United Kingdom
Joined 4122 days ago

40 posts - 43 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: Polish

Message 1 of 11
07 January 2013 at 1:42pm | IP Logged 
Czesc!

Nazywa sie Samantha McGoff i jestem angielsku. Jestem osiemnaście roku. Jama jeden pies, zadzwonił Yasmin. Jak sie masz?

Dowidzenia

Samantha
1 person has voted this message useful

sammymcgoff
Groupie
United Kingdom
Joined 4122 days ago

40 posts - 43 votes
Studies: Polish

Message 2 of 11
07 January 2013 at 7:18pm | IP Logged 
Corrections would be appreciated

Chung
Diglot
Joined 6915 days ago

4228 posts - 8259 votes 
20 sounds
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Polish, Slovak, Uzbek, Turkish, Korean, Finnish

Message 3 of 11
08 January 2013 at 2:49am | IP Logged 
sammymcgoff wrote:
Cześć!

Nazywam się Samantha McGoff i jestem Angielką. Mam osiemnaście lat. Ja mam jednego psa, nazywa się Yasmin. Jak się masz?

Dowidzenia

Samantha

1) Nazywam się ~ "My name is" Nazywa się ~ "His/her/its name is" (the closer but less idiomatic translations are "I name myself", "He/she/it names him/her/itself")

2) Angielka "Englishwoman, female English person" (furthermore it must be in instrumental case in this sentence hence Angielką)

3) The Polish expression for indicating age is understood as "to have x years". Therefore use Mam "I have" instead of Jestem "I am".

4) When your noun is quantified by a "teen" (e.g. 18) or numeral greater than "4" (except numerals 20 and higher that end in "-2", "-3" or "-4" e.g. 22, 102), that noun must be in genitive plural. In this instance, rok "year" has an irregular genitive plural of lat. (Trivia that may make sense when you're more advanced: this word is taken from the word for "summer", lato)

5) Your having one dog means that "one dog" is thought of as a direct object and requires what is called "accusative" case. In Polish, the ending for this case for one masculine life form is -a for that noun, and -ego for the relevant descriptor (in this instance, jeden is treated as an adjective/descriptor)

6) See 1) for using Nazywa się.... An idiomatic translation for "to be called..." is to use the appropriate form of Nazywać się. Zadzwonić means "to call" in the sense of doing so by telephone. Zadzwonił is a past tense form translatable as "he called" or "he telephoned".

7) Do widzenia is considered correct (and is how I learned it from my teacher) but Dowidzenia appears frequently enough among natives such that some of them aren't sure which form is correct (i.e. "by the book").

As a general rule, don't forget to include diacritical marks. It's common when making Facebook posts or sending text messages and emails to omit these markings (especially when you already know where they are used) but since you're learning, get into the habit of using them. It'll help you retain vocabulary and match what you'll see in your books and dictionaries.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Spolszczyc
Canada
Joined 4023 days ago

8 posts - 9 votes
Studies: Turkish, Polish, Serbo-Croatian

Message 4 of 11
25 March 2013 at 12:32am | IP Logged 
Chung, muszę powiedzieć, że wydaje mi się, że masz znakomitej znajomości i wspaniałych zdolności języka
polskiego. ;) Widziałem już wiele panoje postow w polskim a jeszcze bardzo słyszalny jest pisasz bardzo
dobrże. ;)

lazy_bg
Tetraglot
Bulgaria
lazy-bg.blogspot.com
Joined 4113 days ago

3 posts - 3 votes
Speaks: Bulgarian*, English, Russian, Polish
Studies: German, Spanish, French

Message 5 of 11
25 March 2013 at 10:18am | IP Logged 
Dzień dobry!
Nazywam się Wasył i jestem Bułgarem. Mam 40 lat, i mam jednego kota, nazywa się Ginger
(po polsku - Rudy :)) Jak się Państwo mają?
Ja też chcę pisać po polsku tutaj, i mam nadzieję, że Państwo będą powiedzeć mnie, kiedy
robię błądy.
Pozdrawiam! :)

Zireael
Triglot
Poland
Joined 4410 days ago

518 posts - 636 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, EnglishB2, Spanish
Studies: German, Sign Language, Tok Pisin, Arabic (Yemeni), Old English

Message 6 of 11
25 March 2013 at 10:53am | IP Logged 
Wasył - bardziej naturalnie byłoby napisać "jak się macie?" oraz "mam nadzieję, że powiecie mi, kiedy robię błędy".
Forma "Państwo" jest używana tylko w bardzo formalnym kontekście, np. na wykładzie na uczelni.
3 persons have voted this message useful

lazy_bg
Tetraglot
Bulgaria
lazy-bg.blogspot.com
Joined 4113 days ago

3 posts - 3 votes
Speaks: Bulgarian*, English, Russian, Polish
Studies: German, Spanish, French

Message 7 of 11
26 March 2013 at 7:04pm | IP Logged 
Dziękuję bardzo, Zireael! Postaram się nie być za formalny :)

umiak
Groupie
Poland
Joined 4271 days ago

51 posts - 77 votes 
Speaks: Polish*

Message 8 of 11
25 November 2013 at 3:10am | IP Logged 
Chung wrote:
sammymcgoff wrote:
Cześć!

Nazywam się Samantha McGoff i jestem Angielką. Mam osiemnaście lat. Ja mam jednego psa, nazywa się Yasmin. Jak się masz?

Dowidzenia

Samantha

[...]
5) Your having one dog means that "one dog" is thought of as a direct object and requires what is called "accusative" case. In Polish, the ending for this case for one masculine life form is -a for that noun, and -ego for the relevant descriptor (in this instance, jeden is treated as an adjective/descriptor)

6) See 1) for using Nazywa się.... An idiomatic translation for "to be called..." is to use the appropriate form of Nazywać się. Zadzwonić means "to call" in the sense of doing so by telephone. Zadzwonił is a past tense form translatable as "he called" or "he telephoned".

7) Do widzenia is considered correct (and is how I learned it from my teacher) but Dowidzenia appears frequently enough among natives such that some of them aren't sure which form is correct (i.e. "by the book").
[...]
I'm a bit late to the party, but in case you're interested, or someone else is:

5) A Polish native speaker would almost always skip 'ja' and 'jednego'. It's not a mistake to use them, but they make the sentence stylistically marked, which means that you need an appropriate context to make the whole sound natural. For instance, there are some people who are talking about their pets (and comparing what (and how many) each of them has).

6) The English verb 'call' is more general than the Polish '(za)dzwonić'. I think that a safer Polish equivalent might be '(za)wołać'. It won't fit the bill in many cases, but the core meaning is the same as well as the syntax:
He called his brother in. -- Zawołał brata (do środka).
'wołać' can sometimes be used to express what someone's name is:
Wołają na niego "Jaś". -- They call him 'Johnny'.
Note, though, that this is infrequent.
I'm unaware of an English verb meaning '(za)dzwonić do' which would semantically and syntactically correspond to the Polish one. This is the reason why we 'persevere' in making the same mistake of adding 'to' while using English 'call', 'phone', etc.

7) The correct form is 'Do widzenia'.

This discussion contains 11 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version