Thailand
Joined 4695 days ago

70 posts - 172 votes 
Speaks: English*, Thai
Studies: Russian

Message 17 of 19
12 January 2013 at 10:03am | IP Logged 
juman wrote:
I'm looking for material written by a french author to dig in to. So what I would prefer
is if it was books in a series, several books from one author (if I like the first one I
have more to look forward to).

I thought the same as you regarding reading a series (I read the first 10 Lemony Snickett books in Thai) but I feel like it was a bit of a waste of time. After reading a couple books I was familiar with the writer's style and after that the returns diminished greatly. I think I would have been far better off reading books from 10 different authors.
3 persons have voted this message useful

Jeffers
United Kingdom
Joined 4697 days ago

2151 posts - 3960 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Hindi, Ancient Greek, French, Sanskrit, German

Message 18 of 19
13 January 2013 at 12:06am | IP Logged 
nakrian keegiat wrote:
juman wrote:
I'm looking for material written by a french author to dig in to. So what I would prefer
is if it was books in a series, several books from one author (if I like the first one I
have more to look forward to).

I thought the same as you regarding reading a series (I read the first 10 Lemony Snickett books in Thai) but I feel like it was a bit of a waste of time. After reading a couple books I was familiar with the writer's style and after that the returns diminished greatly. I think I would have been far better off reading books from 10 different authors.

That makes sense from a "quantity of language learned per book" point of view. On the other hand, as you work through the series and become familiar with the author's style, the ability simply to be reading for enjoyment would increase wouldn't it?

I read the first few Lemony Snickett books in English, and I have to say I felt a sense of diminishing returns even in my native language. So perhaps another problem is with your choice of series? To be fair, any children's book series would get repetitive by the 10th book.
1 person has voted this message useful

nakrian keegiat
Diglot
Groupie
Thailand
Joined 4695 days ago

70 posts - 172 votes 
Speaks: English*, Thai
Studies: Russian

Message 19 of 19
13 January 2013 at 6:49am | IP Logged 
I chose the L.S. books because I had read on a Thai forum that they were very well translated which isn't always the case with Thai books.

I see reading books like these as a necessary stepping stone to being able to read the books I want to read, so the quantity of language learned per book should have been more of a focus for me. I got a lot out of the first two or three books and think it was a good idea to read one or two more as a way to reinforce what I learned since they were now "easy reads", but I should have stopped at that point. The books get progressively longer and I probably spent about 20-25 hours reading the final 5 books which is far too much time for the very small improvement that it made.

1 person has voted this message useful

This discussion contains 19 messages over 3 pages: << Prev 1 2

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version