Triglot
Poland
Joined 4433 days ago

518 posts - 636 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, EnglishB2, Spanish
Studies: German, Sign Language, Tok Pisin, Arabic (Yemeni), Old English

Message 73 of 152
08 December 2013 at 12:39pm | IP Logged 
Not much happened in the last few weeks, mostly due to the fact I can't stay and chat with the Yemenis after class because I have to hurry in order not to miss the bus.

Also, a shout-out to other Team Alef members: who's continuing next year? I certainly am!
1 person has voted this message useful

Zireael
Triglot
Poland
Joined 4433 days ago

518 posts - 636 votes 

Message 74 of 152
12 December 2013 at 10:08am | IP Logged 
Managed to stay after class Tuesday for a few minutes and asked Ashraf how to say 'chapter' in Arabic.

Lots of ha-hemming followed, and finally he decided on فصيل الكيتاب fasil al-kitaab.

Andrew C
Diglot
United Kingdom
naturalarabic.com
Joined 4972 days ago

205 posts - 350 votes 
Speaks: English*, Arabic (Written)

Message 75 of 152
12 December 2013 at 3:18pm | IP Logged 
It should be: فصل الكتاب
4 persons have voted this message useful

Zireael
Triglot
Poland
Joined 4433 days ago

518 posts - 636 votes 

Message 76 of 152
21 December 2013 at 6:51pm | IP Logged 
I wrote Sarah a few days ago, saying I miss her and that I don't know how to write it in Arabic. So here it is.
In all probability, this is the last entry this year.

New phrase
Ana ushtaq laki   انا اشتاق لك I miss you
Kul 'am wa antum bekheir كل عام و أنتم بخير Happy new year!

Zireael
Triglot
Poland
Joined 4433 days ago

518 posts - 636 votes 

Message 77 of 152
30 December 2013 at 2:08pm | IP Logged 
End of year 2013 summary

Started in January from scratch (affectionately known as "level A0").

To recap, the goals were:
Quote:
Goals: learn as much Arabic as possible before the end of the university year (late June), hopefully be able to read a short text by this time.
Be able to converse freely in written form by the end of the year.

Late June was the cut-off date due to the university year ending and Sarah (my Yemeni friend and tutor) returning to Yemen.
From January to early July (with some upheavals due to cancelled courses and classes), I had a lesson a week with her, every Thursday before my Spanish class at university.
There were 16 lessons altogether.
Starting from July, any contact with the language was my own effort, whether it was chatting on FB or talking to the new Yemeni students at university, and no classes were involved.

Judging by the reactions of my Arabic friends to my comments on FB, I've achieved the goal of being able to converse in the written form - as in, my questions get understood and replied to (in English, Arabic script or in Arabizi I guess depending on the person's mood). Also, thanks to the fact that the written form is purely MSA, it does not matter whether the friend in question is Tunisian or Yemeni.

I am also able to ask a question or two in person, orally, and get understood, although that involves repeating myself very often, and 90% of cases I get the answer in English.

As a funny aside, the following conversation took place a lot since October:
- Ma ismuka/i?
- Sorry?
- Ma ismuka/i?
- Sorry?
- Ma ismuka/i? *slowly and clearly*
*wide open shocked eyes as the realization that this crippled Polish girl speaks Arabic*
*finally replies to the question that was asked*

Zireael
Triglot
Poland
Joined 4433 days ago

518 posts - 636 votes 

Message 78 of 152
08 January 2014 at 7:42pm | IP Logged 
Newsflash! My Tunisian friend, Anis Sadah, is now the Tunisian ambassador of the Arab Council for Youth /المجاس العربي للشان/

Here's my summary:
Anis Sadah has been nominated as an ambassador of the Arab Council for Youth in Tunisia on the 2nd January 2014.
The entire post in Arabic is a list of Anis's accomplishments in various organizations and projects in various countries (Tunisia, Lebanon, Malta, Britain, France). They even mention the fact that Anis was part of an exchange in Poland.

