Language Learning Forum : Language Learning Log Post Reply
Quagles
Norway
Joined 4136 days ago

3 posts - 3 votes
Speaks: Norwegian*

Message 1 of 5
03 January 2013 at 1:15am | IP Logged 
This will be my very first time participating in this challenge。I'm really looking
forward to see exactly how much I'm gonna be able to progress Through one year of
concentrated progress, and hope that when I look back at these posts one year from now,
I can be proud of what I've achieved.

Where do I start, its been about a year since I really got into languages, started by
picking up Japanee and now im so much into it I feel like conquering all the languages
in the world. So last month I also started picking up Chinese, so I will be posting
about those two. Other than this, interest in picking up eventually German, Korean and
Thai. Aiming for fluency in 5 languages by the time i'm 30 (24) - Norwegian (native),
English (fluent), Japanese (int), Mandarin(beg), German(beg, but closely resembles
Norwegian)

Japanese
Current skill is hard to say, but my goal is to pass the jlpt2 this coming summer. My
approach will during these first months mainly be through studying grammar, vocab,
reading and through hours of listening. Talking whill mainly be when I go to Japan for
language school this spring, but also some on skype.

Short term goals for until end of next week:
- Finish up the book the last remaining chapters of Tobira, will be repeated probably
quite a lot of times through the year though and used as a reference note after I'm
done.
- Read the new articles on NHK easy news as it is updated.
- At least 3 hours of listening through tv, podcasts, movies.
- Finish my Anki rounds
- Make a new Japanese friend through skype or something.

My current weakest points are easily conversation and suffering from lack of vocabulary
to read. Even simple manga and such will have quite a lot of unknown words, and it ends
up quickly being discouraged. Even if vocab is something I spend a lot of time on, it
is just never ending, and its hard to get in enough more than a few chunks a day.

I hope to achieve fluency within a few years, with fluency defined as being able to
speak comfortably without hesitation when speaking with others, reading native
materials without excessive use of dictionaries and watching tv shows while largely
understanding all of the content.

Mandarin

Methodology:
- Chinesepod, listen to 1-3 new lessons a day
- Skritter, kanji writing 20-30mins a day
- Memrise, about 30mins a day.
- Will be taking lessons as well, so we'll see how this changes after a while.

Aim for the year:
Pass HSK2, I don't really know what to expect to be able to learn in one year with
Mandarin, but I think this is achievable. I hope to visit at least for 10 days in
either Taiwan or China this year. I guess im a bit careful to what my expectations
regarding Mandarin is in this first year, as far as I see it now I have gigantic
obstacle that is called pronunciation in front of me that is my biggest concern.
Grammar wise, Hanzi, Hanzi, I see this as the easiest parts of Mandarin. While talking,
listening, vocab and the pronunciation which is what will really give me the challenge.

Just like when starting Japanese, I don't really have much "baggage" when it comes to
Mandarin as I had when starting Japanese. From Japanese, I get the advantage of knowing
Kanji, thats about it. Before learning Japanese, I guess the only advantage might
be..knowing English makes learning katakana words pretty easy (rough pronunciation, not
necessarily exact pronunciation). Other than that I still don't see much similarities
between Chinese and other languages that I have studied before which is as expected.

Ultimate goal: Live an extended period in China, somehow.
1 person has voted this message useful

kujichagulia
Japan
Joined 4628 days ago

1031 posts - 1571 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Japanese, Portuguese

Message 2 of 5
03 January 2013 at 7:19am | IP Logged 
Good luck! I'll be following along.

Brun Ugle
Diglot
Norway
brunugle.wordpress.c
Joined 6401 days ago

1292 posts - 1766 votes 
Speaks: English*, NorwegianC1
Studies: Japanese, Esperanto, Spanish, Finnish

Message 3 of 5
03 January 2013 at 6:12pm | IP Logged 
You aren't the only one who wants to learn ALL the languages. I think you'll find that that is a common problem here -- how to pick only a few out of thousands. I'm planning to stick to one per language family (except for Norwegian/English, but I had to learn both of those), but even so, I will never be able to learn so many.

g-bod
Diglot
United KingdomRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5763 days ago

1485 posts - 2002 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese
Studies: French, German

Message 4 of 5
04 January 2013 at 7:35pm | IP Logged 
I guess that once you realise that conquering a language as awesome as Japanese is actually possible, you start feeling like you can conquer the whole world!

Is going to language school in Japan part of a course you are doing at present, or is it something you have arranged yourself?

Do you have a link for NHK Easy News? I used to follow Yahoo Kids News and have never really found anything to replace it with once it was discontinued.

dampingwire
Bilingual Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4446 days ago

1185 posts - 1513 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian*, French
Studies: Japanese

Message 5 of 5
14 January 2013 at 1:57pm | IP Logged 
g-bod wrote:

Do you have a link for NHK Easy News? I used to follow Yahoo Kids News and have never
really found anything to replace it with once it was discontinued.

I'm sure this is around else where but: http://www3.nhk.or.jp/news/easy/

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version