Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5129 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 9 of 16
21 January 2013 at 7:16am | IP Logged 
You seem to have two of the most useful assets - strong motivation and access to a native speaker. I am
sure you will do great. ( And I won't even say anything about hot potatoes :-)
1 person has voted this message useful

AnaV
Diglot
Denmark
Joined 4131 days ago

20 posts - 21 votes
Speaks: Portuguese*, English
Studies: Danish

Message 10 of 16
22 January 2013 at 2:08am | IP Logged 
Solfrid Cristin wrote:
And I won't even say anything about hot potatoes :-)

lol...it makes my life much harder :D

Edited by AnaV on 04 February 2013 at 12:58am

AnaV
Diglot
Denmark
Joined 4131 days ago

20 posts - 21 votes

Message 11 of 16
04 February 2013 at 12:58am | IP Logged 
Still not very happy about the way my studies are going. I think my schedule is not
helping. It's hard to me to accomplish all the items on my list, and I end up feeling
myself quite overwhelmed rather than studying properly. So, once more, I will cut on my
list. For this week my goals are just:

*** Studying my Anki deck, adding at least 10 new words per day. I have 331 cards so
far, so I want to finish the week with at least 391

*** Read at least 1 page of my book aloud.

I generally watch Danish tv programs/movies and read Danish newspapers every day, but I
will stop trying to track this, because I'm feeling this is counterproductive to me.

Let's see if things are going to work out better from now on!

I have also realized I haven't mentioned my learning resources here, so I will do it
now:

Grammar/textbooks
I've started with "Teach Yourself Danish", by Bente Elsworth. It was very useful
to a first contact with the language and its grammar rules. After finishing with this
one I've got Dansk for hele verden. I'm in the middle of the book now and will
restart studying it when I go back to Denmark. I think it is helping me a lot with my
conversational skills. While I'm in Brazil, I'm occasionally studying the lessons of
the website danskherognu.dk

Book
I have the Danish and the Portuguese versions of the book Memoirs of a Gueisha
by Arthur Golden. So I read some pages in Danish, read the same in Portuguese and then
read once more in Danish, now with an idea of the meaning of the words I didn't know. I
also read aloud some parts of the book to my husband to practise pronunciation.

Tv and Movies
I try to watch as much tv as I can - news, documentaries, morning programs. I like to
watch culinary shows, because I like cooking and because generally there is a guest, so
I can also try to follow the conversations. I learn a lot with English shows with
Danish subtitles. I'm also finding entire Danish movies on youtube, as well as a lot of
cartoons, and it is great.

Newspapers
I follow the main Danish newspapers on Facebook, and try to pick up the most
interesting articles to read. I try to read the entire article, and then I look at the
dictionary the words I could not get the meaning by the context.

Conversation
I try to talk to my husband in Danish, but I am still trying to figure out how to do it
more effectively. I try to set a time to speak in Danish every day, but I confess we
don't use to stick to it. I'm starting to think in setting a weekday when we should
speak only in Danish - who knows it works :D Anyway, it's a problematic area -
suggestions are welcome!

Vi ses!

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4961 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, Norwegian, French, English, Italian, Papiamento
Studies: Mandarin, Georgian, Russian

Message 12 of 16
04 February 2013 at 1:12am | IP Logged 
I might be wrong, but I think that when you are focusing on one language, the way you are
doing with Danish, you don't need to enforce your schedule that much, at least not for
all activities. You could set a schedule for a core of textbooks/activities and leave the
rest free, doing what you feel like doing at a given day: Anki, watching movies,
listening to a song. For example, if I were studying only Norwegian, I'd first study from
a textbook and from a grammar: that would be my fixed schedule. When I'd have finished,
I'd pick either a book to read or some news at the web or a song or Anki activities,
moving on to other activities if time and my spirit allowed me to.

AnaV
Diglot
Denmark
Joined 4131 days ago

20 posts - 21 votes

Message 13 of 16
04 February 2013 at 9:00pm | IP Logged 
@Expugnator I think you're right. My concern was to make sure I would not slow down my
studies during the time I'm spending in Brazil. I'm not very self-disciplined, so I
thought that my former schedule would help keeping my studies on track. But it didn't
work at all. Now I'm starting to take it easy as the time is going and I realized I'm
managing to study on a regular basis here

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4961 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, Norwegian, French, English, Italian, Papiamento
Studies: Mandarin, Georgian, Russian

Message 14 of 16
04 February 2013 at 9:37pm | IP Logged 
Você está vindo para o Brasil? Interessante!

AnaV
Diglot
Denmark
Joined 4131 days ago

20 posts - 21 votes

Message 15 of 16
06 February 2013 at 2:22am | IP Logged 
@Expugnator Sim, estou no Brasil! Vim para as festas de fim de ano e fico até março :-)

AnaV
Diglot
Denmark
Joined 4131 days ago

20 posts - 21 votes

Message 16 of 16
11 February 2013 at 11:53pm | IP Logged 
AnaV wrote:
For this week my goals are just:

*** Studying my Anki deck, adding at least 10 new words per day. I have 331 cards so
far, so I want to finish the week with at least 391

*** Read at least 1 page of my book aloud.

I'm starting the week with 392 cards on my Anki desk. Planning to reach at least
450 until next monday

I haven't tracked how many pages I've read, but I think I've managed to read about 4.
Will try to improve it during this week

I have also started twitting in Danish - 140 characters feel less intimidating than a
whole blog entry! And as it's a quick thing to do, it's easier to avoid
procrastination. It's also easier to relate to day-to-day things - usually I would try
to blog about a specific topic, and not things like "going out with friends" or "I need
to clean the house". So it's a chance to improve my conversation skills as well :)

This discussion contains 16 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version