Diglot
Germany
Joined 4146 days ago

20 posts - 22 votes
Speaks: German*, English
Studies: French, Japanese, Greek

Message 9 of 108
03 January 2013 at 9:01pm | IP Logged 
Γεια σου, embici. Gathering from what you write about your Greek, I think we might be at a similiar
level. I'm glad about that, because that means I'm not the only one in team Sparta stuck in the middle
between those who just started Greek and those who already know half the language.

I can totally relate to those false cognates, especially the του and σου. I've had French lessons for
many years at school and I also learned a little Spanish. That's why I still have to concentrate
nearly every time to get that right.

Greek cases turned out to be rather easy to understand. Three of them are basically used the same way
as in German. And the vocative, the only case that doesn't exist in German, is the easiest one to use
in my opinion. After all, it's only used when you talk directly to someone/when you address someone,
like: Γιώργω, πού είναι το βιβλίο; (Giorgo, where is the book?) - The name is actually Γιώργως
(Giorgos), but looses the ς in the end.
What I found interesting, is, that the vocative isn't restricted to names only, but can be used for
basically any noun.

Anyway, καλή τύχη στο TAC σου!

2 persons have voted this message useful

embici
Triglot
CanadaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4392 days ago

263 posts - 370 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, French
Studies: Greek

Message 10 of 108
04 January 2013 at 7:18pm | IP Logged 
This month is devoted to Greek and French.

Le nouveau Grec sans peine is my very first Assimil course. I decided to use it as
prescribed for the first fifty lessons. Although, I was delinquent as I did not do a
little bit every day. But, I completely refrained from doing any writing while in the
passive wave. Now that I'm on lesson 53 I've started writing out the dialogues from the
early lessons and I've started making vocabulary lists for the lessons I'm working on
now. It takes time, especially since I'm printing each letter rather than writing in
cursive, but that's something we've talked about a lot on another thread.

I've also started Michel Thomas Advanced course. I felt I needed some practice with
verb tenses and I find this program quite good for that.

January and February: French
I've been listening to La Premiere chaine de Radio-Canada on the radio whenever I can.
I've bought Arekkusu's book and will give that a look soon as well as Assimil's Using
French.
I begin a French conversation circle in a couple of weeks which I'm looking forward to
as I haven't spoken French in any depth for a very long time.

March: I will pick Dutch, Italian or Catalan and give it one month to see how I like it
and then move on to another before settling on one for the rest of the year.
1 person has voted this message useful

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5116 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 11 of 108
04 January 2013 at 7:29pm | IP Logged 
I envy you for being so advanced in Greek. I wish I had gotten that far!

What are the main differences between Canadian French and French French?

embici
Triglot
Joined 4392 days ago

263 posts - 370 votes 

Message 12 of 108
07 January 2013 at 1:08am | IP Logged 
Solfrid Cristin wrote:

Hmm, I really don't know. It seems there are some obvious differences between Iberian and Latin American
Spanish (e.g. use of vosotros, pronunciation of c and z) but I can't think of any examples in French. I'm sure
someone else around here will know better.

For me, I prefer to listen to Canadian French because the pronunciation is clearer in some ways. I remember
the first time I heard someone from France speak I was so confused because they didn't seem to distinguish
between the "in" and the "en" sounds. For example, In France, vin (wine) and vent (wind) sound identical (at
least to my ears) , while in Canada they sound very different.

En tout cas, most of the French that I read is from France. I have yet to find a news source in French from Canada
that I like. But maybe I should keep looking.

Edited for typos galore.

Edited by embici on 07 January 2013 at 1:55pm

renaissancemedi
Bilingual Triglot
Greece
Joined 4140 days ago

941 posts - 1309 votes 
Speaks: Greek*, Ancient Greek*, EnglishC2
Studies: French, Russian, Turkish, Modern Hebrew

Message 13 of 108
07 January 2013 at 9:02am | IP Logged 
Saga wrote:

Greek cases turned out to be rather easy to understand. Three of them are basically used the same way
as in German. And the vocative, the only case that doesn't exist in German, is the easiest one to use
in my opinion. After all, it's only used when you talk directly to someone/when you address someone,
like: Γιώργω, πού είναι το βιβλίο; (Giorgo, where is the book?) - The name is actually Γιώργως
(Giorgos), but looses the ς in the end.
What I found interesting, is, that the vocative isn't restricted to names only, but can be used for
basically any noun.

As I am learning German (slowly) I am also struck by the similarities in the grammar of the two languages.

Just a note: It's Γιώργος- vocative Γιώργο. Short for Γεώργιος- vocative Γεώργιε.

Keep up the good work, you are all going to speak greek beautifully one day.

Ogrim
Heptaglot
France
Joined 4421 days ago

991 posts - 1896 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, English, Spanish, French, Romansh, German, Italian
Studies: Russian, Catalan, Latin, Greek, Romanian

Message 14 of 108
07 January 2013 at 12:23pm | IP Logged 
embici wrote:
Solfrid Cristin wrote:

Hmm, I really don't know. It seems there are some obvious differences between Iberian and Latin American
Spanish (e.g. use of vosotros, pronunciation of c and z) but I can't think of any examples in French. I'm sure
someone else around here will know better.

For me, I prefer to listen to Canadian French because the pronunciation is clearer in some ways. I remember
the first time I heard someone from France speak I was so confused because they didn't seem to distinguish
between the "in" and the "en" sounds. For example, In France, vin (wine) and vent (wind) sound identical (at
least to my ears) , while in Canada they sound very different.

En tout cas, most of French that I read is from France. I heave yet to find a news source in French from Canada
that I like. But maybe I should keep looking.

I know this is off topic in a log like this, but if you are really interested in the differences between Québecois and France French, then I recommend Arekkusu's "Le québecois en 10 leçons". He posted about it here.

embici
Triglot
Joined 4392 days ago

263 posts - 370 votes 

Message 15 of 108
07 January 2013 at 9:47pm | IP Logged 
Ogrim wrote:
I know this is off topic in a log like this, but if you are really
interested in the differences between Québecois and France French, then I recommend
Arekkusu's "Le québecois en 10 leçons". He posted about it language.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=33835&PN=1">here.

I have a copy but haven't looked at it yet. It's on my January and February To-Do list
for sure.

embici
Triglot
Joined 4392 days ago

263 posts - 370 votes 

Message 16 of 108
09 January 2013 at 8:19pm | IP Logged 
I've just completed Lesson 55 of Assimil's le nouveau Grec sans peine and the first CD of Michel Thomas' Advanced
Greek.

I'm beginning to wonder if I should start doing a bit of conversation practice on myngle or italki. I've never used
those sites before, and I'm not sure I have enough Greek in my head to converse for an hour (or even if I can transfer
what's in my head to my mouth). :)

Anyway, that's where I am now.

This discussion contains 108 messages over 14 pages: << Prev 13 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version