Germany
Joined 4153 days ago

20 posts - 22 votes
Speaks: German*, English
Studies: French, Japanese, Greek

Message 9 of 13
25 January 2013 at 1:12pm | IP Logged 
@renaissancemedi: A belated ευχαριστώ πολύ για την διόρθωσή του ^^

I still haven't learned the word οποίος, even though I've occasionally seen it in use. But that construction reminds me of French:

στα Ελληνικά: ο λόγος για τον οποίο
en français: la raison pour laquelle

whereas in English and German it is:

in English: the reason why
auf Deutsch: der Grund, warum

Hm, 一石二鳥ですね。Two birds with one stone, as the Japanese say. I learn something new in Greek and repeat the same thing in French. Not bad.

Greek/Ελληνικά

Assimil repetition: 14/53 μαθίματα
Langenscheidt repetition: still 0/5 μαθίματα
Easy Reader: 33/46 pages

Yes, I haven't done very much those last days and no real excuse for that...

Japanese/日本語

Kanji: 130/240
Podcasts: 1/4

I reviewed all 1st grade kanji and I'm glad, I did. Until now I always had trouble whenever such a simple thing as a date appeared somewhere. Oh, I understood something like 一月六日 just fine, but being able to actually "read" it was something different altogether. For some reason the words never stuck. I think, I've overcome that problem now :)

French/Français

Tadoku: 291/300 pages
Grammaire: rien

Only one more chapter of Harry Potter à l'école des sorciers to read and I'll have finished the book as well as reached my goal for Tadoku. I'm going to read it again, though, with a dictionary. I'm glad I could follow the story so well, but I want to learn some vocabulary, too. That's something I didn't pay any attention to yet.

Le mois prochain je vais relire Harry Potter, mais cette fois avec un dictionnaire pour apprendre quelques mots. J'ai trouvé la lecture en français pas si difficile comme je le craignais. C'est pourquoi je vais continuer à lire des livres en français pendant cette année. J'ai encore trois livres à la maison. Ca suffit pour le moment.

1 person has voted this message useful

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5123 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 10 of 13
25 January 2013 at 5:07pm | IP Logged 
How do you find Greek Assimil compared to Langenscheidt?

embici
Triglot
CanadaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4399 days ago

263 posts - 370 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, French
Studies: Greek

Message 11 of 13
26 January 2013 at 1:05am | IP Logged 
If you are enjoying your Easy Greek Reader I'd be very pleased if you could share the
title with me.

Saga
Diglot
Germany
Joined 4153 days ago

20 posts - 22 votes
Speaks: German*, English
Studies: French, Japanese, Greek

Message 12 of 13
27 January 2013 at 8:23pm | IP Logged 
@Cristina: You can't really compare Assimil and Langenscheidt because their method is very
different. But that is exactly why I use both of them. They complement each other quite well.

Assimil has a lot of text and audio, but only few grammar explanations and exercises - whereas
Langenscheidt has fewer text and audio, but more detailed grammar explanations as well as exercises.
Langenscheidt is pretty much a traditional course: first a lesson text and vocabulary list, than
that lesson's grammar points and finally some exercises.

Assimil claims to lead from A1 to B2 and Langenscheidt up to B1. Well, I have my doubts about
reaching B2, but a B1 level with both books might be possible.

I've read that some people don't find the Greek Assimil course very interesting compared to other
Assimil courses. I can't really comment on that, because that's the first time I use Assimil. But I
find both Assimil's and Langenscheidt's texts not especially, well, interesting/funny/whatever.
Typical textbook texts, I'd say.

@embici: The Greek Easy Readers are divided into five levels with 1 being the easiest and 5 the most
difficult level. The one I'm currently reading is called Ποιος είναι ο Α.Μ.; and a level 1 book.
Last year I've already read Ξενοδοχείο Ατλαντίς, παρακαλώ. Both of them are little crime stories and
I find them rather easy to understand at my current level. There are, of course, some words I have
to look up, but that was to be expected.

I wanted to read something different from textbooks once in a while. But at such a low level as mine
there is not much you can read and understand. So those Easy Readers turned out to be the best
solution for that problem.

Monox D. I-Fly
Indonesia
monoxdifly.iopc.us
Joined 4924 days ago

762 posts - 664 votes 
Speaks: Indonesian*

Message 13 of 13
19 September 2016 at 3:00pm | IP Logged 
Saga wrote:
Hm, 一石二鳥ですね。Two birds with one stone, as the Japanese say.

Isseki nidori desu ne? Is that how to read it? I am still have some difficulties reading multiple-reading Kanjis.

This discussion contains 13 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version