Here's the Arabic post:

أنيس سعده سفيراً للمجلس العربي للشباب في تونس

أنه في يوم الخميس الموافق 2 يناير 2014م وبناءاً على إقتراح الأستاذ / محمد أعبيدي (سفير المجلس في موريتانيا وعضو الأمانة العامة للمجلس ) صدر قرار الأمانة العامة للمجلس العربي للشباب بتعيين الناشط الشبابي والحقوقي / أنيس سعده سفيراً للمجلس العربي للشباب في تونس , وقد تم تعيينه بناء على خبرته الشبابية والحقوقية

الأستاذ أنيس سعده حاصل على شهادات في كلاً من ( التربية على المواطنة و التّنوع الثقافي " NDU لبنان - شهادة في " التربية الشّاملة : البعد الثقافي " ( هولندا TNU ) - إجازة في إدارة الاعمال ( تونس ) - مدرّب في التنمية البشرية معتمد من الاكاديمية الدولية للتدريب و الاستشارات (بريطانيا) و المجلس العالمي للتدريس و التدريب و الكوتشينق ( أمريكا ) - شهادة " Youth pass" للتدريب
2005-2007 : شهادة ختم الدروس من المعهد الاعلى لتكوين المعلمين ( تونس ) - شهادة الباكالوريا ( علوم تجريبية )
وحاصل على عدد من الخبرات المهنية منها : ( ممثّل تسويق دولي لشركة " « Club Shop Rewards - رئيس جمعية صوت الطفل الريفي ) كما شارك في عدد من المؤتمرات والفعاليات الدولية منها : المؤتمر الاقليمي الاول للتربية على المواطنة و التنوع الثقافي ( لبنان )- لقاء تحضيري لمشروع تبادل شبابي ( بريطانيا )- منتدى الشباب " مواطنون من أجل المتوسّط " ( تونس ) - قائد لمشروع تبادل شبابي ( بولندا ) - دورة تدريبية " صياغة المشاريع " ( تونس ) - قائد ملتقي تدريبي " شباب من أجل التغيير " ( مالطا ) - مؤتمر الشباب الاوروبي " الاتحاد الاوروبي : ما هي النهاية " ( فرنسا ) - ملتقى حوار جنوب شمال المتوسّط ( تونس ) - ملتقى " لنتعاون في منطقة المتوسّط " ( لاتفيا ) - المنتدى التونسي – الفرنسي للمجتمع المدني ( تونس ) - لقاء جهوي " التعاون الاوروبي في تونس " ( قابس )- دورة تدريبية برنامج الشباب الاورومتوسطي ( سوسة )- ملتقى " بحرنا المتوسط 3 " ( تركيا ) - دورة تدريبية " التعاون الدولي و التمويل الخارجي " ( تونس)

Zireael
Triglot
Poland
Joined 4433 days ago

518 posts - 636 votes 

Message 79 of 152
13 January 2014 at 2:35pm | IP Logged 
Horrendously busy with my MA right now (I've got to write 20 pages of literature review due end of January).

Picked up a new game on FB - Strangelings - a breeding pet game. I used to play a few others but either they required too much time investment (feeding grooming whatever) or I would have to abandon some of my collection (Order of the Griffin).
So as my collection grew, and the game doesn't have the "offspring" feature yet (the family tree only shows the current pet's dam and sire), I thought I could give them Arabic names.

At least I dug up my notes and therefore I have strangelings named Akhdar (obviously, he's green), Azraq (blue) or Wardi (can you guess what her color is?). There's two named Zahraa because their patterns and coloring remind me of flowers and a Nimr because he has the leopard pattern and almost perfect colors.
The two I like the most are named Nadira and Qamar, mother and son. What do you think their color scheme is?

New words
Al-thawra الثورة revolution
Maidan ميدان square

Wardi وردي pink

Zireael
Triglot
Poland
Joined 4433 days ago

518 posts - 636 votes 

Message 80 of 152
19 January 2014 at 9:15pm | IP Logged 
Found Polandball thanks to a friend of mine and one of the strips had Arabic writing in it. (Not linking because I can't into Middle East politics)

New words
Mayyat ميت dead

Edited by Zireael on 20 January 2014 at 2:46pm

This discussion contains 152 messages over 19 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version