Diglot
Canada
Joined 4227 days ago

270 posts - 342 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Spanish, Finnish, Latin

Message 25 of 26
20 December 2013 at 2:28am | IP Logged 
That'll be amazing! I know three people that have done the same exchange (italy, spain, brazil) and each of them say
it was an unforgettable, life-changing experience. Now i wish i did it too!
1 person has voted this message useful

WoofCreature
Diglot
Groupie
Canada
Joined 4325 days ago

80 posts - 118 votes 
Speaks: English*, FrenchB2
Studies: German, Portuguese, Norwegian

Message 26 of 26
22 December 2013 at 1:39am | IP Logged 
I just realized I didn't really sum up the year in my last post, so before I make a new log in a few days, I thought I should give this log a proper closing.

French
I've had French classes at school from February to June and then from September to January. I have also taken a number of other math, science and social studies courses in French. I've done a lot of writing and found some Québecois comedians that I like (especially Louis-José Houde). To finish off the year, I passed the DELF B2 exam at the end of November. Here are my results:

Overall: 88/100
Written: 39/50
Comprehension: 21/25
Production: 18/25
Oral: 49/50
Comprehension: 25/25
Production: 24/25

My results are a bit confusing, since I can guarantee that I write MUCH better than I speak. But whatever, I'm happy with my results. I wasn't expecting them to come so early, but I won't complain about that. I kind of wish I could have done the C1 exam since it would be a lot more useful and I think I might have been able to pass it. But oh well. I understand why they have us do the B2 though; from what I've heard from classmates, most got around a 65% overall. One girl got 95%, but she's a genius at everything. Overall, I'm satisfied with my progress and now the challenge will be to continue to improve once I'm done school in only a few months.

Portuguese
Portuguese got quite neglected this year, but I still made a lot of progress when I reflect on the year. I started slugging through my first novel, Veronika decide morrer in February and have since gone through three more. I now read on an ereader, so look up words quite easily, but I don't find myself looking up more than a couple per page on average, and that's including words I'm almost sure about and words I don't know but can easily guess from context. I can mostly understand the majority of the Brabixas videos, and I now find that when I don't understand something, it isn't because of poor listening comprehension, because turning on the subtitles doesn't usually help much. My speaking still lags well behind. I had my first conversation in the language in September, but it didn't go very well and that discouraged me for awhile. Since then though, I managed a couple hours of text chatting on sharedtalk after months of neglect while I focused on Norwegian. In 2014 I plan to try to activate my passive skills and gain more exposure to other varieties of Portuguese than Brazilian.

Norwegian
Norwegian came as an unexpected surprise that simply demanded I learn it. I think it will end up staying my favorite language forever. Since the 15th of March I have gone from absolutely nothing to almost able to struggle through a novel. My listening comprehension is only barely behind my reading comprehension, and that small bit is only because I can read a lot more slowly and I have a pop-up translation dictionary in my browser. When watching something with English subtitles I can often pick up most of the words and I just found today, while watching the sixth episode of Hjem with Swedish subtitles, that I understood more from just listening than from reading the Swedish subtitles. I haven't done much grammar, but thanks to the new Scandinavian team thread, I have been doing a few exercises that seem to have helped already. I have written a bit on lang8 and seem to make less mistakes than in Portuguese, though I have to look up a ton of words per sentence. I haven't attempted speaking, other than shadowing, but that will become a priority if I get to go to Norway for a year on an exchange. I now plan to Listen-Read The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins and then slug through some novels. I was hoping to progress more this year, but I have my whole life to enjoy the language, so I'm not in too much of a rush.

In all, I would say the TAC was a success. Thanks to everyone who read my log throughout the year, I appreciate your comments and support.

Emily96: I know, I can't wait! You could always do an exchange with a different organization... Of course it's not free(or almost free) like Rotary, but...Sorry, I'm terrible, I'm slowly convincing all of my friends to go on an exchange too. But if you do actually consider it, PM me; I have some links to various student exchange organizations that I collected when I didn't get accepted to Rotary last year.
1 person has voted this message useful

This discussion contains 26 messages over 4 pages: << Prev 1 2 3

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version