forum_posts.asp?TID=Registered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5007 days ago

1493 posts - 2500 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, EnglishC2
Studies: German, Russian, Japanese

Message 17 of 32
04 January 2013 at 9:15am | IP Logged 
Mr. Medialis, long time no-see!
Happy New TAC, teammate! How you doin' with parallel texts lately?
I'm about to give that a little boost, just in case you want to jump in ;)

1 person has voted this message useful

Toffeeliz
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 5461 days ago

116 posts - 130 votes 
Speaks: English*, Mandarin
Studies: Russian

Message 18 of 32
04 January 2013 at 1:44pm | IP Logged 
Best of luck in 2013, I can't wait to hear about your Russian studies!

M. Medialis
Diglot
TAC 2010 Winner
Sweden
Joined 6138 days ago

397 posts - 508 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: Russian, Japanese, French

Message 19 of 32
30 January 2013 at 10:49pm | IP Logged 
Team Tac 2013 - Team MIR - Log #1

@Everyone: Thanks for all the replies! :) I don't think I've ever had so much activity in my log before, go team MIR!

The beginning of the year has been a bit on and off language-learning wise but now I intend to start firing up the engines again! :D

Japanese Fun

I finally had my first 2013 tea-ceremony this evening. Right now I'm watching anime and Japanese drama and playing the Visual Novel that I've found. When I play Visual Novels I do it as a Scriptorium session where I look-up every word and expression that I'm curious or unsure about and write them down. As I mentioned earlier, the format of the games are so ideal because I only see one sentence at a time - thus eliminating the desire to just jump forward and miss the story. I've already been able to see some progress thanks to the visual novel, learning lots of new words and how to write them!

Some Japanese Progress

I did some free-hand listening to some podcasts before and noticed that I can understand a lot more know. Then I had the following conversation with myself:

Me: -Hey, I kinda got what they said - Japanese has started to make sense!!
Myself: -Well, calm down, it's not that impressive since they only are using such common phrases and easy words
Me: -...Hey, but wait a minute, when did those words become so easy?? This is fast native Japanese and I'm almost following parts of what they're saying! It's crazy! :D

I also was excited when I saw the word "スマホ" (sumaho) for the first time and intuitively correctly guessed that it was a Japanized version of the English word 'smartphone'. The katakana is sometimes quite logical in its own little quirky way.

-----------------------------------------

Team MIR - M. Medialis

Edited by M. Medialis on 30 January 2013 at 10:49pm

M. Medialis
Diglot
TAC 2010 Winner
Sweden
Joined 6138 days ago

397 posts - 508 votes 

Message 20 of 32
09 February 2013 at 10:19am | IP Logged 
Team Tac 2013 - Team MIR - Log #2

新年快樂, Happy Chinese New Year to everyone!! :)

I am excited!! I have found a new boost of language learning inspiration, and I have just decided what my new language will be:

*drum roll*

Mandarin Chinese (Taiwan accent)!!

This language has been singing to me a lot lately, and I finally think my Japanese is stable enough to add a new language without the risk of losing the Japanese purity.

I also made my traditional Mirror Evaluation: I walk up to a mirror and start acting like I was fluent in Mandarin (making up some random sounds that I think resembles Chinese). It felt perfect, so I'm ready to go!

I've also spent an evening finding some really cool LR materials that I will jump straight into. Maybe this will be the time when M. Medialis finally sets out to conquer the next element in the legendary CJK* (or as I like to call it: the East-Asian Triforce).

If I don't suddenly change track again, my goal is to reach what I call Minimal Natural Listening in Mandarin before the summer is over (then, I may take a short trip to Taiwan). Minimal Natural Listening is a term I made up, it is a stage where you easily can hear individual words and follow the rhythm of the language with intuitive knowledge of the sentence structures - without necessarily understanding many words.

Japanese Progress

I'm progressing nicely with my Japanese - filling page after page with Japanese text as I do my Visual Novel Scriptorium and Blog Scriptorium.

CJK = Chinese, Japanese and Korean (one of the ultimate polyglot trophies).

