Glottis
United States
Joined 4149 days ago

1 posts - 1 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: Arabic (classical)

Message 1 of 4
15 January 2013 at 9:56pm | IP Logged 
Hey everyone. I'm looking for some good resources to learn Jordanian Arabic. My vocab is getting pretty good, but it's all fusha vocab. I know there's crossover though. What I really need is an overview of Jordanian Grammar and sentence structure. Does anyone know where I could find such a thing?

-Thanks to all ya'll

PS. This is my first post in what I can tell is a wonderful community.
1 person has voted this message useful

kanewai
Triglot
United States
justpaste.it/kanewai
Joined 4700 days ago

1386 posts - 3054 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Marshallese
Studies: Italian, Spanish

Message 2 of 4
15 January 2013 at 10:17pm | IP Logged 
I started the course in Syrian Arabic back when
it was a free online course (and I wish I had saved it!), and I thought the first part
was very useful. I remember running into a block about four or five chapters in, though.
The dialogues got harder, and I was convinced they were using vocabulary that hadn't even
been covered yet.

You might have better luck if you have a good background in fusha. But Syrian Arabic,
combined with a dozen chapters in Living Language, helped me a lot during a vacation to
Jordan.

Jappy58
Bilingual Super Polyglot
United States
Joined 4449 days ago

200 posts - 413 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, Guarani*, Arabic (Levantine), Arabic (Egyptian), Arabic (Maghribi), Arabic (Written), French, English, Persian, Quechua, Portuguese
Studies: Modern Hebrew

Message 3 of 4
16 January 2013 at 12:39am | IP Logged 
Before suggesting resources, I'd like to point out that Jordanian Arabic is extremely
similar to the other Levantine dialects (Lebanese, Palestinian, and Syrian). This is
important to know because resources for these other dialects - despite not necessarily
being "Jordanian" specifically, will be very useful in acquiring the general dialect of
the region. In short, don't limit your resource options just because a course is listed
as "Lebanese" or "Syrian": make use of them as well! ;)

The resource kanewai provided is one that I also highly recommend. The course is
certainly authentic Syrian Arabic, and is great for reaching a solid intermediate
(roughly B1 on the CEFR Scale) level, possibly even low B2, if accompanied with native
materials.

Other resources I think you should consider:

COLLOQUIAL PALESTINIAN ARABIC
This is an excellent course, IMO. Palestinian Arabic shares more in common with
Egyptian Arabic (when compared to the other Levantine dialects), but is very useful in
Jordan.

POPULAR PALESTINIAN PROVERBS Although its focus
is also on Palestinian Arabic, it is useful in many parts of the Levant and even other
regions of the Arab world. That being said, this is something I would recommend more
for high-intermediate-to-advanced students.

"A DICTIONARY FOR SYRIAN ARABIC"
Great for this dialect.

"SHOU FI MA FI?"
A decent course, though more
focused on Lebanese, followed by Syrian.

"LIVING ARABIC" by Munther Younes
This course features Jordanian Arabic, with some MSA used for reading selections, etc.

CultureTalk
Arab Levant
Focuses on Levantine dialect, some are Jordanian.

I would highly recommend that you continue to expand your knowledge of Modern Standard
Arabic - not only does it serve as the roots and stem of the various Arabic dialects,
but many of the courses offered for dialect are most accessible with prior knowledge of
MSA.

Hope this helps! :)

EDIT: The links did not come up properly for some of the resources - they can all be
found on Amazon, however.

Edited by Jappy58 on 16 January 2013 at 12:42am

2 persons have voted this message useful

Luso
Hexaglot
Portugal
Joined 5872 days ago

819 posts - 1812 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, French, EnglishC2, GermanB1, Italian, Spanish
Studies: Sanskrit, Arabic (classical)

Message 4 of 4
16 January 2013 at 1:22am | IP Logged 
I'm afraid I don't have any specific products to recommend. I'd just like to help define what you call "Jordanian Arabic".

The major dialects in Jordan are Levantine (when I was there I was told that about three quarters of the population is of Palestinian origin) and Badawi Najdi (in the South and East). Jordanian Arabic per se is not usually considered as a full-fledged dialect.

I think that kanewai's is a good suggestion: Syrian is a good choice for that zone in particular. Levantine Arabic is also appropriate.

EDIT: while I was writing this, Jappy58 also posted. I'm not going to erase this, but I think he posted along the same lines, albeit with more detail... and suggestions.

Edited by Luso on 16 January 2013 at 1:26am

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version