Spinchäeb Ape
Diglot
United States
Joined 4250 days ago

146 posts - 180 votes 
Speaks: English*, German

Message 1 of 5
15 January 2013 at 12:32pm | IP Logged 
Does anyone know if Amazon.fr will accept an order for a DVD from the US? Or are they going to bug me with, "Sorry, you're not in our region"? It's obviously a good source of French language movies. It used to be that the stupid region restrictions on DVDs would prevent them from playing in the US, but now there's technology to get around that easily.
1 person has voted this message useful

fireballtrouble
Triglot
Turkey
Joined 4304 days ago

129 posts - 203 votes 
Speaks: Turkish*, French, English
Studies: German

Message 2 of 5
15 January 2013 at 12:42pm | IP Logged 
It works. For region case, EU and non-EU distinction just effects the cost of shipment.
2 persons have voted this message useful

daristani
United States
Joined 6924 days ago

752 posts - 1661 votes 
Studies: Uzbek

Message 3 of 5
15 January 2013 at 2:43pm | IP Logged 
I live in the US and order frequently from Amazon.fr, Amazon.de, and Amazon.ca, and have never had any problems, other than the higher postage fees for shipments from Europe.
5 persons have voted this message useful

seldnar
United States
Joined 6912 days ago

189 posts - 287 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Mandarin, French, Greek

Message 4 of 5
15 January 2013 at 10:22pm | IP Logged 
Also, don't forget that deastore.com has free shipping and can supply books (and DVDs)
in French, Italian, German, and Spanish. The thing is: if it is in a language other
than Italian, they order the book from the source country and this usually takes 15
days (ignore what their website says--its always at least 15 days) and then it can take
from a week to four weeks to arrive at an address in the United States. I use them a
lot because 1) I'm not in a hurry and 2) FREE shipping.

Bookdepository.com also offers some books in French and German and they too have free
shipping.

deastore.com

bookdepository.com

4 persons have voted this message useful

Spinchäeb Ape
Diglot
United States
Joined 4250 days ago

146 posts - 180 votes 
Speaks: English*, German

Message 5 of 5
16 January 2013 at 12:38am | IP Logged 
Thanks for all the help, everyone. I find it makes a big, big difference to watch movies in the language I'm learning. I tried to get French language channels from DirectTV, but they weren't available. I was surprised since I'm not that far from Canada (Idaho).

Here's a film I'm thinking of ordering from deastore.com:

http://www.deastore.com/dvd/verita-la-henry-georges-clouzot/ 8023562001942.html

Under language it says, "Italian French." I take that to mean it has two soundtracks, one in Italian and the other in French. Correct? It also doesn't say if there are English subtitles. If there aren't, those can usually be found online, but it's a little bit of a crap shoot if they're accurate or in sync. My French isn't good enough yet to go without subtitles.

1 person has voted this message useful

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version