Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Arabic (Written), Croatian, German, French

Message 1 of 5
04 January 2013 at 3:29am | IP Logged 
Greetings and salutations!

Glad to be on Team Nebun for the TAC 2013, which requires both a Slavic
and Romance.

Here's my 2013, at leat in theory:
(If you come across this Ellasevia, yes, I did use flags like you have in the past.
It's a great idea.)

This year I will be focusing on French and German. I will be keeping up with my
Croatian, which is very minimal right now, as part of the team requirements for the
team. I also want to re-up my Arabic. If I have the time, I plan on spending it on
Brazilian Portuguese and Turkish, obvious complements to my Spanish and Arabic. I've
been tempted to do Italian as well. Goal numero uno - keep wanderlust to a minimum and
use it advantageously to flip between TLs.

Primary Languages:

French: I just did lesson 60 in El Francés sin esfuerzo which I started back in
September. For me French was never on my radar b/c I was never that much of a
francophile, nor a big fan of all the nasals. But, after some maturing, I've realized
how very important it is to have knowledge of French. I want to get my Arabic up to
snuff, and after a botched trip to Morocco this year, I've realized the cultural
connections French has to the region, which has turned me on to French even more.    
This is my first time doing Assimil and I'm happy but it's weird. I feel like I have a
very advanced 'feeling' of the language, but the lack of structured grammar makes me
feel very inadequate when it comes to producing my own French by my own. Also, for
future language learning, I have the entire Assimil catalouge!...

German: Ah, German...
After making lots of German-speaking friends this year, and reading an ancient
phrasebook that was in my mother's bathroom whilst on the throne, and not to mention
the importance of German companies in my part of the USA, along with my impending
graduation, it just seems right to take up German now. I plan on doing the Assimil
German with Ease as a base.

Secondary Languages:
Croatian: I took a
trip to Istria and as expected fell head-over-heels with the place. The language is
very interesting giving the geography of the country. I don't want to get into the
BCMS debate, but I like the fact that it's a language that can be used in multiple
countries. I like Croatia and like the language/dialect the best so I'll focus on
learning 'Croatian'. It's not so useful in the traditional sense, so it will be
secondary to German I'm afraid. Nevertheless, I want to improve my speaking ability
greatly.

Arabic:
My Arabic is not dead per se, but it's not healthy. I plan on doing some serious Al-
Kitaab review.

Portuguese: Having such a
high level of Spanish and making Latin America one of my areas of specialty it just
makes sense to get dirty with Portuguese. Not much to say here, except I want to be C2
by the next Olympics, which is totally doable. Going to be learning thru Spanish.

Turkish: I have a mild
obsession with Turkey. It's European, it's Islamic, it's not... Its language is
totally different than what people expect. It's another good language for my
education/career aspirations, but I don't know how much I can give to it. It might be
a later in the year endeavor.

And so it begins! Right now I'm really focused on French. My goal is to stay focused
on one language, while studying a secondary one but with less intensity and goals, and
I'll let myself wander with a third lover for a small amount of time to keep things
spiced up.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Gallo1801
Diglot
Spain
Joined 4691 days ago

164 posts - 248 votes 

Message 2 of 5
18 February 2013 at 6:43am | IP Logged 
I DREAMED IN CROATIAN!!!

2 persons have voted this message useful

DaraghM
Diglot
Ireland
Joined 5940 days ago

1947 posts - 2923 votes 
Studies: French, Russian, Hungarian

Message 3 of 5
18 February 2013 at 12:32pm | IP Logged 
Gallo1801 wrote:
I DREAMED IN CROATIAN!!!

Congratulations. Is your study still progressing as planned ? Are there any changes to your routine since your first post ? Really glad to see you're still taking part.
1 person has voted this message useful

Gallo1801
Diglot
Spain
Joined 4691 days ago

164 posts - 248 votes 

Message 4 of 5
23 May 2013 at 8:55pm | IP Logged 
I have a language job! Well, at least for the summer at least. I will be an RA at the Spanish Academemy at Green
Mountain College for the Middlebury-Monterey Language Academy! Super pumped that I am going to get paid to
go to Middlebury. Hopefully they'll give me a discount in the future for the LS for another language.

Because I have to get to Vermont, I plan on spending about a week couchsurfing in Montreal beforehand. Trying
to really hit the French hard until then with Assimil, FSI, and some readers. I've never been to a francophone area
so this is exciting.

Croatian is still there but in the background. My goal is to get my French good enough I can use Assimil Le
Croate. TY Croatian is ok, but they really aren't transparent with grammar, so I plan on adding FSI Serbo-
Croatian as a supplement. Focus is French though.

I'll be in Spanish mode for five weeks, so I plan on doing Catalan sin esfuerzo while Im in Vermont as it makes
sense. Also will be consuming a lot of Castillian books that I've hoarded and not had the chance to read.

Ben, J'espere que ma equipe du TAC 2013 ca va bien en cette periode !

Gallo1801
Diglot
Spain
Joined 4691 days ago

164 posts - 248 votes 

Message 5 of 5
26 May 2013 at 7:07am | IP Logged 
J'ai finalement trouvé le site du canal de France 24. Pourquoi n'ai-je pas connu à ce
sujet?! Alors, au moins maintenant je peux régarder les nouvelles en français
gratuitement. En plus, je comprends plus que j'ai pensé de j'aurais comprendré.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version