girlonthewing
United States
Joined 4341 days ago

11 posts - 11 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: Arabic (classical), Arabic (Levantine), German

Message 1 of 2
01 January 2013 at 7:57pm | IP Logged 
Hello! I've tried unsuccessfully to keep a log on HTLAL before, but I'm hoping that TAC 2013 will help me stay
motivated. I'm in my last year of university here in the U.S. where I focus on Middle Eastern Studies and Religious
Studies. My two languages for the year are Arabic and German, putting me on the Alef and Schnitzel teams :)

Arabic
I've been studying Arabic since just after my first year of college when I traveled to Lebanon for two months to learn
the language. I also spent four months in Jordan in an intensive Arabic program. I've been studying now for two and
a half years and my Arabic is still nowhere near the level I'd like it to be. I especially need to improve my listening
and speaking skills. I have Al-Kitaab, which we've used at school, as well as several other programs I haven't tried
before to mix things up. I'll also be taking a Moroccan dialect class at school this semester.

German
Although I spent a few years living in Germany as a kid, I never really did learn much German. However, before that I
lived in the Netherlands and had near-native Dutch (for a child). Though the Dutch has (really unfortunately) since
been forgotten, the previous knowledge does aid my German studies a bit, at least with pronunciation. I started to
study German casually this summer when I was in Berlin for an internship, but I didn't get very far. I'd like to step up
my German study this year so I can hopefully see some improvement before 2014. I have several German language
learning programs, including Living Language, Pimsleur, and FSI. I'll probably work through them all sporadically,
doing whatever I find most interesting at the time. I really would like my German studies to remain a fun hobby.

I'm currently in Germany visiting my boyfriend's family for my winter break, so I probably won't have much, if any,
time for language study untill after I get home on Jan 13. I can't wait to get started! :)

Edited by girlonthewing on 01 January 2013 at 8:02pm

1 person has voted this message useful

JohannaNYC
Bilingual Triglot
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4239 days ago

251 posts - 361 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, English*, Italian
Studies: Croatian, Serbian, Arabic (Egyptian)

Message 2 of 2
04 January 2013 at 7:37pm | IP Logged 
You go to such a great school. I've never heard of any college offering Moroccan Arabic
(not that I've gone around checking out every course schedule for every college in the
nation). I heard from my Syrian taylor, who's married to a Moroccan woman, that the
vocabulary between shamee and maghrebee is completely different. I look forward to
reading you log and finding out about any other differences between the two and where
they overlap.
1 person has voted this message useful

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version