Triglot
Russian Federation
Joined 4091 days ago

134 posts - 181 votes 
Speaks: French, English*, Russian
Studies: Finnish, Sign Language

Message 41 of 63
13 January 2014 at 9:50pm | IP Logged 
I finished Кот, который разговаривал с привидениями today. Now I've started Ледяной
дракон.

I went to the library yesterday. It turns out that I cannot take books out, as I am a
foreigner. However my friend registered, so she took books out for me. That will save me
some money.

I'll update the page numbers later. I'm too lazy to do that right now.
1 person has voted this message useful

milesaway
Triglot
Russian Federation
Joined 4091 days ago

134 posts - 181 votes 

Message 42 of 63
14 January 2014 at 10:48am | IP Logged 
Current page total for Russian:
996/20000

Up to page 67 in Ледяной дракон. I expect I'll finish it today. I'd like to be at 1200
by the weekend, but we'll see.

I think 2000 pages is a good goal for the Tadoku challenge this month.

As for Finnish, I watched part of a hockey game in Finnish, and understood maybe 10
words in 45 minutes. So, that's pretty pitiful. :( The only words I understood were
numbers, and sisään, although I forget what that word means. Sigh. A2 is looking
further and further away.

I'm not certain about Icelandic. Learning a language for a short trip is seeming kind
of pointless at the moment. I don't know if I'll continue it at all. I didn't have any
real inclination to learn it, so my motivation has dropped considerably. I might try to
learn some more words, like food and directions, but my interest has definitely waned.

On the other hand, I've been thinking about adding either Esperanto or Spanish. I read
a book about Esperanto a few years ago, and I thought it was neat. Spanish would be
useful in my future travels, as I'd love to visit South America and Spain. I'll keep
thinking about those, I might choose one for my birthday and start studying in the
summer.

Chris13
Groupie
FinlandRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 3811 days ago

53 posts - 64 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Swedish, Finnish

Message 43 of 63
14 January 2014 at 1:04pm | IP Logged 
Ten words our of forty-five minutes worth of programme might be a lot better than you realise. I don't watch hockey for long but sometimes pass it when flicking through the channels. I remember doing so once only to be in shock by how fast the commentator actually spoke. So, yeah, depending on who was commentating that could have actually been a pretty big accomplishment! Keep up the good work :)

Also, sisään means "in/inside" from my understanding.

I'm not sure if you're fine with numbers now or not, but it basically breaks down as this;
1-10 (yksi, kaksi, kolme, neljä, viisi, kuusi, etc.)
11 - 19 ( You add "toista" - yksitoista, kolmetoista, neljätoista, etc"
20 - 29 )You add kymmentä kaksikymmentäyksi. kaksikymmentäkaksi, kaksikymmentäkolme
30 kolmekymmentä (kolmekymmentäyksi, kolmekymmentäkaksi, etc.)
40 neljäkymmentä

This was a bit rushed as I have to leave 10 minutes ago. I hope it helped a little. Onnea!

milesaway
Triglot
Russian Federation
Joined 4091 days ago

134 posts - 181 votes 

Message 44 of 63
14 January 2014 at 7:22pm | IP Logged 
Finished Ледяной дракон which brings me up to:

1120/20000

I have read 5 pages of Алмазная принцесса, which is a mystery, and according to the
book cover, it should be a funny mystery.

I know my numbers in Finnish, however I get lost when they are spoken at warp speed, as
they were by the announcer. I got the kaksikymmentä part no problem, but my brain
fizzled when trying to get the last part. So, that's a work in progress. Thanks for the
encouragement. I had forgotten how demoralizing it could be to watch something at
native speed.

Edited by milesaway on 14 January 2014 at 7:25pm

milesaway
Triglot
Russian Federation
Joined 4091 days ago

134 posts - 181 votes 

Message 45 of 63
19 January 2014 at 7:51pm | IP Logged 
Finished Алмазная принцесса.

