Spain
cronopios.net/Registered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4491 days ago

183 posts - 313 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, English
Studies: French, German

Message 1 of 3
10 January 2013 at 2:12pm | IP Logged 
Annenberg/CPB has published some notable series, including French in Action, Destinos (Spanish), Fokus Deutsch (German) and Connect With English.

I found out that in the 80's they also created a series of nineteen half-hour programs on Mandarin language and Chinese culture produced by the Australian Broadcasting Corporation (ABC) in association with Griffith University and the Asian Studies Council.

Its name was Dragon's Tongue: Communicating in Chinese (ISBN 1576800911), and was accompanied by books by Jillian Geardon, Jeffrey Goonan, and Annie Fan, and audio cassettes.

It was designed to help secondary students of Chinese to understand the language in its cultural context, featuring documentary and dramatised scenes filmed in Australia and in China.

Has anyone watched it?
Any way to get it?
1 person has voted this message useful

freakyaye
Australia
Joined 4647 days ago

107 posts - 152 votes 

Message 2 of 3
10 January 2013 at 3:33pm | IP Logged 
I can help with this, I studied with it when it was on the way out.

The episodes were aired on ABC through the 90s for students in the class and they were
later given to students on DVDs for distance education. I don't know if you've been able
to see them, but they were shot in REAL Beijing not just the glitzy areas. It was basic
introduce paragraph, introduce vocabulary, introduce new paragraph with blanks.

Here you go:

http://on-mediastore.clickview.com.au/Asset/Detail/1D72DD25F C37F641A34DBFF5913A1424#

Hopefully that works OS.

alang
Diglot
Canada
Joined 7030 days ago

563 posts - 757 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish

Message 3 of 3
10 January 2013 at 5:27pm | IP Logged 

I remember emailing Annenberg about it also. The reply was, they do not have the rights for it anymore.

Here is the response the person wrote.

"I believe this is being distributed by the Australian Broadcasting Corp:
http://www.abc.net.au/"

I also contacted them about Fokus Deutsch and they no longer have the rights to that also.

Here is the response to that one.

"We no longer hold the rights to that series. You can contact the
Goethe-Institut for more information: http://www.goethe.de/enindex.htm"

This was all in 2010, how time flies.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version