Jeffers
United Kingdom
Joined 4709 days ago

2151 posts - 3960 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Hindi, Ancient Greek, French, Sanskrit, German

Message 1 of 15
12 January 2013 at 2:42pm | IP Logged 
There just aren't enough French readers on the market currently, particularly for beginners. Here are a few which seem good to me. For convenience, I'm listing them in order from easier to more difficult.

Beginner's French Reader by Anne Topping. A very short reader designed for absolute beginners, probably first published some time in the 1960s. If you pay full price (about $18 dollars in the US, only used in the UK) you might feel a bit ripped off because it's less than 60 pages, and there's not much text on most pages. It only uses the present tense, and does not use object or relative pronouns. On the back cover it describes the language as "simplified but authentic". Suitable for a beginner to use within a few weeks of starting French. [Super Challenge: I am counting as 8 pages]

Easy French Reader by R. De Roussy De Sales. In print, but it has a slightly dated feel to it. The first section tells about a French boy and an American girl in Paris. The second section are brief bios of important figures from French history. The third section contains 4 abridged short stories. You can get a version with a CDROM which has mp3 audio of the first section, and one story from the third section. I find some of the voices a bit annoying, but I do prefer to be able to listen first at the stage of French I'm at. On Amazon.co.uk the CD-Rom version does not seem to be in print anymore! Good for when you're halfway through your beginner textbook or course. [Super challenge: I am reading and re-reading sections, so will submit it when I've read 100 pages. But there are a lot of blank or half pages. Total French pages is probably about 80.]

French Reader (Teach Yourself), by N Scarlyn Wilson (author of the old Teach Yourself French books). Published in 1970, this little hardcover is made up mainly of extracts from French literature, with a chapter of poetry and a chapter of newspaper articles. The first chapter is described as "Easy Passages", and most of the rest of the chapters are built around particular grammatical points. For example, chapter 2 is on uses of "on", chapter 4 is about uses of "que", etc. Each of these chapters begins with a page or two in English explaining the points of grammar. The intended audience is clearly people who want to read and translate French literature, so the emphasis in grammatical explanations is on how to render the French in good translations, not on how people use the language in conversation. There is one chapter of conversational extracts from books, but the purpose is to give the reader practice with translating the first person. I am glad I bought this book, and I should point out that there are several used copies on amazon.co.uk, all of which are going for £5 or less (including shipping). I won't be tackling this until I finish with Assimil. [Super challenge: 129 pages, about 30 of which are in English].

Can anyone recommend any other good French readers for beginners?

EDIT: I added in my page count estimates for those doing super challenges.

Edited by Jeffers on 12 January 2013 at 3:15pm

4 persons have voted this message useful

Γρηγόρη
Tetraglot
Groupie
United States
Joined 4255 days ago

55 posts - 154 votes 
Speaks: English*, Greek, Latin, Ancient Greek
Studies: German, French, Russian

Message 2 of 15
12 January 2013 at 4:03pm | IP Logged 
If you don't mind some quaint, antiquated pictures and language, there's a charming reader from the late-19th
century available for free on Google books:

James Henry Worman

Cours de français d'après la méthode naturelle, premier livre

http://books.google.com/books?
id=C2wZAAAAYAAJ&printsec=frontcover&dq=Premier+livre+worman& hl=en&sa=X&ei=_pilUMod8IfRAZz-
gfgG&ved=0CEEQ6AEwBQ

There's also a second book, but I can't find it now.
1 person has voted this message useful

Sunja
Diglot
Germany
Joined 5885 days ago

2020 posts - 2295 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: French, Mandarin

Message 3 of 15
12 January 2013 at 4:38pm | IP Logged 
I've always liked the books from the Compact Verlag, but their glossaries are German/French, so no help there, but I was curious about English/French and I found

easyreaders.eu (EGMONT)

(The books appear to be categorized from "beinner" to "advanced")

Here's a list of distributors for various countries.

I haven't tried any of these so I can't make any recommendations, but for those looking for readers these links could be helpful.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Elexi
United Kingdom
Joined 5365 days ago

938 posts - 1839 votes 
Studies: French, German, Latin

Message 4 of 15
12 January 2013 at 5:31pm | IP Logged 
I have found the Hachette Lire Francais Facile series to be pretty good for graded
readers - lots of teenager books here, but you can hardly read War and Peace at Grade
A1:

http://www.fle.hachette-livre.fr/ouvrages/pages/catalogue/fi che-livre/la-disparition-cd-
audio-a2-1553965.html

Mareike
Germany
Joined 6024 days ago

267 posts - 323 votes 
Speaks: German*
Studies: English, Swedish

Message 5 of 15
12 January 2013 at 6:25pm | IP Logged 
Here is also a list of easy readers http://www.lektueren.com/franzoesisch/titel/niveau/A1.html

The list is in German, but I think you're able to type the isbn or name on http://www.amazon.co.uk.

For example:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Cyber-attaque-au-coll%C3%A8ge-Isabel le-Darras/dp/3125230691/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=13580 11224&sr=1-1
or
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Courage-Youki-Schullekt%C3%BCre-1-Le rnjahr/dp/3125918502/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=13580114 17&sr=1-1

Remember to remove the spaces.

Edited by Mareike on 12 January 2013 at 6:26pm

Jeffers
United Kingdom
Joined 4709 days ago

2151 posts - 3960 votes 
Studies: Hindi, Ancient Greek, French, Sanskrit, German

Message 6 of 15
12 January 2013 at 6:44pm | IP Logged 
Thanks for the suggestions. Elexi: I already have 4 books from the LFF series. I think they're great, and the audio is very well produced.

Sunja, I will check out that easyreaders series. It appears you can download free audio for some of them. I might download the audio and listen to them before deciding whether to buy any of them.

To me, these kinds of books aren't what I'd call a "reader"... which is usually a collection of readings, usually with increasing difficulty (and usually has the word "Reader" in the title). I guess I'd call them "minibooks" or something. For German I have found two good series of minibooks with audio published by Langenscheidt. These series are clearly designed to be followed through book by book. One series, Felix & Theo, is described "Leichte Lekturen" and is made for people learning German. The other, Klara & Theo, is described as "Leichte Krimis" and is made of young Germans. Both seem equally good for learners, are connected by characters, and many come with a mini cd.

Unfortunately for French learners, the series mentioned above aren't exactly designed as series; each book is discrete. Now that I'm studying French, I miss the amazing amount of learning material published by the Germans for learning German.

Juаn
Colombia
Joined 5145 days ago

727 posts - 1830 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*

Message 7 of 15
13 January 2013 at 5:53pm | IP Logged 
The Easy French Reader w/CD-ROM is still available new here and here. It is very good and a bargain.

Quique
Diglot
Spain
cronopios.net/Registered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4482 days ago

183 posts - 313 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, English
Studies: French, German

Message 8 of 15
13 January 2013 at 8:10pm | IP Logged 
I've just ordered these:
First French Reader: A Beginner's Dual-Language Book
French Stories / Contes Français (A Dual-Language Book)

These also look good, but they'll have to wait:
Short Stories in French: New Penguin Parallel Text
French Short Stories 1 / Nouvelles Francaises 1: Parallel Text (Penguin Parallel Text)

All the above have original French text on one page, and their English translation on the other page, so you don't need to go back and forth to the dictionary.

Besides, the original texts are FUNBUN (For Natives by Natives), not dumbed down language.

The first two books are anthologies of classical writers such as Voltaire, Rousseau, Balzac, Baudelaire, Proust, Camus, Maupassant... I can't wait to get them!

This discussion contains 15 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version