pluteopleno.com/wprs
Joined 4679 days ago

134 posts - 235 votes 
Speaks: English*, Latin
Studies: Spanish, Ancient Greek, Persian

Message 9 of 10
09 January 2013 at 7:59pm | IP Logged 
Γρηγόρη� wrote:
I teach Latin at the University level, and I would highly recommend Lingua Latina, as
mentioned above. There
are some supplementary books that accompany the book that will help you in the absence of a teacher. I am
familiar with many text books and none is so well designed and thorough as Lingua Latina.

And if the original poster had been interested in a full on course, this would be the only one I'd bother with. It's so
much better than anything else available.
1 person has voted this message useful

dmaddock1
United States
Joined 5242 days ago

174 posts - 426 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Italian, Esperanto, Latin, Ancient Greek

Message 10 of 10
18 January 2013 at 3:12pm | IP Logged 
I recently took a trip to Italy (Florence and Rome) with one semester of Latin under my belt and was able to get the gist of many inscriptions I happened upon. (I did it online with Signum University, in which we used the 1st half of the Wheelock book.) My personal experience was that abbreviations, ancient methods of dating, terse syntax, etc. made this a harder task than I expected it to be.

I own all the books mentioned above and for the casually curious I'd agree with both sipes23 and renaissancemedi. A general non-fiction book aimed at a popular audience (like Erlich) for common phrases and general knowledge and Teach Yourself Beginner's Latin for very basic grammar.
1 person has voted this message useful

This discussion contains 10 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version