1426/20000 I believe is the current total.

I went to the store last week and got some study materials for Russian. They are as
follows:

Тесты, тесты, тесты... (Второй сертификационный уровень)
Тесты, тесты, тесты... (Третий сертификационный уровень)
Учебно-трнировочные тесты по русскому языку как иностранному B2-C1: Чтение
Учебно-трнировочные тесты по русскому языку как иностранному B2-C1: Письмо
Учебно-трнировочные тесты по русскому языку как иностранному B2-C1: Грамматика. Лексика
Учебно-трнировочные тесты по русскому языку как иностранному B2-C1: Аудирование.
Говорение
Чистая Грамматика

As you can tell, most of the books are aimed at exams, except for the last one, which
should help me iron out the grammar kinks.

This was a good week for me. I've noticed a difference in my reading speed and
comprehension. I'm still aiming for 2000 pages for January, so I've still got a ways to
go, but I think it's possible.

I'm currently reading about 40 pages in an hour. I'd like to get that a little bit
higher by the end of the year, although I do realize that there is a limit as to how
much I can read in an hour.

So, that's how mu January is going. Fairly well I'd say, although my Finnish hasn't
really gotten off the ground yet. As soon as I finish the Tadoku challenge, I plan on
starting at least 1 Assimil lesson a day. And I think I've given up on Icelandic.

milesaway
Triglot
Russian Federation
Joined 4091 days ago

134 posts - 181 votes 

Message 46 of 63
26 January 2014 at 12:35pm | IP Logged 
I finished Затаив дыхание.

(edited to add) I read about 50 pages of Город под вулканом before I realized that it
was the second book in a trilogy, and not an overly interesting one at that, so I put
it aside. I might come back to it later, but for now, it will stay on the shelf.

Also read my Чебурашка book. Now reading through Карлсон, который живёт на крыше and
Путешествия Гулливера. I took out 3 books from the library, a Dean Koontz, Ангелы-
Хранители (Watchers), Голодные игры (The Hunger Games, Suzanne Collins) and Гора
дракона (Mount Dragon, Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child).

According to the Tadoku Bot, my book page total far (not including Gulliver's Travels
and Karlson) is 1878.

I've been focused much more on reading this month, and I have noticed a big difference
in the amount of words that I understand in speech and on the page. There are many
words that used to bug me, because I would see them, look them up, and then promptly
forget them, but since I've been reading so much, a lot of them have solidified in my
head.

I'll write this down here, and hopefully that will help me follow it.
-I'd like to dedicate at least 1 hour a day to reading in Russian, not including my
commute.
-5-15 minutes on Memrise every day, for Finnish and Russian. Likely in the morning.
-20-40 minutes a day of Finnish. This can be in Assimil, Finnish for Foreigners, FSI,
Suomen Mestari, whatever.

The reading should not be a problem. I'm a bookworm by nature, I grew up reading books
in English and in French, so doing Russian now hasn't been that big of a deal. I should
be able to do Memrise without much difficulty. If I can get in even 20 minutes of
Finnish a day, I think I'll be able to get past that initial block that I seem to have.
Hopefully anyway. I have faith that 2014 will see me making progress and pushing my
language skills even further.

Edited by milesaway on 26 January 2014 at 12:38pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

renaissancemedi
Bilingual Triglot
Greece
Joined 4118 days ago

941 posts - 1309 votes 
Speaks: Greek*, Ancient Greek*, EnglishC2
Studies: French, Russian, Turkish, Modern Hebrew

Message 47 of 63
26 January 2014 at 1:49pm | IP Logged 
Very impressive, good work!

milesaway
Triglot
Russian Federation
Joined 4091 days ago

134 posts - 181 votes 

Message 48 of 63
26 January 2014 at 7:14pm | IP Logged 
Thanks! I'm always impressed reading your log. I have a hard time trying to manage 1
language, never mind additional ones.

This discussion contains 63 messages over 8 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 57 8  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version