Bilingual Heptaglot
China
Joined 4730 days ago

869 posts - 1364 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, English*, German, Italian, French, Portuguese, Mandarin
Studies: Korean

Message 17 of 18
27 July 2013 at 7:47pm | IP Logged 
"Etwas eingestehen" seems very untranslatable into English. German speakers I have
spoken to tell me it's not like "zugeben" (to admit, general stuff one was in denial
about or just hiding from others), or "gestehen" (to confess, more literal as in
"confess to a crime").

Eingestehen is, as they describe it and how I come to think of it now "an internal
struggle to admit something, but not quite confess it". It's like your conscience
recognizes something must be admitted, but the mind fights to admit it. It's also been
described to be as an "airy, gossamer" feeling of confessing to something. Using the
other two verbs would be too literal or overt.

In other words, I can't translate it.

In French, "assurer" used colloquially is rather untranslatable into English. It sort
of means "to hold up/hold your own" in something, but in English that tends to imply
there is some effort in keeping such a position or status. In French, it has a more
positive and stable connotation, while still imparting sometimes an element of surprise
(i.e, the speaker wasn't expecting someone to be at math, but he is, and he didn't seem
too wobbly at it, so "Ce mec assure en Maths").

In this case as well there is a difficulty in pointing down all the nuances in one word
that in English just are not possible to render without clumsy translations.

In Spanish "tergiversar" cannot be well translated into English. It means something
like "to take something someone says, purposefully misinterpret it, and reply with a
comment that is based on such a misinterpretation but that many times still holds some
truth to it". It is a popular word in discussion forums.

I have never been able to use less than entire sentences to describe in English what
that one word does in Spanish. And don't bother with the false friend "to tergiversate"
in English, or "tergiverser" in French! Not the same at all.

1 person has voted this message useful

Zoulch
Diglot
France
Joined 3887 days ago

3 posts - 6 votes
Speaks: French*, English
Studies: German

Message 18 of 18
04 September 2013 at 10:46am | IP Logged 
There's a site dedicated to those untranslatable words and expressions :

www.betterthanenglish.com

Edited by Zoulch on 04 September 2013 at 10:47am

1 person has voted this message useful

This discussion contains 18 messages over 3 pages: << Prev 1 2

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version