Team MIR - M. Medialis

Josquin
Heptaglot
Germany
Joined 4625 days ago

2266 posts - 3992 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Latin, Italian, Russian, Swedish
Studies: Japanese, Irish, Portuguese, Persian

Message 21 of 32
10 March 2013 at 1:35pm | IP Logged 
こんにちは and Здравствуй, M. Medialis! How is everything going? Are you busy with your Asian languages or have you been doing any Russian lately? Would be great to hear from you again!

Успехов!

Teango
Triglot
Winner TAC 2010 & 2012
United States
teango.wordpress.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5337 days ago

2210 posts - 3734 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Russian
Studies: Hawaiian, French, Toki Pona

Message 22 of 32
17 March 2013 at 8:40am | IP Logged 
I love this mirror technique, M-san! I'm going to try it one out myself with Japanese right now...*short trip to nearest mirror; hachimaki right way up this time; strange untranslatable Kurosawa-esque noises coming from the bathroom...3 minutes later*...しまった, I still need a yukata! U.U

Good luck with the next peak in your CJK triforce challenge. I really hope you reach Minimal Natural Listening by the end of summer, and am looking forward to hearing how the Japanese Visual Novels are coming along too. :D

Edited by Teango on 17 March 2013 at 8:41am

Woodsei
Bilingual Diglot
Winner TAC 2012
United States
justpaste.it/Woodsei
Joined 4578 days ago

614 posts - 782 votes 
Speaks: English*, Arabic (Egyptian)*
Studies: Russian, Japanese, Hungarian

Message 23 of 32
01 April 2013 at 5:35pm | IP Logged 
I know it's long-overdue, but good to see you back, M-san! And your goals for this year
are just what I'm all about too! And I like your Visual Novel technique! がんばってね、エムー
さん!

M. Medialis
Diglot
TAC 2010 Winner
Sweden
Joined 6138 days ago

397 posts - 508 votes 

Message 24 of 32
02 May 2013 at 11:26pm | IP Logged 
Team Tac 2013 - Team MIR - Log #3

@Josquin: Thanks for dropping by! I'm always tempted to activate my Russian again, but for now, I just get my Russian fix by mumbling some random phrases to myself every now and then: "я люблю. Я это люблю."

@Teango: You should totally buy a yukata though! It makes the 緑茶 (green tea) taste so much better, I promise! :D   And the feeling of politely nodding (うなずく) in front of the mirror is priceless.

@Woodsei: どうもありがとう、 W-さン!! Saw that you may get the chance to go to Japan next year, that would be so awesome if it becomes true! :)   夢に向かって!!  (=toward the dream!)

What have I been up to lately?

Yes, I'm also waay overdue. Actually, I changed my password at this forum before, and literally got locked out from this forum for almost a month (waiting for a moderator to confirm my account). Being unable to post for that long kinda killed my forum log inspiration (sorry), but now I'm back again! :)

So have I done anything? Actually yes! In February, I had an amazing Japanese study period - really, I haven't had that kind of flow in ages. I was playing visual novels (which in my case means doing intensive scriptorioum and looking up lots of new words) every evening, and I leveled up my skills in most areas.

I've also been dabbling with Mandarin a little by LRing some chapters of a Chinese novel (Fortress Beseiged). The LR works pretty well when I'm not actively studying Japanese. But when I'm in the Japanese zone, my brain wants to fit in the Chinese words into the Japanese grammar (which puts the verb last in the sentence). Right now, I rather play around with Japanese, so I'll wait before I dive deeper into Chinese. I just plan to practice the tones and learn some basic vocabulary from my Chinese co-worker.

The Japanese Power Punch!

Right now I'm totally excited! I'm surfing through my Japanese happyland again and I'm learning so much. This evening, I got a short little euphoric moment when I came across the word 全速力 (ぜんそくりょく = full speed) in my Visual Novel and actually was able to recall the meaning and nail the pronunciation! Longer words aren't scary anymore, because I've started to get an intuition for how to naturally break down the words into kanji parts and then build them up again (if that makes sense).

I have also taken up LR again. First I LRed "I am a Cat" again last weekend. Then, I had a 7 hour long LR-session, which is probably a personal record. -And now I've started to LR "Botchan" again and I can really notice that I am improving.

And on top of all this, my scriptorium book gets filled, page after page, with perfect and pretty Japanese characters. ^^ Japanese is fantastic!

Team MIR - M. Medialis

This discussion contains 32 messages over 4 pages: << Prev 1 24  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version