United Kingdom
Joined 5866 days ago

50 posts - 51 votes 
Speaks: English*

Message 17 of 25
18 January 2013 at 1:45am | IP Logged 
Hi,

Fellow member of Team Sakura here.

Some thoughts on learning kana. Some points may be obvious to you but hopefully one or
two will be of use.

I would learn hiragana first although it is not too important as you will need them
both. You will probably forget how to write odd ones here and there for some time.

Katakana are simpler and you will immediately be able to use them to read English loan
words, which is nice. However, they are nowhere near as useful overall as hiragana.
Also, not all loan words are from English.

The bulk of the Japanese in your textbooks will be made up of hiragana. Knowing
hiragana will allow you to read/write real Japanese (with the aid of a computer to help
with kanji). While you can write entirely in hiragana and not use kanji, it would be
considered somewhat childish.

You should definitely try to use mnemonics. There are no doubt lots of books and
websites out there with suggestions.

For this reason, I would suggest not learning the kana through a textbook. Your
textbook will likely not have good mnemonics. Get some mnemonics and learn any many as
possible as fast as possible. I recommend learning them in rows of 5 (a, i, u, e, o,
etc.). Copy them, cover them up, write them again.

The reason I say go as fast as possible is because the sooner you are away from romaji
the better. Knowing the kana will make the sounds and grammar of Japanese make a lot
more sense.

Try using an SRS program such as Anki or memosyne with a kana deck. There should also
be several kana flashcard/game websites out there. Once you've got the individual kana
down, move on to reading simple words.

Stroke order is essential. You must know the stroke order to write the kana properly.
Don't make it up or guess. Once you get the hang of it, stroke order is fairly logical
and regular.

Got some free time during the day? Write out the kana using your index finger on your
other palm or your leg. Obviously a pen and paper would be better but you can do this
almost anywhere and it's super useful. Make sure you get the stroke order right.

Kana may seem hard at first, don't worry, it will just take a little time (however,
kanji are genuinely hard).

Hope this helps somewhat.

1 person has voted this message useful

fmmarianicolon
Diglot
United States
Joined 4133 days ago

28 posts - 30 votes
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Sign Language
Studies: Japanese

Message 18 of 25
18 January 2013 at 5:25am | IP Logged 
Log for January 10 - 17

The week was almost completely a wash. Unfortunately, I suffered a big setback in my
surgery recovery. I vomited a large quantity of blood (collecting in my stomach from
the tonsillectomy scabs falling off) which led to me being very weak the first half of
the week. The good news is that I'm well enough to go back to work (albeit four days
late), so I can get back on the horse for studying languages. The catch now is finding
time to study now that I'm not at home recovering.

American Sign Language
Today was my first day back at work. Half of our staff are Deaf, which allowed me to
get back in the groove of communicating with ASL. It's not interpreting, but it's
better than no communication at all.

Spanish
I wrote a Lang-8 entry on Jan. 11 (before the setback), but haven't practiced since.

Japanese
I practiced with Memrise before the setback, but have not used it since. My husband
and I watched "My Neighbor Tototo" with the Japanese dialogue and the English
subtitles. I think I heard a few of the phrases I have learned in Memrise (such as
"konnichiwa" and "yoroshiku onegaishimasu") which was exciting. Only two or three
words, but it's more than zero! I do not know the Japanese grammar yet, but I tried to
listen for repeating parts of words and wondered what might help identify verbs or
articles.

fmmarianicolon
Diglot
United States
Joined 4133 days ago

28 posts - 30 votes
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Sign Language

Message 19 of 25
18 January 2013 at 5:27am | IP Logged 
Thanks for the advice, Jasper! I definitely think the mnemonics will help me remember
the hirigana. I haven't used Anki or AnkiDroid yet, but I hear that the AnkiDroid
version 2 may be released soon so I am waiting to start with that. Have you tried
AnkiDroid?

dampingwire
Bilingual Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4452 days ago

1185 posts - 1513 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian*, French

Message 20 of 25
18 January 2013 at 12:32pm | IP Logged 
fmmarianicolon wrote:
Should I combine Genki with Memrise?

I guess it depends on how you learn, but I'd definitely try multiple things at once.

I'd definitely put some time into learning the kana: start with hiragana. You'll see
hiragana all the time so there should be no problem with reinforcing them once you have
learnt them. Katakana are simialr but they are used less so I find them easier to
forget.

Memrise has some great courses and is a fantastic way of learning vocabulary. I started
with the N5 vocab course (this is geared towards the simplest of the JLPT exams) and
now I'm working through N4. Each of these is ~700-800 basic words. It's suprisingly
easy to retain these (as long as you do, say, 2 10m sessions each day. You can stop any
time you like and resume when you have time, so it's quite convenient that way.

I've not used Genki, so I don't know exactly what it's like, but working through that
at the same time as memrise or Anki hasn't hurt me at all (so far as I know :-)).

fmmarianicolon wrote:
Should I try to burn through the JapanesePod101 lessons before
the trail week
runs out?

You should download everything you can (giving priority to the Absolute Beginner/Newbie
lessons I guess). However, even after your trial ends, you can still get the 10 most
recent lessons for free (or so I thought?).

I must admit that when I started listening to this stuff, I found the presenter's
incessant "positivity" jarring, but I've got used to that now. Plenty of the later
lessons are much better from that point of view. JPOD101 is a tremendous resource that
will keep you going for years: it's a shame that they keep sending spammy emails. (I
have a premium subscription that my company paid for and I signed up to the Italian
version to see whether I should recommend it to my daughter for her studies: I get
exactly the same level of spam for each!)

dampingwire
Bilingual Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4452 days ago

1185 posts - 1513 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian*, French

Message 21 of 25
18 January 2013 at 12:35pm | IP Logged 
fmmarianicolon wrote:
I do not know the Japanese grammar yet, but I tried to
listen for repeating parts of words and wondered what might help identify verbs or
articles.

Articles? If you mean "the" or "a" they're easy to recognise as they don't exist :-)

Brun Ugle
Diglot
Norway
brunugle.wordpress.c
Joined 6407 days ago

1292 posts - 1766 votes 
Speaks: English*, NorwegianC1
Studies: Japanese, Esperanto, Spanish, Finnish

Message 22 of 25
18 January 2013 at 5:17pm | IP Logged 
dampingwire wrote:
fmmarianicolon wrote:
I do not know the Japanese grammar yet, but I tried to
articles.

Articles? If you mean "the" or "a" they're easy to recognise as they don't exist :-)

Particles, I think.

Jaseur
Groupie
United Kingdom
Joined 5866 days ago

50 posts - 51 votes 
Speaks: English*

Message 23 of 25
19 January 2013 at 11:23pm | IP Logged 
fmmarianicolon wrote:
Have you tried AnkiDroid?

I'm still getting used to Anki (I used to use Mnemosyne a lot). AnkiDroid sounds good
though.

SRSs are brilliant for language learning. I had to learn kanji with a huge pile of
paper flashcards...

g-bod
Diglot
United KingdomRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5769 days ago

1485 posts - 2002 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese
Studies: French, German

Message 24 of 25
20 January 2013 at 12:18am | IP Logged 
Ankidroid is great, especially when I'm away from home/the computer for any length of time. The only thing is, android phones outside of Japan have a tendency to use Chinese fonts as a default. You can override this by using a custom font within Ankidroid, which is well worth the effort while you are still getting used to kanji.

This discussion contains 25 messages over 4 pages: << Prev 1 24  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version