United States
one1ups.blogspoRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4324 days ago

17 posts - 20 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: Japanese, Korean, Spanish

Message 1 of 10
22 January 2013 at 5:08am | IP Logged 
I've been studying Japanese for almost three years starting in March. My reading and writing is at intermediate or semi-advance level, but my listening and speaking skill is still pretty weak. I want to be able to be at an advance level for all 4 skills at the end of this year.
I will train by listening more to Japanese audio from language books, watching movies/tv shows/anime when I am more advance, doing more reading from books and manga, talking more to Japanese friends, and continue writing to penpals and sometime on lang-8.

1 person has voted this message useful

Roycet
United States
Joined 4324 days ago

17 posts - 20 votes

Message 2 of 10
25 January 2013 at 6:17am | IP Logged 
Sorry, I haven't post none of my studying time for the last 4 days. I'm just not in the habit of writing my studying time :p I've been doing more speaking than what I usually do. I spoke Monday and Thursday and the conversation was mostly in English, but Thursday I spoke more Japanese than Monday. I would say my speaking is getting slightly better. I'm able to hear more than I did in the past because of the massive amount of listening to Japanese audio. I would say from Monday to Thursday I put 1 hour into speaking, 2 hours of (passive) listening, 1 hour of reading, and 30 minutes of writing.
Since 1/21/13 I've studied for about 4.5 hrs

Brun Ugle
Diglot
Norway
brunugle.wordpress.c
Joined 6402 days ago

1292 posts - 1766 votes 
Speaks: English*, NorwegianC1
Studies: Japanese, Esperanto, Spanish, Finnish

Message 3 of 10
25 January 2013 at 8:43am | IP Logged 
There is no need to record how much time you spend unless you like to. If you've read our logs, you've probably noticed you can write about all kinds of things in your log: what you study, how you study, what you're struggling with, what you find amusing, etc. It doesn't even all have to be language related.

Some people, like me, enjoy keeping track of the amount of time they use and find it a useful tool. Other people find it to be stressful and too much work. It's your log, so it's up to you how you use it. The only requirement as far as TAC goes is that you keep a log and that you read your teammates' logs.

Roycet
United States
Joined 4324 days ago

17 posts - 20 votes

Message 4 of 10
19 February 2013 at 2:57am | IP Logged 
I worked on reading some manga this weekend. I fell off on practicing speaking, but I'm just waiting on getting some better internet in which I should receive next week. I learned a lot of colloquial terms and phrases from manga. I still have a hard time understanding manga depending on the manga. I read some Hajime No Ippo and Kuroko No Basketball this weekend and Ippo was a little bit more easier to follow at times, but I think it's only like that because I've been following Hajime No Ippo for years and the story, the characters, and the vocabulary just felt more familiar. My following of Kuroko No Basketball is fairly new compared to Hajime No Ippo and I felt that a lot of the characters speech is weird and it hard to describe a basketball game with simple terminology. I'm still focusing hard on my listening skills. I practice a lot of listening as I go to work on the bus which is usually a hour out of the day. I want to do it when I leave work, but I use that time for listening to some Korean. I listen to more Japanese at home passively as I use computer.    

kujichagulia
Japan
Joined 4629 days ago

1031 posts - 1571 votes 
Studies: Japanese, Portuguese

Message 5 of 10
19 February 2013 at 7:25am | IP Logged 
Good luck with your Japanese journey!

I'm also working on my listening when I'm standing on the train or when I'm walking. I find that putting some audio onto a playlist on my music player, setting it to random, and playing it helps my listening and also aurally reviews learned vocabulary.

Brun Ugle
Diglot
Norway
brunugle.wordpress.c
Joined 6402 days ago

1292 posts - 1766 votes 
Speaks: English*, NorwegianC1
Studies: Japanese, Esperanto, Spanish, Finnish

Message 6 of 10
26 February 2013 at 11:16am | IP Logged 
Better internet -- I've been hoping for that for about 2 years. Currently, I am alternate between sitting in the kitchen, the bathroom and the hallway, wherever I can find a signal.

Roycet
United States
Joined 4324 days ago

17 posts - 20 votes

Message 7 of 10
27 February 2013 at 5:02am | IP Logged 
Yeah, it sucks not having good internet. I've finally got some home internet instead of using my cellphone internet. Now I can go back to talking on Skype, Line, or Sharedtalk.

Roycet
United States
Joined 4324 days ago

17 posts - 20 votes

Message 8 of 10
27 July 2013 at 4:06am | IP Logged 
A lot have happen since the last time I post but I will slowly get everyone back to date of what I've been doing.Now I have a good internet connection. I can say that I can read manga now at a more comfortable level. There are times I don't understand what is exactly going on but for the most part I understand overall what happening in the story. Still need to practice on my listening and speaking, I'm planning on going to a Japanese meetup tomorrow and hopeful I get some good practice. Might be able to get practice on Skype tonight if I'm lucky.

This discussion contains 10 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version