jean-luc
France
Joined 4772 days ago

100 posts - 150 votes 
Speaks: French*
Studies: German

Message 9 of 18
14 January 2013 at 11:13pm | IP Logged 
The main problem is that the original and the translation can differ a lot.

However, I tried a similar stuff with Assimil, and as far as I can say it was effective. My main problem was that to make the cards. I managed to scan and OCR a part of the book, and even like that it was taking too long.

Edited by jean-luc on 14 January 2013 at 11:15pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Volte
Tetraglot
Switzerland
Joined 6251 days ago

4474 posts - 6726 votes 
Speaks: English*, Esperanto, German, Italian
Studies: French, Finnish, Mandarin, Japanese

Message 10 of 18
09 February 2013 at 12:34pm | IP Logged 
Incunabulum wrote:
Recently I used LF Aligner (http://aligner.sourceforge.net/) to extract text from two PDF
files in L1 and L2 and produced the aligned text, which I then ran through a python
script to create a parallel language book. Since the output of LF Aligner is a text file
with tab separated fields, it can also be imported into Anki. I was wondering if anyone
else had ever tried learning sentences from a parallel language book in Anki, and what
your experience was.

In order for this to work the translation has to be fairly literal, and you have to check
for sentences being in a different order in the translation. The idea would be to learn
the vocabulary through the sentences in Anki, which should then allow reading the book in
L2 with enjoyment. If audio for the book was available, you would then be able to do LR
by listening to L2 while reading L2.

Why oh why oh why? The advantage of a parallel text is that it allows you to learn the vocabulary as necessary, and pleasurably read texts in your L2 where you would otherwise miss more nuances and words (or would miss the sense entirely, if you do it as an absolute beginner in an unrelated language). With LR and a book you like, you'll spend a lot less hours overall than via anki; the same goes for just reading the parallel text.

Running the text through an SRS first is one of the few methods I've heard of that sounds more painful than looking every last word up in the dictionary when at an intermediate level. I'm almost tempted to ask why not to transliterate every unknown word into cuneiform and engrave it too...

Perhaps more usefully, emk's points are very sound; please consider them.
8 persons have voted this message useful

Incunabulum
United States
Joined 4851 days ago

13 posts - 30 votes
Studies: French, Serbian

Message 11 of 18
11 February 2013 at 4:18pm | IP Logged 
With some languages (French for example), the problem is deciding which language
learning resources to use. With other languages the problem is finding anything useful
beyond the beginner stage, which forces you to be more creative. That is what
motivated my question.

In Serbian, you can find audio books for Serbian literature but it is very unlikely
that you will find an English translation. You can find English literature translated
into Serbian, but the only audio books are those recorded for the blind and they are
very hard to come by. So far I've only been able to find one book where I had all
three parts for LR (L1 text, L2 text, and L2 audio), and the L2 text had been scanned
and so had many scanning errors, omitted pages, etc. which needed to be fixed. Doing
that is much more painful than hours of Anki.

So the original question I posted was whether using SRS on sentences from a parallel
text would be useful, and the question was directed to anyone who may have actually
tried it. I got replies from several people that had not tried it but were apparently
horrified or somehow offended that I even suggested it, warning me or Anki hell and
suggesting putting it in cuneiform instead. A simple "no, I don't think that would be
a good thing to do" would have been fine, or a more useful "I think struggling through
the parallel text repeatedly will be better".

2 persons have voted this message useful

stifa
Triglot
Norway
lang-8.com/448715
Joined 4685 days ago

629 posts - 813 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, EnglishC2, German
Studies: Japanese, Spanish

Message 12 of 18
11 February 2013 at 7:15pm | IP Logged 
I too think Volte is overreacting.

I think you're best off just trying it and reporting back. I presonally use subs2srs
quite often, and I delete about 80% of the cards because they are either too hard or
too easy. The only advice is just to be picky and delete any cards that you don't
benefit from.

2 persons have voted this message useful

kujichagulia
Japan
Joined 4659 days ago

1031 posts - 1571 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Japanese, Portuguese

Message 13 of 18
12 February 2013 at 12:42am | IP Logged 
I would think twice before just dismissing the advice that Volte and emk have given.

Even if they haven't tried the specific method that the OP inquired about, both of them are experienced language learners who have "been through the fire", if you will, and know a thing or two. Their advice has personally helped me out with my language learning, and emk has been especially helpful when it comes to Anki and SRS.
3 persons have voted this message useful

RedBeard
United States
atariage.com
Joined 5914 days ago

126 posts - 182 votes 
Speaks: Ancient Greek*
Studies: French, German

Message 14 of 18
24 February 2013 at 7:52am | IP Logged 
One could try a smaller test and give it a chance. For example: choose a long magazine article or a short novella that looks interesting and SRS it just like the proposal.

You can then sort out any issues in the work flow and timing - and when it is all done, you'll know for sure if it was worth it. You can gauge how long the larger work will take, whether the reward will equal the work, etc.

As with most new ideas around here, I think fellow HTLAL'ers will enjoy hearing about the process and its eventual outcome.

:wq!

[edited for clarity]

Edited by RedBeard on 24 February 2013 at 5:04pm

andras_farkas
Tetraglot
Groupie
Hungary
Joined 4712 days ago

56 posts - 165 votes 
Speaks: Hungarian*, Spanish, English, Italian

Message 15 of 18
10 March 2013 at 9:13pm | IP Logged 
Hi everyone, I am the author of LF Aligner and I just came across this thread. While the
tool was originally written for translators to generate trasnlation memories, I think it
may prove useful for language learning. I'd certainly be happy to help with this if
there's interest.
Perhaps a little library of aligned books could be compiled and made available online for
language learners to use. If interesting out-of-copyright books can be found, I might
even be able to host the files. The key is finding good quality raw material (full texts
with no extraneous material, preferably not OCRed, not pdf).
I would focus on formats that allow actual reading (side-by-side HTML, perhaps xls and
ebook formats), but there's nothing to stop people from making cards for anki or whatever
they fancy.
5 persons have voted this message useful

twopossums
United States
Joined 4169 days ago

34 posts - 53 votes 
Speaks: English*

Message 16 of 18
20 March 2013 at 1:36am | IP Logged 
Ok not to be a total moron but what do I do with this text file that it outputs. Is there a way I can get this to open in say Word or Acrobat and have it be all aligned so I can read it.

This discussion contains 18 messages over 3 pages: << Prev 13  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version