Diglot
United KingdomRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4433 days ago

1049 posts - 2152 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Russian, Serbian, Hungarian

Message 1 of 14
03 January 2013 at 10:17am | IP Logged 
I'm a lowland Scot and pronounce "worm" as if there is a short vowel between the last two letters. Something
like wu-rum.

Is there a technical name for the habit of inserting imaginary vowels between pairs of consonants? The Irish
do something similar with "film" - it comes out as fil-um.
1 person has voted this message useful

Ogrim
Heptaglot
France
Joined 4450 days ago

991 posts - 1896 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, English, Spanish, French, Romansh, German, Italian
Studies: Russian, Catalan, Latin, Greek, Romanian

Message 2 of 14
03 January 2013 at 10:35am | IP Logged 
I think the technical name you are looking for is epenthesis, which means the addition of one or more sounds to a word. More specifically, when a vowel is added it is also called anaptyxis or svarabhakti.

2 persons have voted this message useful

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4518 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 3 of 14
03 January 2013 at 10:59am | IP Logged 
Yeah. The latter is what Dutch people term it. In Dutch, it's a common phenomenon
actually, and is especially dependent on how the letters r and l are pronounced. In
Dutch, I believe the standard is that you can either add or leave the vowel as it is
(the exceptions are between r/l and s/t afterwards, those never get an extra syllable).
I personally add the extra syllable (it's how I pronounce my own name, even, which
leads to a lot of confusion for people, since apart from my family my friends pronounce
the "r" in my name in an almost English way).

For example, in Dutch I would say "Melluk" as opposed to "melk", "fillum" as opposed to
"film", "parruk" as opposed to "park". The reason is that before these letters I trill
the r, and the only way to comfortably pronounce the r before a consonant is to add a
little schwa sound to ease pronunciation. It works equally well if you trill the r a la
Spanish; my mother uses that pronunciation for example.

In fact, a week or so ago I called up a friend and said "Hoi, met Jorn" rendering my
name as I usually do and she thought she was talking to a stranger ("I don't know any
Joran..."). It took a while to explain to her that this is actually how I always
pronounce my name; in introductions by other people, the version without the schwa is
used. But because my family uses it with the extra vowel, I respond much better to
"Jorrun" than I do to "Jorn". It leads to a lot of questions how my name is actually
spelled because of my pronunciation.

Edited by tarvos on 03 January 2013 at 11:00am

Марк
Russian Federation
Joined 4867 days ago

2096 posts - 2972 votes 
Speaks: Russian*

Message 4 of 14
03 January 2013 at 12:24pm | IP Logged 
tarvos wrote:

The reason is that before these letters I trill
the r, and the only way to comfortably pronounce the r before a consonant is to add a
little schwa sound to ease pronunciation. It works equally well if you trill the r a la
Spanish; my mother uses that pronunciation for example.

Why? It is probably true for Dutch but in other languages such combinations are
pronounced. In Russian we pronounce государств and доказательств without adding any
vowels. Йорн will be pronounced as one syllable. But we usually insert vowels when r, l
are after a consonant at the end of a word: метр, литр, Карл, тигр.

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4518 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 5 of 14
03 January 2013 at 12:55pm | IP Logged 
I know. But in Dutch that is how you do it. It is easier to pronouce it with the schwa.
And the schwa-insertion is never counted officially as an extra syllable in Dutch either
- it just gives off the appearance of there being an actual extra syllable. My name is
still one syllable in Dutch (a good thing too, or else it wouldn't be my name).

Edited by tarvos on 03 January 2013 at 12:59pm

stelingo
Hexaglot
United Kingdom
Joined 5643 days ago

722 posts - 1076 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Portuguese, French, German, Italian
Studies: Russian, Czech, Polish, Greek, Mandarin

Message 6 of 14
03 January 2013 at 2:07pm | IP Logged 
With respect Tarvos, that is how you do it, but do all Dutch people add the extra letter? If so, why is there confusion over your name, such as in the example you gave when on the phone?    

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4518 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 

Message 7 of 14
03 January 2013 at 2:39pm | IP Logged 
It's completely accepted by the linguistic authorities in the country. Whether you do
it or not is dependent on the dialect and how the r is pronounced in the region you
live in. In the western part of the country, the r is often not trilled and even
dropped at the ends of syllables, or as in Leiden, pronounced as in English (bekakt).
My friends do not use this dialect because where I live, close to the Hague and
Rotterdam, the tendency is to not use that r at all. Keep in mind, in the Netherlands
these types vary by region a lot more. Dutch is more homogeneous than it was 50 or 100
years ago, and it's very standardised in writing, but in practice, pronunciation varies
a LOT.

My parents are from completely different areas of the country and I was raised with the
pronunciation where you trill the r (my mother does the alveolar version, I used a
uvular trill because until recently I could not pronounce the alveolar version). All
these different pronunciations are accepted as standard.

(Dutch can use up to 5 different sounds for r depending on who the speaker is).

Edited by tarvos on 03 January 2013 at 2:47pm

Марк
Russian Federation
Joined 4867 days ago

2096 posts - 2972 votes 
Speaks: Russian*

Message 8 of 14
03 January 2013 at 4:19pm | IP Logged 
tarvos wrote:
(my mother does the alveolar version, I used a
uvular trill because until recently I could not pronounce the alveolar version).

I wonder how the alveolar trill survives, is such a spread sound and hasn't become an
uvular trill everywhere.

This discussion contains 14 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version