Groupie
Australia
Joined 4129 days ago

42 posts - 58 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese
Studies: Finnish

Message 1 of 41
16 January 2013 at 4:31pm | IP Logged 
This is my Finnish progress log of my Finnish in 2013.

First entry:

As of 1st January 2013:

I've finished (started last year) working through the textbook Finnish for Foreigners (no audio). I wrote out all the main grammar points and any expressions I liked or that were new to me from the written dialogues. I wrote out all the vocabulary for each chapter.

I also finished working through the Finnish for Foreigners Exercises (no audio). I did every drill that had an answer key. I didn't do any of the conversation or writing.

I've started working through FSI Finnish. I have finished the Intro and Unit 1 in the textbook and Unit 1 in the workbook including the pronunciation drills. I've almost finished Unit 2 in the textbook. I just need to finish writing out the grammar points. I'm glad that I am already familiar with some basics of Finnish grammar before having started FSI Finnish.

I've shadowed the first lesson of Linguaphone Finnish dialogues. The speaker enunciates every sound perfectly, slowly and clearly. I will shadow this.

I've shadowed and made notes on the first 3 lessons of Kuulostaa Hyvältä. The voices are clear and memorable. I plan to go over them to get them "in my head"

I've been learning some of the verbs from Harjoitus tekee mestarin 1 drill book. Unfortunately it is still much too difficult for me. I can't decide whether I should wait for it to get easier, or work to just plough through it, thereby making it easier. I feel I lack the vocabulary to work through it.

Last year I translated the first few pages of the audiobook and novel Ei Kiitos. Lots of short sentences. Anna-Leena Härkönen has an amazing, lively voice for shadowing, which I have tried to do briefly in the past. I plan to translate and listen/shadow more of this book after I have a few more chapters of FSI and Linguaphone under my belt.

My main goals for 2013:
* Finish FSI.
* Read along with the audio to as many novels as possible perhaps using the RL method and some translating.
* Finish shadowing Kuulostaa Hyvältä.
* Finish Harjoitus tekee mestarin 1 and have most of the vocabulary in it under my belt.
* Perhaps start HTM2.
* More movies, more books, more music, more newspapers.
* Increase my passive and active vocabulary particularly through exposure, not just learning a word I've never seen used. Increasing my vocab is a major goal.
* Improve my listening and speaking.
* Perhaps return to Anki either for single word or sentences or both.
* I want to have reached 1000 hours of Finnish study for the year of 2013.

ETA: I have entered TAC 2013 as well as TEAM *jäŋe /*ledús.

Edited by VanamoVenlo on 18 July 2013 at 10:23am

2 persons have voted this message useful

VanamoVenlo
Diglot
Groupie
Australia
Joined 4129 days ago

42 posts - 58 votes 

Message 2 of 41
18 January 2013 at 3:16pm | IP Logged 
Mistakes in my learning from 2012 that I do not want to repeat this year:

1. All Anki all the time.

I went through a grammar book and put all the sentences (every single one) into Anki without reading any of the grammar book. I ended up with 2000+ cards between the grammar book and some others I picked up here and there and I just did lots of Anki. I learned A LOT and ABSOLUTELY NOTHING at the same time. It increased my comprehension skills dramatically beyond my actual reading ability. The result is that I'm still an A level beginner, but easily bored because I could already comprehend or get a solid enough idea of the majority of beginner, a fair amount of intermediate and even some advanced learning materials. It meant and still means that I feel frustrated having to deal with beginners materials when in reality just because I comprehend it, I definitely don't know it and I certainly couldn't produce it.

I probably won't be going back to flashcards until I'm ready.

Yesterday's progress:

1. I finished FSI Unit 2 of the textbook (reading and writing out the grammar points and doing the drills) and finished FSI Unit 2 of the workbook. I then went through and listened again to the Unit 2 textbook dialogues and to the structures for repetition and shadowed them. FSI is slowly starting to include some good grammar explanations and drills that Finnish for Foreigners didn't focus on or explain. I'm actually starting to get the hang of this course even if the voices continue to be quite joyless. I guess it's to be expected.

2. I again shadowed lessons 2-3 of Kuulostaa hyvältä and went through lesson 4 for the first time. I listened, made notes on vocab, wrote the dialogue out and then shadowed it and lesson 3 a few more times. This series is fun even if I really do not enjoy working with dialogues.

3. Shadowed lesson 1 of Linguaphone again a couple of times and shadowed lesson 2 for the first time. I went through it about 10 times listening, reading and shadowing. I also did the first lesson (lesson 2) of the audio drills twice. Apart from that I also went through the two pronunciation drills each twice since I'd never done those before. The first time listening only and the second time with the script.

Hyvin menee has some nice sounding dialogues so I might get round to them at some point after making some progress through Linguaphone.

Weekend's goals (at a minimum):
- Look at Harjoitus tekee mestarin and see if I can't do one of the next little drills.
- Go over Kuulostaa hyvältä dialogues that I've shadowed and start the next one. Do the same for Linguaphone.
- Do the consonant gradation drills in the FSI workbook that was listed as homework at the end of Unit 2.
- Complete Unit 3 of the FSI textbook and perhaps even make a start on Unit 3 workbook.
- Shadow some of novel Ei kiitos. Maybe the first 2-3 pages. Maybe also translate a little more of it.

