Triglot
Russian Federation
Joined 4113 days ago

134 posts - 181 votes 
Speaks: French, English*, Russian
Studies: Finnish, Sign Language

Message 25 of 63
09 December 2013 at 8:40pm | IP Logged 
В субботу ходила в кино. Смотрела "Голодные Игры". Фильм хороший, интересный. Мне
понравился.
Прочитала около 70 страниц книги "Кот, который улыбался." Надеюсь дочитать до конца
завтра.

Edited by milesaway on 11 December 2013 at 7:00am

1 person has voted this message useful

milesaway
Triglot
Russian Federation
Joined 4113 days ago

134 posts - 181 votes 

Message 26 of 63
10 December 2013 at 9:45pm | IP Logged 
До конца не получилось, осталось 40 страниц. Завтра обязательно.

Решила поменять профиль. Теперь написано что я владею русским. Наверно давно уже,
но я не была уверена.

Edited by milesaway on 11 December 2013 at 7:01am

milesaway
Triglot
Russian Federation
Joined 4113 days ago

134 posts - 181 votes 

Message 27 of 63
12 December 2013 at 9:11am | IP Logged 
I finished that book! I'd been going through it very slowly for months, but I decided to
get back into the swing of Russian and took it with me to work and also read it on the
metro, so I finished it in 3 days.

Next up is another Russian book. I started one, but it's not particularly interesting so
far, so I might switch to something else. I may also do some more intensive work with the
readers and try to get some new vocabulary out of them. When I read a novel in Russian, I
generally do not look up new words as I can understand the story without that. I would
like to know more words of course, so I think that will be the next plan.

milesaway
Triglot
Russian Federation
Joined 4113 days ago

134 posts - 181 votes 

Message 28 of 63
17 December 2013 at 11:41am | IP Logged 
I suppose it's time to do a year end review.

Finnish

Sadly, nowhere near as much progress as I would have hoped. I keep getting frustrated a
few units in, no matter which book. I did watch a few films in Finnish (with English
subtitles). I have more materials, so maybe the new materials will help me break
through that wall next year.

Russian

I got annoyed with the grammar books, so I am not actively "studying" as such, but I
speak it with the admin staff at work. I read several books and watched a lot of films.
I watched a film last night that was in English with Russian subtitles, and the actors
had really strong London accents, so I often found myself reading the Russian to find
out what they were saying.

French
It's something I'll get back to, but I'm not too concerned about it, as it's still very
strongly ingrained in my brain. I do notice myself inserting Russian words when I speak
French.

Overall, life got crazy on me, so I was unable to study as much as I would have liked.
However I am quite proud of myself for reading those books, and without too much
difficulty either. There are still a lot of words I don't know, however I understand
almost everything that's happening.

milesaway
Triglot
Russian Federation
Joined 4113 days ago

134 posts - 181 votes 

Message 29 of 63
17 December 2013 at 11:53am | IP Logged 
Now for some goals for 2014 and beyond.

Russian
This is probably my biggest focus again this year. I intend to find some good grammar
books and work through them. I'll be taking lessons with one of the Russian teachers at
work, likely just once a week. That will happen sometime after February I imagine.

By June 2015:
-Read 150-200 books
-Watch 200 films
-Write 100 essays

It's not one of the official challenges, but I think it should help me achieve my other
goal for June 2015.
-Take (and pass) the C1 exam.

Why June 2015? I'm fairly certain that I'll be going back home to Canada after that
point, and I believe it would help me if I had a certificate proving my language
ability in Russian.

I've also decided to switch to Russian at home after February, so that should give me
more practice and hopefully get me ready for the exam.

Finnish
I don't have any concrete goals or grand plans for Finnish. I'll aim for 25 films in
Finnish, and maybe 10 books. Very modest goals, but given my current level, I think
that's fair enough.

Materials for Finnish:
-Assimil
-Suomen Mestari
-FSI Finnish
-Pimsleur
-Finnish for Foreigners 1 and 2

A few other things as well, including Teach Yourself, which I keep giving up on, and
Colloquial Finnish. I have a few textbooks in Russian, so I might go through those a
bit, mostly for the grammar practice.

I suppose ideally, I'd get up to an A2 level, or perhaps even B1 by December 2014.

Icelandic
I'm going through Colloquial Icelandic and Teach Yourself Icelandic at the moment. It's
my main language focus until February. I'll be there for 8 days, and I hope to have at
least 1 short conversation. I would also like to be able to read the menu and street
signs. I don't expect it to be a long-term language project, but we shall see.

Depending on how my Finnish and Russian are going, I may add another language. As
mentioned previously, I'm undecided between Italian, Spanish, and German.

I think I posted different goals in another thread, but after some serious thinking, I
believe these are my "final" goals, for 2014 and beyond.
2 persons have voted this message useful

milesaway
Triglot
Russian Federation
Joined 4113 days ago

134 posts - 181 votes 

Message 30 of 63
27 December 2013 at 1:55pm | IP Logged 
I watched a Russian film today, called "Метро". It was pretty good. About 2 hours long.

I'll start counting my films and book from January 1st.

As of today, the completed pages count for 2013 is 1588 (Russian only). That's only
completed books, so I'd guess that I'm closer to 1700, since I read parts of books in
Canada this summer and also some short stories. There were also a few books I started,
but never got into, so quit about 30-40 pages in.

I think my goal is possible. There's a good chance I'll be teaching the winter camp,
because the teacher who was supposed to do it ran into some visa problems. The camp is
out in the country side with no internet access, so my options will be limited to
either watching films on my computer, or reading. Hopefully I can get a few good
Russian or Finnish films to watch.

milesaway
Triglot
Russian Federation
Joined 4113 days ago

134 posts - 181 votes 

Message 31 of 63
30 December 2013 at 10:19am | IP Logged 
I made a trip to the book market on Saturday, and got 15 books for just under 20$ (USD,
just for conversion's sake).

I got a few simple books which I intend to use for my intensive studying, where I
highlight all the unknown words and look them up. I've also got about 20 ebooks, which
I will get to once I've gone through the intensive reading and some of the new books I
bought.

I'll be going to see The Hobbit on January 1st. So my Russian film challenge will be
off to a good start, since it's about 3 hours, and thus counts as 2 films.

So, I hope everyone enjoys their holidays. I don't really have any. I worked on
Christmas Day, and I get the 31st and 1st off, then I'm off to camp until the 12th, and
back to work on the 13th. Sigh.

espejismo
Diglot
Russian Federation
Joined 4833 days ago

498 posts - 905 votes 
Speaks: Russian*, English
Studies: Spanish, Greek, Azerbaijani

Message 32 of 63
30 December 2013 at 10:30am | IP Logged 
I think we share the same profession (TEFL)? Working on Christmas Day did feel strange. I also have to work on the 31st, but only in the morning.

Anyway, good luck with your Russian studies!

This discussion contains 63 messages over 8 pages: << Prev 1 2 35 6 7 8  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version