Joined 5915 days ago

707 posts - 1219 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Polish

Message 105 of 134
14 November 2013 at 2:55pm | IP Logged 
Anki = 4440
Hours Studied = 56 (Total: 1098)

There's not a lot new I can add to make my reports more interesting. It's just been the usual "read lots - listen a bit - workbook" routine.
I finally finished lesson 16 in Colloquial Polish (1995 edition) and will now begin the next lesson on ordinal numbers. The Polish numbering system gives me nightmares, so I'm in for a few sleepless nights!
I watched episode 360 of Samo Życie last night. Even with the episodes I've skipped (about 50), that amounts to about 120 hours of watching this serial since I started 3 years ago. That's 5 complete days of my life. Despite this, I still don't understand more than half of the dialogue. If it was written down and I could read it, the figure would be over 90%. My listening skills have to improve considerably. And fast -I don't think I could cope with watching the 1000+ remaining episodes! I do listen to other things of course, to keep sane. Mainly podcasts on Radio Trójka.

Words / Phrases of the Week
Proste jak drut! - "Simplicity itself!", "as simple as ABC!"
Obleśny - "lecherous", "oily" character
Zrównoważony - "balanced", "even-tempered"
Cwany - "cunning", "crafty". Cwaniak - "sly dog", "dodger"
Tak czy owak Informal - "either way", "anyways"
Ciężki kawałek chleba - Lit: "a heavy piece of bread" - "Hard work", "blood, sweat and tears"
Aczkolwiek - "albeit", "although"
Z innej beczki - Lit: "from another barrel" or "from a different barrel". "On another subject", "On another note". Used when changing subjects:
'And now for something completely different...' ('a teraz z innej beczki..... ')

Disco Polo Fusion
Napisz proszę, chociaż krótki list with text.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Fuenf_Katzen
Diglot
United States
notjustajd.wordpress
Joined 4179 days ago

337 posts - 476 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Polish, Ukrainian, Afrikaans

Message 106 of 134
14 November 2013 at 5:31pm | IP Logged 
Some of the characters on Samo Życie do speak unclearly, not to mention I just get annoyed when I see that a particular character is obviously going to have a large part of the episode so I just stop paying attention. Usually I'm pretty happy if I can figure out what is going on in each scene, although sometimes that doesn't even happen!
1 person has voted this message useful

Chung
Diglot
Joined 6966 days ago

4228 posts - 8259 votes 
20 sounds
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Polish, Slovak, Uzbek, Turkish, Korean, Finnish

Message 107 of 134
14 November 2013 at 5:36pm | IP Logged 
Ordinal numerals are relatively easy since they behave like adjectives.

Cardinal numerals are indeed a cock-up in Polish (not to mention in most other Slavonic languages) in large part because of the loss of the dual.

Mooby
Scotland
Joined 5915 days ago

707 posts - 1219 votes 

Message 108 of 134
14 November 2013 at 6:01pm | IP Logged 
I'm the same FK :) If a character is annoying / mumbles, I hit the fast forward.
Thanks Chung for the reassurance, I'll take any I can get!

Mooby
Scotland
Joined 5915 days ago

707 posts - 1219 votes 

Message 109 of 134
17 November 2013 at 6:32pm | IP Logged 
The Post Conversational Experience

Yesterday, I had my longest ever conversational practise. My friend, Grażyna, had invited me over for a meal. On the last occasion, the house was full of Poles and it was difficult to hear let alone try to compose something to say. So I went to the front door wondering how I was going to cope. This time there were only two other guests, a couple called Jacek and Renata on a short visit from Poland and due to fly back the next day. Conversation started in Polish and continued for an hour and a half, after which we switched to English and then back to Polish a few times, according to what felt most comfortable in the moment. For the first few minutes my conversation was slow and my brain out of gear; half an hour (and a glass of wine) later I was flowing a lot better.
It was undoubtedly my best conversation to date.
As I drove home I played back some of the conversations in my mind, and discovered that I was unable to recreate them accurately. I'd forgotten words, expressions and grammar that only a few minutes before I had been using no problem. It made me realise how conversation is drawn out of me as I engage in it with 'live' people. The few snippets of conversation I did recall, and had felt pleased with at the time, I now realised to be be not quite so perfect as I'd thought! But it was a very encouraging experience, and something to build on.
Imagine (I tell myself) what a few weeks of such practise could yield!
2 persons have voted this message useful

Mooby
Scotland
Joined 5915 days ago

707 posts - 1219 votes 

Message 110 of 134
20 November 2013 at 11:30am | IP Logged 
In an effort to amuse myself during Anki marathons, I like to keep an eye open for extremes. Here are a couple I've found so far:

The word with the longest unbroken sequence of consonants: (8, unless you count 'y') skrzywdzić perfective - 'to harm', 'to wrong'
The word with the longest unbroken sequence of diacritical letters: (4) żółć - 'bile', 'gall'

Right, enough fooling around, back to Anki.....193 cards to go.

Mooby
Scotland
Joined 5915 days ago

707 posts - 1219 votes 

Message 111 of 134
21 November 2013 at 5:29pm | IP Logged 
This morning, another book arrived to add to my growing collection; "Sklepy Cynamonowe" (The Cinnamon Shops) by Bruno Schulz. The author was recommended by someone here on HTLAL (sorry, I forget who), and he is by all accounts a literary great. It's only 140 pages long and consists of a collection of related stories. I've got other books ahead in the queue, so it'll have to wait next year probably.
Right now, I'm on page 18 of this travelogue, and picking up lots of colloquialisms. And I'm concurrently reading 'Spadkobierca' (The Heir) by Jan Łysakowski.

Mooby
Scotland
Joined 5915 days ago

707 posts - 1219 votes 

Message 112 of 134
21 November 2013 at 6:17pm | IP Logged 
In the travelogue I mentioned above, I came across the diminuitive 'godzinka' derived from 'godzina' (hour).
My goodness, how the Polish language loves it's diminuitives; if it's a noun we can make a diminuitive out of it! Any noun, you name it, we'll remake it smaller! Even time itself, apparantly.
How can an hour (godzina) be a lesser, more petite hour (godzinka) if both are 60 minutes duration? The answer could be this - a form of liturgical prayer measured by the hour and especially, by the diminuitive form.

I could make a study of Polish Diminuitives.
Every Polish name I know has a diminuitive, sometimes several. E.g Tomasz > Tomek / Katarzyna > Kasia / Artur > Artek / Piotr > Piotrek etc... It's everywhere; dom (house) becomes domek (cottage). It's very quaint. But apart from cuteness, I suspect there's more to making these distinctions than I'm aware of. Here's a couple of threads on the subject:

The use of diminuitive forms in your language
Wikipedia: Diminuitive Talk. The Polish question.

Edited by Mooby on 21 November 2013 at 6:18pm

This discussion contains 134 messages over 17 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version