Diglot
United States
Joined 4461 days ago

34 posts - 72 votes 
Speaks: English*, Urdu
Studies: Italian, Finnish

Message 33 of 41
13 June 2013 at 3:09pm | IP Logged 
@Vanamo.... Well that's great. Can you please tell me the names of all the children's books that you are using. Also, the podcasts that you are listening to, are these the sames ones from YLE? If not, could you please provide a link to the podcats that you're listening to?

As far as films are concerned, i got my hands on Simoa. I do not know if you've heard of that movie or not but its Finnish. I will try to work with one movie at a time. I just wish there were more books that taught spoken Finnish besides Kato Hei.

I actually will be going to Helsinki to learn Finnish from there as well... So i am trying to learn as much as I can from now only. Hopefully my learning will accelerate since there will be native speakers I could ask for help but I have heard that Finns don't speak to anyone and are very reserved. Is that actually true?
1 person has voted this message useful

VanamoVenlo
Diglot
Groupie
Australia
Joined 4102 days ago

42 posts - 58 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese
Studies: Finnish

Message 34 of 41
13 June 2013 at 4:23pm | IP Logged 
@Boomerang

The children's books that I am reading are the "Ella" series of novels by Timo Parvela. The first in the series is Ella ja kaverit 1.

I do know of 3 simoa. One film at a time sounds like a good approach as well.

Podcasts that I'm listening to are a bunch of ones from the YLE areena. There are many to choose from, apart from the news, depending on your interests such as history, health, science, sport, kids, music and culture.
http://areena.yle.fi/radio/kaikki

Finns come in all sorts like everywhere. Many are talkative, many are not. :) And wonderful that you will study in Helsinki. Keep us informed of your Finnish progress too!

Edited by VanamoVenlo on 19 June 2013 at 11:57am

Chung
Diglot
Joined 6916 days ago

4228 posts - 8259 votes 
20 sounds
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Polish, Slovak, Uzbek, Turkish, Korean, Finnish

Message 35 of 41
13 June 2013 at 8:23pm | IP Logged 
Boomerang3378 wrote:
@Vanamo.... Well that's great. Can you please tell me the names of all the children's books that you are using. Also, the podcasts that you are listening to, are these the sames ones from YLE? If not, could you please provide a link to the podcats that you're listening to?

As far as films are concerned, i got my hands on Simoa. I do not know if you've heard of that movie or not but its Finnish. I will try to work with one movie at a time. I just wish there were more books that taught spoken Finnish besides Kato Hei.

You can also use FSI Conversational Finnish to begin getting a passive understanding of spoken Finnish. All of the dialogues in the textbook are divided into sections for oral repetition and each of these sections is placed beside a version in colloquial Finnish that's also recorded for you to train your ear in that register.

For example, here's the first part of the first dialogue in Unit 3. The sentences in standard Finnish for you to repeat are on the left column while the colloquial versions are in the column in the middle. The standard and colloquial versions are in the audio and so you can do shadowing.

Another possibility to learn some spoken Finnish is to use Abondolo's "Colloquial Finnish" since it does live up to its title. However I'd use it for no more than shadowing or some structured exposure to colloquial Finnish. I would not use it to learn about grammar because Abondolo explains it idiosyncratically and it's inconsistent with the convention or reasoning used by other reference material or Finnish dictionaries which will become obvious when you want clarification or a second opinion on a feature of Finnish grammar.

Outside courses, you can always refine your ability in spoken Finnish by chatting on forums as suggested by Serpent as well as watch Finnish sitcoms (with subtitles or transcripts if possible) or read comic strips to see colloquial forms in use (e.g. Viivi ja Wagner, Kiroileva siili - this latter one isn't all that funny but I find it helpful as a learner because the hedgehogs' speech bubbles are often in informal language (including current slang that's typical of Helsinki))

Overall though, I'd recommend that you focus first on standard Finnish to get your head around grammar and build up a stock of vocabulary, and go after informal Finnish a little bit later.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Boomerang3378
Diglot
United States
Joined 4461 days ago

34 posts - 72 votes 

Message 36 of 41
14 June 2013 at 2:45pm | IP Logged 
@Chung: Thank you for the useful information. I am using FSI Finnish but I didn't know that the spoken Finnish used in that would be beneficial. But I would use it to get my ear attuned to what it sounds like. I will also get my hands on Colloquial Finnish now that you mentioned it.

Thank you for the comics. They will be very helpful. Ok so I will concentrate on standard Finnish first but at the same time I will also try and do some spoken Finnish shadowing. Thanks again for the feedback.

VanamoVenlo
Diglot
Groupie
Australia
Joined 4102 days ago

42 posts - 58 votes 

Message 37 of 41
19 June 2013 at 11:55am | IP Logged 
If you like comic strips for casual speech then apart from Chung's recommendations I really like this site:
http://nyt.fi/category/sarjakuvat/

My hours count for May: 50.

I haven't had much to update about in the past 4 weeks because I put the breaks on my coursebook studies and all forms of reading and switched to listening-only.

Edited by VanamoVenlo on 18 July 2013 at 6:31am

VanamoVenlo
Diglot
Groupie
Australia
Joined 4102 days ago

42 posts - 58 votes 

Message 38 of 41
20 June 2013 at 1:54pm | IP Logged 
I have some mini goals over the next couple of months:
1. Finish HTM1.
2. Finish working through my vocab list and putting some of those words into Anki.

I have over 4000 entries between 9 separate decks on Anki. Four decks are sentence decks with almost 2700 entries between them. The remaining 2000+ cards are vocab spread over five decks. I'm considering going through the sentence decks and doing some large scale deletions and I might try to see if deletions are less effort on my phone than on Anki desktop. Other than these deletions and my goal to add more vocab, Anki's kind of on hold.

Boomerang3378
Diglot
United States
Joined 4461 days ago

34 posts - 72 votes 

Message 39 of 41
24 June 2013 at 3:43pm | IP Logged 
Is it okay if you could share your decks with me?

VanamoVenlo
Diglot
Groupie
Australia
Joined 4102 days ago

42 posts - 58 votes 

Message 40 of 41
25 June 2013 at 3:10pm | IP Logged 
Boomerang, thanks for asking, but I probably won't share my decks right now. They're all a work in progress at the moment. My decks are similar to the kinds of shared decks that you can get from Anki so if you haven't tried those that could be a good place to start.

-

HTM1:
As per my mini-goal I have been working on some more Harjoitus tekee mestarin 1. It doesn't seem like anyone is really talking about this book. Maybe that's because it's just a collection of exercises.

FSI:
I got a bit of FSI done while procrastinating HTM1. I worked through the textbook dialogues and reviewed the structural notes.

Supisuomea:
I finished watching this series of Finnish language learning videos. There's 12 episodes at 30 minutes each. The videos are pretty watchable, easy to follow, and well-presented.

This reminds me that I haven't finished working through the Kuulostaa hyvältä videos which are listed as one of my main goals for this year.

Anki:
I have not made any progress on adding my vocab list into Anki because I somehow lost all of my media. I ended up spending a lot of time reentering the images and I didn't manage to finish.

Edited by VanamoVenlo on 18 July 2013 at 6:03am

This discussion contains 41 messages over 6 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 46  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version