Joined 5900 days ago

707 posts - 1219 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Polish

Message 17 of 134
13 February 2013 at 7:25pm | IP Logged 
Anki = 3368
Hours studied = 31 (Total:133)

No exciting news to report, just more Anki / lang-8 / Samo Życie / Dana Bilec (declensions).

I was looking for Polish parallel texts (perferably with audio).
This is what I've found so far:
1. Five texts from the University of Groningen. Includes audio. Bible, Winnie the Pooh, Alice in Wonderland.
2. Fourteen texts from Lonweb. Mostly fiction, no audio. The site covers 55 languages including Polish.
3. Listening with text and video (realpolish)

Please let me know if you have other recommendations. I need lots of listening exercises.

Words of the Week
Mniej więcej - 'more or less' (roughly). Roughly 20-30 minutes before dinner...('Mniej więcej na 20-30 minut przed kolacją...')
Oto - 'here is' / 'here are' / 'this is'. Here are the simple rules that will help us...('Oto proste zasady, które pomogą nam...')
Objętość - 'volume' of space.
Pojemność - 'capacity' ability to hold
Mrowienie - 'tingle / tingling' ('pins and needles') e.g in the leg

And finally....
Już dobrze - 'it's ok' / 'it's alright' / 'there, there now' - for reassurance
As perfectly illustrated below:

"It's alright, I was only joking. You don't look at all fat..."

@Thanks Pesahson!

Edited by Mooby on 27 February 2013 at 12:18pm

3 persons have voted this message useful

pesahson
Diglot
Poland
Joined 5523 days ago

448 posts - 840 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, English
Studies: French, Portuguese, Norwegian

Message 18 of 134
13 February 2013 at 9:58pm | IP Logged 
Try Lingq.com. They have some content in Polish. It's always text with audio and downloading it is free, only some more advanced features require payed membership.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Fuenf_Katzen
Diglot
United States
notjustajd.wordpress
Joined 4164 days ago

337 posts - 476 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Polish, Ukrainian, Afrikaans

Message 19 of 134
15 February 2013 at 2:28am | IP Logged 
I use realpolish quite a bit to do my listening and reading. I definitely suffer from "all Polish words sound the same" syndrome. So I like realpolish a lot, because it has the text along with the audio.
1 person has voted this message useful

Cavesa
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4804 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, FrenchC2, EnglishC1
Studies: Spanish, German, Italian

Message 20 of 134
15 February 2013 at 1:42pm | IP Logged 
A great log. Thanks for it. Polish is only on my hitlist (I suppose I'll get to it next year) but I am glad even now to read about your experience.

Mooby
Scotland
Joined 5900 days ago

707 posts - 1219 votes 

Message 21 of 134
21 February 2013 at 11:10pm | IP Logged 
Anki = 3411
Hours Studied = 40 (Total:173)

It's gone 9pm and I've studied for 5 hours today.
High quantity, but not great quality.
I had a hospital appointment and was picked up by patient transport. The hospital is 40 miles away, and once I get there I usually have to wait around, so I decided to take along my trashy crime novel 'Miłość i Zbrodnia'. I normally keep this book in my car to read when I'm held up or having to wait for someone, so progress is very slow. But today I thought I'd have a good opportunity to make headway. In the end I managed to read 3 pages! I read them in a very low voice without stopping, then read them again pausing frequently to translate and study grammar and syntax. There's still a heap of words I don't know.

I got home in the afternoon and studied vocabulary, acquiring 4 new words including odświeżać - 'to refresh', which is ironic because I'm completely spent now. I had wanted to put in another hour tonight, but it would have been fruitless. The motivation is there but my mind can't take anymore.

I'm seeing Aga tomorrow morning for conversation practice, and teaching English to Piotr (Grażyna's partner) in the evening. So it's time to call it a day.

Words of the Week
Przechowywać - 'to store'. They store potatoes in the cellar ('przechowują ziemniaki w piwnicy')
Wyblakły - 'faded' / 'washed-out' e.g jeans, colour, hair.
Spłoszony - 'startled' / 'spooked' ...like a horse, bird or someone caught doing something.
Po co - 'what for'(?). What's the rush for? ('po co ten pośpiech?)
No i co - 'so what'(?). So what do we do? ('no i co zrobimy?')

@peasahson; Thanks, I'll check it out!
@FK; I think (hope) there's a cure for this syndrome. But it involves a massive daily dose of listening!
@Cavesa; Many thanks and nice to hear from you!

ok
Dobranoc.

Edited by Mooby on 22 February 2013 at 7:15am

stelingo
Hexaglot
United Kingdom
Joined 5627 days ago

722 posts - 1076 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Portuguese, French, German, Italian
Studies: Russian, Czech, Polish, Greek, Mandarin

Message 22 of 134
22 February 2013 at 12:39am | IP Logged 
Just discovered RealPolish thanks to your log, Mooby. Looks very interesting. Thanks for the link.

Mooby
Scotland
Joined 5900 days ago

707 posts - 1219 votes 

Message 23 of 134
01 March 2013 at 12:24am | IP Logged 
Anki = 3464
Hours Studied = 31 (Total: 204)

I crammed in 7 hours of study today - feel knackered, but strangely satisfied.
Listened to Samo Życie (Odczinek 140) and an episode of Mała Czarna. Reviewed the Accusative case for 'men' nouns and picked up some vocabulary to do with hair and hairdressing.
I'm seeing Aga tomorrow for some precious conversation practice. I aim to go for a swim first, so I hope I'm not too tired to say anything.
I've looked at the realpolish website and it promises to be very helpful - I just haven't got round to making a start on any of the site's activities yet.

No other news, except that I've swopped my bedtime book (Stanisław Lem's Kongres Futurologiczny) as the level is just too high for me at the moment. I've replaced it with Awantura o Basię - a book I read 3 years ago when I understood less than 20% of the content. It'll be interesting to see how much my reading has improved.

Words of the Week
Strata - 'waste' A waste of time ('strata czasu')
Kłócić się -'to argue' / 'to quarrel'. They are always arguing about money ('zawsze się kłócą o pieniądze')
Etap - 'stage' of a process / 'leg' of a journey
Poić - Napoić - 'to water' [ANIMALS] give water to. I watered the pigs ('napoiłem świnie')
Podlewać - Podlać -to water' [PLANTS]. He was watering his tulips ('podlewał tulipany')
Owsianka - 'porridge'

@stelingo: Nie ma za co!

Dobranoc......

MerryCrassmas
Bilingual Diglot
Groupie
United States
languagewanderlust.c
Joined 4858 days ago

62 posts - 68 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, English*
Studies: German, Russian, Czech, Polish

Message 24 of 134
01 March 2013 at 6:29am | IP Logged 
Anyone want to be my language partner? I have progressed somewhat with Polish, I just wish I had a Polish speaking
friend or someone who is also studying :( We can exchange emails or practice speaking through Facebook. Let me
know!

This discussion contains 134 messages over 17 pages: << Prev 1 24 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version