TAC 2010 Winner
France
adrean83.wordpress.c
Joined 5957 days ago

348 posts - 411 votes 
Speaks: FrenchC1

Message 9 of 12
04 March 2013 at 9:51pm | IP Logged 
Had much practice over the last couple of days. An exchange today, another at the
weekend and dinner with a colleague. At least 5 hours speaking practice right there, if
only it was like this all the time.

I mentioned in the last post that I visited a museum here in Bordeaux over the weekend.
I found it strange that a bottle of wine was featured in the museum from the
Chateau/vineyard just across the road from where I live. I asked a colleague why and
they explained that it is one of the most expensive wines in the world. I did a little
research on wikipedia and discovered that Château Haut-Brion has quite an interesting
history. It was the first wine imported to the United States on account of Thomas
Jefferson buying several cases in 1787. He like me noticed the gravelly surface at
the vineyard. I now look a little more wistfully at the vineyard across the road.
Wiki article

Edited by Adrean on 04 March 2013 at 9:53pm

1 person has voted this message useful

songlines
Pro Member
Canada
flickr.com/photos/cp
Joined 4998 days ago

729 posts - 1056 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: French
Personal Language Map

Message 10 of 12
04 March 2013 at 10:42pm | IP Logged 
Adrean wrote:
Had much practice over the last couple of days. An exchange today, another at the
weekend and dinner with a colleague. At least 5 hours speaking practice right there...

C'est super!

Adrean wrote:
I now look a little more wistfully at the vineyard across the road.

So: I'm guessing - no free samples of that particular vintage during vineyard tours...?

One of the many things I love about Europe is the touch of history almost everywhere you go.   - It's not just the
"big-name" sites which have historical resonance; you could be just idly walking, and find buildings with
18th century dates inscribed on the lintels.

Edited by songlines on 04 March 2013 at 10:43pm

Adrean
TAC 2010 Winner
France
adrean83.wordpress.c
Joined 5957 days ago

348 posts - 411 votes 
Speaks: FrenchC1

Message 11 of 12
17 March 2013 at 9:45am | IP Logged 
I've just returned from 9 days in Italy. Linguistically speaking I achieved next to
naught because I frankly didn't study the language beyond a few hours. It seemed to me
at least through the more tourist areas I passed through that people could generally
speak English. I began in Venice, followed by Florence, Cinque Terre and finally Rome.
I fell in love with the country and look forward to returning, fingers crossed, with a
little more depth.

Post holiday I'm feeling a little lethargic, I took advantage of this by watching two
films and half a season of South Park.

Yesterday was an important day for Bordeaux with the inauguration of the bridge Pont
Jacques-Chaban-Delmas. This bridge creates a link between the right side of the river
and the left which was missing in the northern area of Bordeaux. It is the highest
raising bridge in Europe and is something to behold. I passed by chance yesterday and
saw the bridge at it's raised point. Crowds filled either side of the river and Le
President de la Republique, Francois Hollande was there to open the bridge officially.
Today there will be an amateur running event over the bridge. If you'd like to see an
image i'll link this http://www.lexpress.fr/actualite/politique/a-bordeaux-hollan de-
inaugure-le-plus-grand-pont-levant-d-europe_1232264.html .

Sorry I couldn't hyperlink the above link

Edited by Adrean on 17 March 2013 at 9:48am

songlines
Pro Member
Canada
flickr.com/photos/cp
Joined 4998 days ago

729 posts - 1056 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: French
Personal Language Map

Message 12 of 12
17 March 2013 at 3:48pm | IP Logged 
Adrean wrote:

Yesterday was an important day for Bordeaux with the inauguration of the bridge Pont
Jacques-Chaban-Delmas. This bridge creates a link between the right side of the river
and the left which was missing in the northern area of Bordeaux. It is the highest
raising bridge in Europe and is something to behold. I passed by chance yesterday and
saw the bridge at it's raised point. Crowds filled either side of the river and Le
President de la Republique, Francois Hollande was there to open the bridge officially.
Today there will be an amateur running event over the bridge. If you'd like to see an
image i'll link this http://www.lexpress.fr/actualite/politique/a-bordeaux-hollan de-
inaugure-le-plus-grand-pont-levant-d-europe_1232264.html .

Sorry I couldn't hyperlink the above link

Here you go, Adrean. I used Tinyurl.com to shorten the link:

Le Pont Jacques Chaban-Delmas. An impressive bridge
indeed.

And good hearing about your travels. - Yes, the prospect /anticipation of a holiday in the target language
country is always tremendously motivating. Next time...!

Edited by songlines on 17 March 2013 at 3:49pm

This discussion contains 12 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version