United States
Joined 4499 days ago

1134 posts - 1865 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Yiddish
Studies: Modern Hebrew, French, Dutch, Italian, Russian

Message 9 of 11
16 January 2013 at 5:25pm | IP Logged 
Bobb328 wrote:
I started out only doing around 45 minutes a day and for the past two months I've been doing
1.5-2 hours a
day plus listening to the lessons during the day. I can understand the most basic of things but that's about it. I
was thinking of getting that book, German How to Write it and Speak it, but I never knew if it was good or not.
Thanks for all the replies! I'm trying not to get discouraged.

A consistent 45 minutes a day of good study should be plenty to keep making solid progress, and 1.5-2 hrs even
more so. Based on what you've posted so far I would guess that you're doing fine but are getting discouraged
because of the notorious "intermediate hump/plateau," which is discussed periodically on these forums. It happens
to everyone.

Note that literature, and even TV and newspapers, use a FAR broader vocabulary than what can be covered
exhaustively in an Assimil course, or indeed in ANY course, and the only way to learn it is to spend a lot of time
learning it through other means, such as intensive and extensive reading and listening. Reading and listening to
textbook lessons will never get you all the way to understanding native writing and audio, no matter how long you
practice, because they're simply not the same.

I know that this sounds a bit like a doctor giving a diagnosis over the internet, so if anything I say sounds
completely off base in your case, remember that you know more about yourself than anyone else, and everyone
learns differently. This is just my best guess from afar. Good luck!
2 persons have voted this message useful

Bobb328
Groupie
Canada
Joined 4396 days ago

52 posts - 78 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Russian

Message 10 of 11
16 January 2013 at 11:42pm | IP Logged 
I kind of shadow Assimil but not really. Meaning I go through lesson until I understand it and then I just repeat the
recording for about 15 minutes. I review all the time and can probably recite the first 35 lessons perfectly. However, I
don't think I'm going to buy Assimil l'Allemand; one because Assimil is expensive and two because I already have the TY
course, which, just flipping through it, looks very very comprehensive. I've noticed that I can understand the slightest gist
of colloquial conversation but when it comes to most movies and news, I'm pretty much lost. But to geoffw, I agree, I've
been exposing myself more and more to native German materials and I think it's helping. I heard words a lot that I
recognize but can't quite recall what they mean so I just pause and look them up.

Also, I don't think the active wave is really effective yet. I started doing it a little late (meaning around lesson 65) and I've
noticed that I just have the first lessons memorized and I'm not really trying to translate anything. I'm only on lesson 40
on the active because I don't do it every day but it's getting a little harder now since I don't know the lesson as well.
Basically, I think I need to get more disciplined and start doing it every day.

Has anyone tried the TY course?
1 person has voted this message useful

tennisfan
Triglot
United States
Joined 5171 days ago

130 posts - 247 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian, Spanish
Studies: German

Message 11 of 11
17 January 2013 at 7:25am | IP Logged 
Another suggestion would be the Living Language course "German: Beyond the Basics."

It's a nice step after GWE, there are numerous contemporary, colloquial conversations, with a side-by-side translation similar to Assimil. And yet it starts off also with the most basic grammar concepts despite the conversations starting off at an intermediate level. I got quite a bit of both grammar and idiomatic usage from it. I highly recommend it.

1 person has voted this message useful

This discussion contains 11 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version