Triglot
United States
Joined 4574 days ago

581 posts - 977 votes 
Speaks: English*, Hawaiian, Tagalog
Studies: Spanish

Message 1 of 2
03 January 2013 at 11:13pm | IP Logged 
Perhaps I am searching incorrectly and not finding the relevant thread, but has anybody actually used a big chunk of one of the DLI Spanish Basic courses to learn Spanish? I suspect that they have not been used very often, since the FSI Spanish courses are so popular.

What was your experience with the course? What were your results?

What about experience with similar courses for other languages?

A quick read of introductions and glances at the table of contents seems to reveal that...

The earlier, "Captain Blanco," Spanish Basic course only claims to cover material up to FSI level 2 in speaking reading and writing. It seems to be the same generation as the FSI Basic Spanish course with similar assumptions about language learning. This course is built around dialogs, reading passages, and drills. There are comprehension exercises, however.

The later, "Doctor Buendia," Modular Basic Spanish course takes learners to an FSI 3 in reading, writing and speaking. It incorporates the famous FSI programmatic Spanish phonology lessons. This course is designed around modules which could be changed or replaced without having to change the rest of the course. It does not have large dialogs to memorize, but does have some drills. It has many comprehension sections.

Both of these courses appear to emphasize comprehension more than the FSI Basic course does. In both cases, we do not have the actual lessons that were delivered by teachers in the classroom, but we do have the materials that students used to prepare for and review lessons. I suppose that is what the FSI materials are also.

It looks to me as if there are extensive materials there for Spanish learning.

steve

edited to fix punctuation..

Edited by sfuqua on 03 January 2013 at 11:15pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Random review
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 5592 days ago

781 posts - 1310 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Portuguese, Mandarin, Yiddish, German

Message 2 of 2
04 January 2013 at 1:20am | IP Logged 
I have used the modular course as a supplement and it is wonderful for that purpose. I
suspect it would be excellent as your main course, but you'd need access to a Spanish-speaking
tutor to make it work, because the grammar drills do not come with answers (if you already know
some Spanish you can easily see what the answers should be, I did so; but there again
you're talking about using it as a supplement- to drill grammar you already know). The
dialogue interrogations have answers in the audio. There are also a few typos. The
dialogues have translations and can be used like Assimil dialogues e.g. shadowing,
back-and-forth translation etc, etc.
I think AndyE put sentences from the dialogues into Anki, hopefully he can explain
exactly what he did.

All in all this was one of my favourites (top 5 or 6). If the grammar drills were
recorded with answers (like the FSI course) it'd probably be in my top 3 ahead of the
(excellent) FSI course.

Edited by Random review on 04 January 2013 at 1:22am

1 person has voted this message useful

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version