Diglot
Sweden
Joined 4138 days ago

22 posts - 29 votes
Speaks: Swedish*, EnglishC1
Studies: German

Message 1 of 14
22 January 2013 at 2:35am | IP Logged 
I'm well aware of the tendency in both English and Swedish to, incorrectly, use the term America when meaning US.
However, this week I've noticed the use of Amerika in the TV show Extr@, Pimsleur and FSI. It makes me
wonder... Is Amerika the accepted and preferred term in Germany?
1 person has voted this message useful

geoffw
Triglot
United States
Joined 4499 days ago

1134 posts - 1865 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Yiddish
Studies: Modern Hebrew, French, Dutch, Italian, Russian

Message 2 of 14
22 January 2013 at 2:55am | IP Logged 
Perhaps you could explain what you mean by "America" being "incorrect?"

iguanamon
Pentaglot
Virgin Islands
Speaks: Ladino
Joined 5073 days ago

2237 posts - 6731 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Portuguese, Haitian Creole, Creole (French)

Message 3 of 14
22 January 2013 at 3:54am | IP Logged 
In Spanish and Portuguese, the word "America" refers to the continent. Students throughout Latin America are taught that the Americas are really just one big continent from Tierra del Fuego to Alaska. As such, there are many countries besides the USA in America. Brazilians, Mexicans, Guatemalans, Chileans, and Colombians are all Americans because they live on the continent of America. Cuba has often referred to itself as a "territorio libre en América"- "free territory in America". Words in Spanish dictionaries often have the abbreviation "am" to refer to words of American origin- and they are not talking about the US.

As a US citizen, it can be somewhat problematic to express one's nationality in either Spanish or Portuguese. A common term is "estadounidense" or "norteamericano". The first is unwieldy and not often used in informal speech. It can also be confused with the official name for Mexico- "Los Estados Unidos de México". The second term, "North American" can also mean Canadian, Mexican, Honduran etc. What's a poor gringo to do!

US Americans would argue that their country is the only one to have the word "America" in it's name. When the country was a British colony, the British referred to the inhabitants as "Americans" in English. The name stuck amongst the colonists and the colonial masters. I'm not going to argue this point. Other nations located in the Americas feel themselves to be Americans too, just not US citizens. These other citizens of the Americas believe they have every bit as much legitimate right to the name "American" as citizens of the US do. So, in this sense, referring to citizens of the US as Americans is excluding the other populations of the other countries located on the American continent from Dawson City to Ushuaia.

Somehow, I doubt that the Germans, most other Europeans or other countries outside the Americas (excluding Spain and Portugal) make this distinction when referring to US citizens as Americans and to the other countries' citizens by their respective nationalities.

Edited by iguanamon on 22 January 2013 at 4:00am

2 persons have voted this message useful

geoffw
Triglot
United States
Joined 4499 days ago

1134 posts - 1865 votes 

Message 4 of 14
22 January 2013 at 4:04am | IP Logged 
Yes, I'm aware that Spanish makes that distinction...but that's not the same as saying that it's "incorrect" in
American English. When the President delivers the State of the Union Address to both houses of Congress, the
Supreme Court and the Cabinet, it's well-established custom for him to address the public as "My Fellow
Americans." It's probably not possible to find a more convincing proof that a usage is accepted as linguistically
correct and part of the most formal register than for it to be customary and required in this kind of hyper-formal
situation for the highest-status member of the society.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Astrophel
Tetraglot
United States
Joined 5543 days ago

157 posts - 345 votes 
Speaks: English*, Latin, German, Spanish
Studies: Russian, Cantonese, Polish, Sanskrit, Cherokee

Message 5 of 14
22 January 2013 at 4:12am | IP Logged 
I was always taught to call myself "estadounidense". In informal speech, what is the best response to
say you're from the United States?

geoffw
Triglot
United States
Joined 4499 days ago

1134 posts - 1865 votes 

Message 6 of 14
22 January 2013 at 4:19am | IP Logged 
Astrophel wrote:
In informal speech, what is the best response to say you're from the United States?

I think that depends what language you're speaking, to whom you're speaking, and where you are when you're
speaking it, doesn't it?

Luso
Hexaglot
Portugal
Joined 5872 days ago

819 posts - 1812 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, French, EnglishC2, GermanB1, Italian, Spanish
Studies: Sanskrit, Arabic (classical)

Message 7 of 14
22 January 2013 at 4:56am | IP Logged 
In Portugal, when you say American, you always mean a citizen of the United States. When you want to refer to the other Americans (from Canada to the "Tierra del Fuego") you normally specify the nationality. You know they also are Americans stricto sensu, though.

Once a friend from Argentina told me "I'm also American, an American from South America". I immediately agreed.

Sometimes, the (spoken) media refer to the US as "norte-americanos", which is incorrect, because Canadians and Mexicans are also North Americans. Maybe that's why I've never seen it in writing.

Edited by Luso on 22 January 2013 at 4:57am

Chung
Diglot
Joined 6967 days ago

4228 posts - 8259 votes 
20 sounds
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Polish, Slovak, Uzbek, Turkish, Korean, Finnish

Message 8 of 14
22 January 2013 at 5:35am | IP Logged 
Stefan wrote:
I'm well aware of the tendency in both English and Swedish to, incorrectly, use the term America when meaning US.
However, this week I've noticed the use of Amerika in the TV show Extr@, Pimsleur and FSI. It makes me
wonder... Is Amerika the accepted and preferred term in Germany?

At least for one Dane, this (mis)use of "America" lends itself to Sweden's introductory line and the slight misunderstanding.

On February 2, 2010, Humon in “Scandinavia and the World” wrote:

_____

Inspired by this drawing link by link.

South America is not North America’s invisible friend here. The Scandinavian boys just can't see him, just like North America can't see Denmark.

Few people in America know what Denmark is and surprisingly many sees Norway as the same thing as Sweden, which sounds ridicules to us over here, but I can guarantee you that if you asked random people on the streets of Scandinavia what all that land underneath America is, too many would either say “I don’t know” “Isn’t it all America?” or “Mexico?”. Or they would know it was South America, but have no idea what the countries within it was called. We know şђ¡ţ about South America.

And I put a link on the comic this time as many people have requested.

This discussion contains 14 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version