Triglot
CanadaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4390 days ago

263 posts - 370 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, French
Studies: Greek

Message 57 of 108
12 April 2013 at 2:14am | IP Logged 
I have been using Routledge's Greek: An Essential Grammar of the Modern Language. I'm
finding it extremely helpful. I hear that it's good to use materials that are only in
the target language, but grammar is my weak spot so I appreciate having English
explanations.

I have long been aware of the fact that women and men have different endings on their
surnames in Greece. Beyond recognizing the difference, I never gave it much thought.
This Greek grammar book however mentioned that the woman's surname is in the genitive
case of her husband's. That got me thinking about surnames for women in Spanish.
Although I've never heard a woman in Latin America go by her husbands last name, I have
read about how some women take their husband's name but put "de" before it. That is, if
Yolanda Gonzalez marries Juan Garcia, she would be called Yolanda Gonzalez de Garcia.
It seems very similar to the Greek custom.

1 person has voted this message useful

renaissancemedi
Bilingual Triglot
Greece
Joined 4138 days ago

941 posts - 1309 votes 
Speaks: Greek*, Ancient Greek*, EnglishC2
Studies: French, Russian, Turkish, Modern Hebrew

Message 58 of 108
12 April 2013 at 9:36am | IP Logged 
LOL yes, the posessive genitive (γενική κτητική).

embici
Triglot
Joined 4390 days ago

263 posts - 370 votes 

Message 59 of 108
09 May 2013 at 3:14am | IP Logged 
My Skype lessons seem to be getting more enjoyable now as I'm getting more comfortable
using what I've learned. I have been having 1-2 hours of lessons a week for a couple of
months now. Unfortunately I've been spending less time studying on my own as work and
home life have been taking up more of my time. Things should slow down in June so I
hope to pick up speed then.

I've been sticking with lessons for now. I've been contacted by a few Greeks who want
to practice their English with me, but I've mostly declined because I think they will
quickly get scared off by my beginner Greek. Maybe I'll make that my goal in the
summer: to find some conversation exchange partners.

Since I find I don't have a lot of time to sit down with my books and audio I listen to
VocabuLearn Greek when I have a chance and I re-read Dora the Explorer in Greek to my
daughter at bed time. Fortunately she's at the age where we can read the same books
over and over again and she doesn't tire of them. The pictures and familiar themes keep
her interested enough to listen to the Greek. In fact, I have read her Dora books in
Spanish, French, Greek and English and she seems to enjoy listening to them all! She's
even learned to roll her Rs recently. :)

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5114 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 60 of 108
09 May 2013 at 7:37am | IP Logged 
What a great idea to read the same children's stories to her in different languages! I have done it in English
and French, but if I had tried Greek I suspect the kids would have put their foot down. And I am sure your
beginner's Greek is not that bad :-)

embici
Triglot
Joined 4390 days ago

263 posts - 370 votes 

Message 61 of 108
04 June 2013 at 1:03pm | IP Logged 
I'm still plugging away at Greek.

Work has been very busy, and stressful and creeping into my personal time a lot over the
last couple of months so my study time has greatly decreased. I have one hour of Greek
lessons via Skype every week so that helps.

I'm on lesson 9 of Ελληνικά Α'. I find that even though many of the grammatical concepts
are not new, it re-enforces what I've learned elsewhere. It has no grammatical
explanations whatsoever so I'm not sure I would use this book for self study but it's
fine with a teacher.

Crush
Tetraglot
ChinaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5645 days ago

1622 posts - 2299 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Mandarin, Esperanto
Studies: Basque

Message 62 of 108
04 June 2013 at 3:29pm | IP Logged 
Glad to see you're still plugging away :) I've just realized the other day that i've been on this site for nearly five (maybe more?) years and have only learned one language reasonably well. My original goals were to speak 5 or 6 languages well by now, haha! Btw, how are your Skype lessons? I did a couple Skype lessons in Chinese, some better than others, i actually found a teacher i really liked. But paying for things online in China is a royal pain (to do lots of things like pay in foreign currency you have a Chinese ID card aka be a Chinese citizen) so i eventually just dropped it.

Hope i can catch up with you one day :) Keep it up! I also really enjoyed reading about how you read stories in foreign languages to your daughter!

embici
Triglot
Joined 4390 days ago

263 posts - 370 votes 

Message 63 of 108
08 June 2013 at 4:31pm | IP Logged 
The Skype lessons have been interesting. I've had lessons with six or seven different
teachers by now and I've settled on one. I'm not sure he's the best of the bunch, but I
invested in the text book he recommended and I feel I need to plough through it! He is
also quite friendly and keeps the conversation moving. His price is also reasonable.

I was surprised by how much the quality and price varied between teachers and sites.
For example, I went to one site which was fairly high priced, and supposedly more
professional and the teacher I had there expected me to come up with lesson plans and
conversation topics. I found that strange. If I wanted to do all that myself, I could
have looked into cheaper options like "speaking practice" or a conversation exchange.

I have found Skype lessons incredibly helpful. It has really improved my spoken Greek a
lot.

I'm thinking of starting up a conversation exchange now that I can carry on a wee bit
of conversation in Greek (plus life and work have gotten a little bit less hectic
lately). I'd also like to try it to brush up on my Spanish which is terribly rusty for
lack of use. I'm curious how I should begin. Is it normal for people to just start up
right away with the webcam? It seems a bit strange to talk to a complete stranger that
way but, I did do that with the italki, Myngle, and verbalplanet lessons. Does anyone
have advice for the first time?

I suppose I could just do a search of this site for some advice, couldn't I? :)

Crush, I'm surprised about the difficulties you've experienced paying for Chinese
lessons. Paypal isn't an option on those sites?

stelingo
Hexaglot
United Kingdom
Joined 5612 days ago

722 posts - 1076 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Portuguese, French, German, Italian
Studies: Russian, Czech, Polish, Greek, Mandarin

Message 64 of 108
08 June 2013 at 8:35pm | IP Logged 
embici wrote:
I'm still plugging away at Greek.

Work has been very busy, and stressful and creeping into my personal time a lot over the
last couple of months so my study time has greatly decreased. I have one hour of Greek
lessons via Skype every week so that helps.

I'm on lesson 9 of Ελληνικά Α'. I find that even though many of the grammatical concepts
are not new, it re-enforces what I've learned elsewhere. It has no grammatical
explanations whatsoever so I'm not sure I would use this book for self study but it's
fine with a teacher.

I discovered a copy of Ελληνικά B' in London the other week, and have just started using it. Haven't got far yet, but so far I am liking it.

This discussion contains 108 messages over 14 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 79 10 11 12 13 14  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version