Finland
Joined 4370 days ago

298 posts - 470 votes 
Speaks: Finnish*, English, German, Swedish
Studies: Danish

Message 10 of 14
22 January 2013 at 7:20am | IP Logged 
Stefan wrote:
Is Amerika the accepted and preferred term in Germany?

From what I understand, it's somewhat colloquial but certainly accepted. I'm not sure if I'd go as far as to say it's the preferred term, but I'll leave that for the native speakers. Synonyms include die US, die USA and die Vereinigten Staaten. My hunch is that Amerikaner/Amerikanerin is more common than Amerika.

EDIT:
On second though, US might only appear in compounds. What say the native speakers?

Edited by sans-serif on 22 January 2013 at 7:24am

1 person has voted this message useful

Spinchäeb Ape
Diglot
United States
Joined 4281 days ago

146 posts - 180 votes 
Speaks: English*, German

Message 11 of 14
22 January 2013 at 7:32am | IP Logged 
sans-serif wrote:
Stefan wrote:
Is Amerika the accepted and preferred term in Germany?

From what I understand, it's somewhat colloquial but certainly accepted. I'm not sure if I'd go as far as to say it's the preferred term, but I'll leave that for the native speakers. Synonyms include die US, die USA and die Vereinigten Staaten. My hunch is that Amerikaner/Amerikanerin is more common than Amerika.

That was the impression I got when I lived there.

And the custom here in the US is to call someone from this country and American. It would be awkward to call anyone a United States of American or a United Statesian. Hence, American. I think people are getting very pedantic when they say an American is anyone from North or South America. The founding fathers of the US picked a name for the country that leads to some confusion. To keep thing simple, it make sense to call a person from the US an American, someone from Canada a Canadian, someone from Nicaragua a Nicaraguan. We Americans need that word to get around our awkward name of our country. You can still call someone from anywhere in North America a North American or anyone from the southern continent a South American without any confusion.

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6514 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 12 of 14
22 January 2013 at 10:13am | IP Logged 
In Danish we may also refer to USA as 'Amerika', and if we speak about 'Amerika' without further ado then it is generally USA we mean. And the 'A' in USA does mean "America". But the normal term would be USA, pronounced with Danish letter names.

It is different when it comes to its inhabitants or goods from over there. We don't have a parallel to "estadounidense", so here "amerikaner" is the established word. Americans from any other nation in the Americas are named after their country, which means that the system rarely leads to confusion - even though it strictly speaking is misleading. In Europe the obvious parallel would be the Netherlands/Low countries, which often erroneously are named as "Holland" (with a population of "hollændere" who speak "hollandsk").

As for knowledge about Denmark 'in the States' (another general expression which often used specifically as a reference to the United States of America) I'm not too optimistic. On the other hand some Danes see USA as mainly consisting of New York and California and a prairie somewhere in the middle. We get amerika-amerika-amerika stuffed down our throats like the French feed their foie gras geese, but watching American soaps doesn't necessarily mean that you can pinpoint a location on a map, and I think that some Danes might have problems pointing out places like Nevada or Dallas or Fresno or .. well even the mighty prairie, except that it is somewhere in the middle.

I do however think we know that Mexico is just South of USA, and that South America is a whole continent even farther South.

Edited by Iversen on 22 January 2013 at 10:17am

2 persons have voted this message useful

Ogrim
Heptaglot
France
Joined 4450 days ago

991 posts - 1896 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, English, Spanish, French, Romansh, German, Italian
Studies: Russian, Catalan, Latin, Greek, Romanian

Message 13 of 14
22 January 2013 at 10:43am | IP Logged 
I think that in Germany, as in Scandinavia, Amerika is synonymous with USA. If in German you talk about "amerikanische Filme", you basically refer to the US film industry. Nobody will think you include Mexican or Brazilian cinema in this.

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4518 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 14 of 14
22 January 2013 at 11:26am | IP Logged 
Amerika and VS (Verenigde Staten) here. Amerikaans refers to the US exclusively. If you
wanted to say Latin or South American you would specify nationality or continent;
Latijns-Amerika, Zuid-Amerika, Argentijns, Boliviaans, Peruaans, Braziliaans,
Venezolaans, etc.

This discussion contains 14 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version