Edited by VanamoVenlo on 18 July 2013 at 10:24am

3 persons have voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6384 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 3 of 41
18 January 2013 at 7:04pm | IP Logged 
Good luck with the best language in the world!
ages ago I collected my favourite Finnish resources here: http://how-to-learn-any-language.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?T ID=4594 some no longer work though.
5 persons have voted this message useful

VanamoVenlo
Diglot
Groupie
Australia
Joined 4129 days ago

42 posts - 58 votes 

Message 4 of 41
20 January 2013 at 11:41am | IP Logged 
Thank you! Good wishes from someone with advanced fluency in Finnish is perfect encouragement!

Thank you for that link, there seems to be a few things there I haven't seen before.
1 person has voted this message useful

VanamoVenlo
Diglot
Groupie
Australia
Joined 4129 days ago

42 posts - 58 votes 

Message 5 of 41
20 January 2013 at 1:01pm | IP Logged 
Weekend progress:
1. I did one exercise in HTM1.
2. Went over previously shadowed Kuulostaa hyvältä dialogues 3-4 (I did not start a new one)
3. I went over previously shadowed Linguaphone dialogues 1-2 (I did not start a new one)
4. Did a quick attempt at shadowing Ei kiitos chapter 1 (2 pages worth)
5. I revised and finished working through FSI chapter 3. I finished listening to the audio, but did not finish copying down the grammar notes at the end. I also did not start chapter 3 of the workbook.
6. I did 22 pages of consonant gradation drills in the FSI workbook.
7. Watched Kuutamolla and Broidit to relax (English subs, no note taking)

Next week's goals:
- Finish unit 3 and 4 of FSI including workbook.
- Finish consonant gradation drills up to: page 40
- Finish Kuulostaa Hyvältä 1-7
- Finish Linguaphone 1-8
- Read 5 pages of a simple novel/audio book.
- Do 1 more exercise in HTM1.
- Memorise words from my vocab book (filled with vocab from FSI units 1-3, Linguaphone1-2, Kuulostaa Hyvältä 1-4)
- Watch Kuutamolla with Finnish subs.

I'm going to try and update this log once a week with my weekly progress and my goals for the next week.

Edited by VanamoVenlo on 20 January 2013 at 1:02pm

VanamoVenlo
Diglot
Groupie
Australia
Joined 4129 days ago

42 posts - 58 votes 

Message 6 of 41
24 January 2013 at 1:56pm | IP Logged 
Today I tried to read and listen along to Ella kids novel by Timo Parvela. After listening along to the beautiful enunciation of Anna-Leena Härkönen from Ei kiitos I found myself not quite ready for this more natural kind of reading where the words are mumbled, word endings are sentence endings aren't said and some of the letters aren't quite pronounced. I'm not ready to deal with this level of audio just yet. I'll come back to this when I'm more comfortable in listening.

I'm very behind on my goals for this week thanks to some life stuff.

What I have done so far:
- Finished FSI unit 3 text and workbook.
- Reviewed the audio dialogues in FSI unit 3.
- Finished all consonant gradation drills
- Read 1 chapter of kids novel Ella ja Äf and followed along with the audio book recording twice.
- Finished chapters 1 and 2 of Ei Kiitos and listened along to the audio recording.
- Finished one exercise in HTM1 (Harjoitus tekee mestarin1)
- Watched Kuutamolla with Finnish subs.

Amended goals for the rest of this week:
- Start FSI unit 4 textbook
- Review Kuulostaa hyvältä and do at least one more lesson.
- Finish all word type drills from the workbook (50 pages worth)

Edited by VanamoVenlo on 18 July 2013 at 10:25am

VanamoVenlo
Diglot
Groupie
Australia
Joined 4129 days ago

42 posts - 58 votes 

Message 7 of 41
12 February 2013 at 2:29am | IP Logged 
I deleted a couple of posts trying to edit.

Edited by VanamoVenlo on 18 July 2013 at 10:42am

VanamoVenlo
Diglot
Groupie
Australia
Joined 4129 days ago

42 posts - 58 votes 

Message 8 of 41
12 February 2013 at 2:31am | IP Logged 
My Finnish study has been going slightly less well this month, but I was prepared for it.

I tried to stop and revise the FSI units that I had completed, but I've decided to stick with my original plan to fast forward (at a reasonable pace) through FSI with limited revising.

So my plan of action at the moment is to work through FSI as my main text. I'll also do some reading along to audio books. I may even consider working through parts of HTM1. I'm not sure if I'll do this while I'm doing FSI or after I've finished it. I will see how it goes.

I want to aim for 1000 hours of Finnish this year because I think that's a good baseline for the language. I want to reach a least an A2+. I'm more concerned with getting as many hours as possible rather than focusing on a level, but I do want to be progressing towards something.

I'm still working through Ei kiitos if only because I continue to love with Anna-Leena Härkönen's voice and the short simple sentences.

Edited by VanamoVenlo on 18 July 2013 at 10:48am

This discussion contains 41 messages over 6 pages: 2 3 4 5 6  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version