Poland
Joined 4919 days ago

241 posts - 361 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, English, German
Studies: Norwegian, Welsh

Message 1 of 16
10 January 2013 at 10:08am | IP Logged 
Bore da!

This is my first log on this forum which is also my first ever log/blog, journaly type of thing.

This year (and many years thet are yet to come I hope) I'll be trying to give my studies a regular structure. My focus languages are Norwegian and Welsh My meddling language turned to be Spanish because I watched an excessive amount of telenovelas in my teens and those are not dubbed in Poland, we have a voice over narration. So I had dozens of hours of Spanish input.

I consider myself a false begginer in both my main languages but I've already started to change that by revising what I've managed to complete sofar.

Norwegian: I'm using a Polish book "Vil du lære norsk" by Stanisław Łęcki; It's packed with vocabulary so I have to split the lessons in two or in three, it also contains IPA transcription for the new words and audio that is very helpful.

Welsh: For now I try to focus on revising saysomethinginwelsh's free course using their approach (just listening and repeating, no notes, no reading) and I listen to Radio Ceredigion (they talk in Welsh every now and then). Later on I'll use Colloquial Welsh and BBC's Catchphrase course.

I'm glad to be a part of two wonderful teams: Lugus Clan and The Vikings. This year will be fun.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5127 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 2 of 16
10 January 2013 at 11:08am | IP Logged 
Good luck, and let me know if you want any corrections once you start writing in Norwegian. I should probably learn Polish again too: at my local super market I hear as much Polish as Norwegian.

I do not know what you study or what your plans for the future are, but learning Norwegian is probably the smartest thing you can do if you are thinking of going abraod at any time. Poles are very well considered here, and many have brought over their families after having worked here for a while.
1 person has voted this message useful

Julie
Heptaglot
PolandRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6696 days ago

1251 posts - 1733 votes 
5 sounds
Speaks: Polish*, EnglishB2, GermanC2, SpanishB2, Dutch, Swedish, French

Message 3 of 16
10 January 2013 at 1:13pm | IP Logged 
@Gosiak, good luck with your languages! Looking forward to reading your blog!

@Cristina: why not to learn Polish, go for it! Your Russian will help you for sure, if you only manage to stay away from confusions/interferences. And it seems like you could get a lot of speaking practice.

And just wondering... (Gosiak, sorry if I'm in the process of hijacking your log) - what are the common professions of Poles in Norway (especially of those with a university degree)?

Gosiak
Triglot
Poland
Joined 4919 days ago

241 posts - 361 votes 

Message 4 of 16
10 January 2013 at 6:57pm | IP Logged 
Cristina, thank you for your willingness to help, I always appreciate corrections (what's the point of making the same errors again and again). I second Julie, why postpone learning Polish and keep having this feeling that one should do something with this language. If you had any problems you could always ask me or Julie (or any Pole that you happen to pass by on the street, kiddin';)).

Julie, thanks, I'll try to make my log interesting (I need to keep that in mind). Feel free to hijack my log but remember to give it back after a while.:)

My short introduction:
(Soooo...)
My name is Gosia and I try to finish my postgraduate studies in English Philology and graduate studies in Economics in the city of Wrocław. It took me a while to pick a third language to learn, I grew up studying German and English and I do not remember exactly when I started learning those languages, probably when I was in the kindergarten. During my first year of studies I decided to learn Spanish and entolled for a course organized by my university, sadly, it did not work out for me because it was a late evening class and I was too tired after spending whole day at the uni and the grammar started to interfere with my beginners Latin. Then my language preferences changed, due to my renewed interest in mythology and penchant for metal and folk music, and I thought to myself that one day I have to start learning Norwegian. The story behind my passion for Welsh is very simple, I spent one semester studying Economics in Wales and discovered the beauty of this language, the sound of Welsh is very poetic to my ears. I also have Welsh friends who are happy to see their language revived and gaining popularity even among foreigners. I will write something more later on.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Gosiak
Triglot
Poland
Joined 4919 days ago

241 posts - 361 votes 

Message 5 of 16
12 January 2013 at 11:34am | IP Logged 
Language related discovery of this week:

I often visit so called cheap bookstores which stock is very random but some of them happen to have language materials and even novels in foreign languages, well maybe 'languages' is an overstatement, they have some books in English, maybe 8/10 books in German and one or two in French and Russian if you're lucky. This Wednesday however while visiting one of those stores I noticed that they put boxes full of books on the floor next to the overflowing shelves. It turned out that those boxes were full of novels in foreign languages that were obtained from a language bookstore that went bankrupt,I spent almost an hour searching through them. I found all works of Alexander McCall Smith in Swedish, several crime fiction novels in Spanish, one romance novel in Italian, one book in Dutch and "the Golden Compass" in Hungarian (it was the first time I've seen a novel in Hungarian in a Polish bookstore). Oh, I also found 7 or 8 novels in Japaneese (no mangas), not to mention many books in English and German. Sadly, there was nothing in Norwegian, maybe next time. All of those books were very cheap.

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6390 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 6 of 16
12 January 2013 at 1:34pm | IP Logged 
What's it with Swedish in Poland? ;) My hotel in Warsaw had some books in the recreational area, and half the books were in Swedish! I also read a bit of Italian and Portuguese :)

Gosia, did you actually buy any of the books you mentioned? :)

Good luck with your studies!!! Was a real pleasure to meet you *_*

liammcg
Ireland
Joined 4397 days ago

269 posts - 397 votes 
Speaks: English*

Message 7 of 16
12 January 2013 at 3:18pm | IP Logged 
The very best of luck for the year to come! Clan Lugus Abú!

Maïwenn
Diglot
Groupie
FranceRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4162 days ago

56 posts - 72 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: German, Mandarin, Breton

Message 8 of 16
13 January 2013 at 2:04am | IP Logged 
Good luck, Gosia! I'm excited to see how you do in Welsh (and Norwegian)!

This discussion contains 16 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version