Language Learning Forum : Language Programs, Books & Tapes Post Reply
10 messages over 2 pages: 1

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6513 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 9 of 10
16 January 2013 at 1:06pm | IP Logged 
I haven't studied Homeric Greek, nor any other kind of Old Greek, but I was surprised that there aren't more diacritic signs - maybe there weren't any in the very first copies, and the stuff has been introduced later during the koiné period. And then Modern Greek has kicked them out again.

However even with my limited background I can see that the translations in Kanewai's message aren't particularly close to the original (which already should be clear from the different number of lines). If I wanted a more congenial translation the thing to look would be a prose translation with retention of the original lines. Maybe such a thing exists, maybe not. Translations into verse are bound to make more alterations to make feet and rhymes fit the verse structure.

There are several complete version of Homer's texts on the internet (for instance here, with a reference to a pure prose version by Samuel Butler from 1898):

μῆνιν ἄειδε θεὰ Πηληϊάδεω Ἀχιλῆος
οὐλομένην, ἣ μυρί' Ἀχαιοῖς ἄλγε' ἔθηκε,
πολλὰς δ' ἰφθίμους ψυχὰς Ἄϊδι προί̈αψεν
ἡρώων,

Sing, O goddess, the anger of Achilles son of Peleus, that brought countless ills upon the Achaeans. Many a brave soul did it send hurrying down to Hades,...

But even this isn't really close enough. There is another prose version here (Kline):

Goddess, sing me the anger, of Achilles, Peleus’ son, that fatal anger that brought countless sorrows on the Greeks, and sent many valiant souls of warriors down to Hades, ...

There are many other translations, but I haven't seen anything really precise - the translators all have this irritating idea about delivering something that is good literature rather than a good study aid.

In Danish there is a magnificent old version by Wilster - in verse, actually:

Vreden, Gudinde! besyng, som greb Peleiden Achilleus
Rædsomt, og Qvaler i tusinde Tal Achaierne voldte.
Heel mangfoldige Heltes behjertede Sjele den skikked
Ned til Hades's Hjem,

.. and it is as close to the original as the English prose versions I quoted above. For instance "rædsomt" corresponding to "οὐλομένην" is put at the correct spot, which the other translations don't do. PS see also this comparison between the begining of Wilster, a newer Danish translation by O.S.Due and the greek original.

As I said I can't read Old Greek, but my guess at a literal translation of the lines above would be something like:

Anger about-sing, goddess, of* (the) Peleid Achilleus
destructive, which myriads (to) Achaians pains/sorrows brought (?),
(and) many of stalwart souls to Hades sent
of heroes

* of the anger of ..

PS I just found something called the 'Chicago Homer', which translate the same lines as follows

IL.1.1   μῆνιν ἄειδε θεὰ [1Πηληϊάδεω Ἀχιλῆος1]
IL.1.1   SING, goddess, the anger of Peleus' son Achilleus

IL.1.2   οὐλομένην, ἣ μυρί' Ἀχαιοῖς [2ἄλγε' [3ἔθηκε,2]
IL.1.2   and its devastation, which put pains thousandfold upon the Achaians,

IL.1.3   πολλὰς δ'3] ἰφθίμους ψυχὰς [4Ἄϊδι προΐαψεν4]
IL.1.3   hurled in their multitudes to the house of Hades strong souls

IL.1.4   ἡρώων, ...
IL.1.4   of heroes,....

Ahem, where is the "house" in the Greek original?

Edited by Iversen on 17 January 2013 at 1:19pm

1 person has voted this message useful

kanewai
Triglot
United States
justpaste.it/kanewai
Joined 4699 days ago

1386 posts - 3054 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Marshallese
Studies: Italian, Spanish

Message 10 of 10
16 January 2013 at 4:29pm | IP Logged 
Actually, the Greek-to-English and English-to-Greek translations in the answer key are
from two separate exercises. I was thrown off in the beginning too.
1 person has voted this message useful

This discussion contains 10 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version