14 messages over 2 pages: 1
tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4518 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 9 of 14
09 January 2013 at 6:38pm | IP Logged 
I am learning Breton and the Assimil specifically states to not be bothered about people
who complain it's "not the same Breton". And I won't.
2 persons have voted this message useful

akkadboy
Triglot
France
Joined 5219 days ago

264 posts - 497 votes 
Speaks: French*, English, Yiddish
Studies: Latin, Ancient Egyptian, Welsh

Message 10 of 14
10 January 2013 at 9:49am | IP Logged 
tarvos wrote:
I am learning Breton and the Assimil specifically states to not be bothered about people

I may be wrong but this "dont-bother-about-those-who-say-it-s-not-the-same-Breton" is usually quoted to emphasize that the dialects are mutually intelligible, contrary to what (French) opposants of Breton used to say when they wanted to undermine the importance of Breton.

The relationship (and intelligibility) between (new-)Breton and the dialects is a totally different thing.

Again to be perfectly clear, I'm not taking parts here and saying that there's only two camps : the good guys who speak pure dialectal Breton on one side and the evil nationalists who despise dialects and created a completely different language.
Between these two positions exist a whole lot of different attitudes towards Breton.

I thought it would be useful to mention it to learners of Breton.

As a side note, I don't know which Assimil Breton you're using but the old Morvannou Assimil is available everywhere on the internet. It is one of the few books that everyone agrees is both respectful of the dialects and still manages to present a standard Breton.

1 person has voted this message useful

beano
Diglot
United KingdomRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4433 days ago

1049 posts - 2152 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Russian, Serbian, Hungarian

Message 11 of 14
10 January 2013 at 11:24am | IP Logged 
It seems as if Breton and Basque have been badly treated by the French auhorities over the years.
2 persons have voted this message useful

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4518 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 12 of 14
10 January 2013 at 11:56am | IP Logged 
akkadboy wrote:
tarvos wrote:
I am learning Breton and the Assimil specifically
states to not be bothered about people

I may be wrong but this "dont-bother-about-those-who-say-it-s-not-the-same-Breton" is
usually quoted to emphasize that the dialects are mutually intelligible,
contrary to what (French) opposants of Breton used to say when they wanted to undermine
the importance of Breton.

The relationship (and intelligibility) between (new-)Breton and the dialects is a
totally different thing.

Again to be perfectly clear, I'm not taking parts here and saying that there's only two
camps : the good guys who speak pure dialectal Breton on one side and the evil
nationalists who despise dialects and created a completely different language.
Between these two positions exist a whole lot of different attitudes towards Breton.

I thought it would be useful to mention it to learners of Breton.

As a side note, I don't know which Assimil Breton you're using but the old Morvannou
Assimil is available everywhere on the internet. It is one of the few books that
everyone agrees is both respectful of the dialects and still manages to present a
standard Breton.

I am using the 2005 version by Divi Kervella and it mentions that second divide. It has
nothing to do with the French authorities.

akkadboy
Triglot
France
Joined 5219 days ago

264 posts - 497 votes 
Speaks: French*, English, Yiddish
Studies: Latin, Ancient Egyptian, Welsh

Message 13 of 14
10 January 2013 at 3:52pm | IP Logged 
tarvos wrote:

I am using the 2005 version by Divi Kervella and it mentions that second divide. It has
nothing to do with the French authorities.

I'd like to be as optimistic as he seems to be about the mutual intelligibility of new-Breton and the dialects :-)

I read bits of your log, all the best for your studies !

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4518 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 

Message 14 of 14
10 January 2013 at 6:25pm | IP Logged 
He needs to be; he wants people to learn Breton!

This discussion contains 14 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version