Canada
Joined 6934 days ago

213 posts - 218 votes 
3 sounds
Speaks: English*, Italian*, French
Studies: Cantonese, Greek

Message 1 of 4
04 April 2005 at 7:37pm | IP Logged 
I am interested in learning Portuguese. I understand French, Italian, and Spanish very well. I speak French fairly well (although nowhere near fluently) and the other two just passably. This is because I never really bothered to learn any of them. I live in Quebec, I'm of Italian descent (the central Italian dialect of Molise was my first language), and I took three years of spanish in high school. I want to know how long do you think It will take to learn Portuguese fluently if I actually apply myslef. Have any of you tried the Pimsleur course for it? What would you recommend- Brazilian or Continental?
1 person has voted this message useful

administrator
Hexaglot
Forum Admin
Switzerland
FXcuisine.com
Joined 7136 days ago

3094 posts - 2987 votes 
12 sounds
Speaks: French*, EnglishC2, German, Italian, Spanish, Russian
Personal Language Map

Message 2 of 4
05 April 2005 at 12:43am | IP Logged 
Welcome to the forum Giordano!

If you live in North America, Brazilian Portuguese probably makes more sense. Most Portuguese programs sold in the US (I assume, also in Canada) focus in Brazilian Portuguese anyway.

You could begin with Pimsleur if you can get your hands on a copy without breaking the bank. There are two FSI programs as well. I plan to try and learn this language in the near future myself and would use both.

Eric
Australia
Joined 6988 days ago

102 posts - 105 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, French

Message 3 of 4
05 April 2005 at 4:51am | IP Logged 
Giordano I am very much a beginner with only a month or so of Spanish under my belt (read: nothing!) but I find it hard to believe you would need anything more than a couple of books and portuguese movies to pick up everything you need to know?

vilas
Pentaglot
Italy
Joined 6720 days ago

531 posts - 722 votes 
Speaks: Spanish, Italian*, English, French, Portuguese

Message 4 of 4
17 November 2005 at 7:48am | IP Logged 
Giordano , I have learned portuguese with a little book and a dictionary when I was working in Angola , in 3 months. If you know Spanish italian and french as you said it seems that you have an attitude for romance Languages so it will be easy for you....
your Molise dialect it a mix between Rome and Naples dialects...very funny

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version