Groupie
United Kingdom
Joined 4174 days ago

40 posts - 43 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: Polish

Message 1 of 13
15 January 2013 at 3:18pm | IP Logged 
Once I have completed my Polish studies, I am thinking of taking up 3 further languages, which are Afrikaans, Romanian and Lithuanian. Which one of those would be easiest to learn after Polish for an English speaker in terms of:

1) Grammar
2) Pronunciation
3) Syntax
4) Anything else of note.

Thanks in advance,

Samantha
1 person has voted this message useful

MarcusOdim
Groupie
Brazil
Joined 4658 days ago

91 posts - 142 votes 

Message 2 of 13
15 January 2013 at 3:49pm | IP Logged 
Afrikaans
It's grammar seems very simplistic
Lithuanian's grammar is pretty tough, man
Romanian grammar may not be tough, but it's harder than Afrikaans

Afrikaans could be hard when it comes to resorces, it's a goddamn useless language.

geoffw
Triglot
United States
Joined 4499 days ago

1134 posts - 1865 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Yiddish
Studies: Modern Hebrew, French, Dutch, Italian, Russian

Message 3 of 13
15 January 2013 at 4:38pm | IP Logged 
Only the OP knows how important these languages are to her. They're definitely all fairly obscure and
geographically concentrated, but all very useful within their respective communities and spoken by millions.
Learning Afrikaans well would also make Dutch somewhat understandable without further study.

Yes, Afrikaans is very likely to be the most intuitive to a native English speaker by a good bit. Thereafter, I suspect
Romanian grammar and vocabulary should be more transparent to a native English speaker with no prior exposure
to either. Experience with Latin or a Romance language would weigh in favor of Romanian, as well.

That said, I would recommend going for what really means something to you. Think about why you're interested in
these languages, and go with what is going to be most useful and most meaningful to you. None of them are going
to be effortless, and none are impossible, either.

sammymcgoff
Groupie
United Kingdom
Joined 4174 days ago

40 posts - 43 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: Polish

Message 4 of 13
15 January 2013 at 4:49pm | IP Logged 
geoffw wrote:
Only the OP knows how important these languages are to her. They're definitely all fairly obscure and
geographically concentrated, but all very useful within their respective communities and spoken by millions.
Learning Afrikaans well would also make Dutch somewhat understandable without further study.

Yes, Afrikaans is very likely to be the most intuitive to a native English speaker by a good bit. Thereafter, I suspect
Romanian grammar and vocabulary should be more transparent to a native English speaker with no prior exposure
to either. Experience with Latin or a Romance language would weigh in favor of Romanian, as well.

That said, I would recommend going for what really means something to you. Think about why you're interested in
these languages, and go with what is going to be most useful and most meaningful to you. None of them are going
to be effortless, and none are impossible, either.

I did study French and Spanish at high school,so maybe that could help with Romanian?

geoffw
Triglot
United States
Joined 4499 days ago

1134 posts - 1865 votes 

Message 5 of 13
15 January 2013 at 4:53pm | IP Logged 
Yes, that should buy you some extra cognate vocabulary with Romanian, though far less than with Italian,
Portuguese or Catalan. With Afrikaans you get a lot of cognates from English.

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6408 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 6 of 13
15 January 2013 at 5:02pm | IP Logged 
Yes, this will help with Romanian!!! it also has a Slavic flavour with which Polish will help you :) (and the experience with the case system will help the same way Latin would)
It's also a lovely language, and probably the most widespread on the net out of these. The Romanians are like Russians and there's a lot of stuff you can get for free, not very legally. Well, I suppose the Lithuanians are like that too but I've not come across almost any fun stuff in it.

I hope I'm wrong but I think resources-wise the situation is the worst with Lithuanian.

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6408 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 7 of 13
15 January 2013 at 5:04pm | IP Logged 
geoffw wrote:
Yes, that should buy you some extra cognate vocabulary with Romanian, though far less than with Italian, Portuguese or Catalan.
I wouldn't say it's far less. Apart from the etymological cognates Romanian also has loan words from French and probably Italian.

geoffw
Triglot
United States
Joined 4499 days ago

1134 posts - 1865 votes 

Message 8 of 13
15 January 2013 at 5:20pm | IP Logged 
Serpent wrote:
geoffw wrote:
Yes, that should buy you some extra cognate vocabulary with Romanian,
though far less than with Italian, Portuguese or Catalan.
I wouldn't say it's far less. Apart from the
etymological cognates Romanian also has loan words from French and probably Italian.

I don't have much experience with Romanian, so I'm not going to argue. I've heard tell about how the Romanians
got geographically isolated from the other Romance-language-speaking peoples and ended up with a more
distinctive language influenced by the geographically closer Slavs, but that's all rumour as far as I'm concerned,
and nothing I've verified myself.

This discussion contains 13 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version