RogueMD
United States
Joined 4830 days ago

72 posts - 82 votes 
Speaks: English*

Message 1 of 8
25 January 2013 at 2:10pm | IP Logged 
Hello-
Can anyone recommend any resources for Egyptian Arabic; beginner/intermediate level. I specifically am looking
for audio content (as this is what I have least access to).
I would consider a web based pod site if anyone can strongly recommend a particular site.

شكرا

2 persons have voted this message useful

arturs
Triglot
Latvia
Joined 5081 days ago

278 posts - 408 votes 
Speaks: Latvian*, Russian, English

Message 2 of 8
25 January 2013 at 5:56pm | IP Logged 
Pimsleur Egyptian Arabic. Michel Thomas Egyptian also teaches the Egyptian dialect.
As for formal courses - Colloquial Egyptian Arabic, but I think it used only Latin script, since dialects are rarely written in Arabic letters in study materials.
1 person has voted this message useful

incorporeality
United States
Joined 5184 days ago

7 posts - 9 votes

Message 3 of 8
25 January 2013 at 6:21pm | IP Logged 
Kallimni 'Arabi Bishweesh comes with audio. This series has numerous entries, from
beginner to "higher advanced."

http://www.amazon.com/Kallimni-Arabi-Bishweesh-Beginners-
Egyptian/dp/977416220X/ref=pd_bxgy_b_img_z

stelingo
Hexaglot
United Kingdom
Joined 5642 days ago

722 posts - 1076 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Portuguese, French, German, Italian
Studies: Russian, Czech, Polish, Greek, Mandarin

Message 4 of 8
25 January 2013 at 9:08pm | IP Logged 
incorporeality wrote:
Kallimni 'Arabi Bishweesh comes with audio. This series has numerous entries, from
beginner to "higher advanced."

http://www.amazon.com/Kallimni-Arabi-Bishweesh-Beginners-
Egyptian/dp/977416220X/ref=pd_bxgy_b_img_z

I am using the second book in this series Kallimni 3arabi and would definitely recommend it if you are familiar with the script and already know some MSA/ECA. The actors on the audio speak clearly and are pleasant to listen to. There are a mixture of dialogues, as well as pronunciation exercises. There is also emphasis on how to pronounce verbs, pronoun suffixes etc, very useful for getting used to the shifts in stress and fleeting vowels.

Some free resources http://phone.lingnet.org/default_arabic.asp Audio in 3 dialects including Egyptian.

GLOSS Lots of reading and listening material.

Edited by stelingo on 25 January 2013 at 9:31pm

Jappy58
Bilingual Super Polyglot
United States
Joined 4448 days ago

200 posts - 413 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, Guarani*, Arabic (Levantine), Arabic (Egyptian), Arabic (Maghribi), Arabic (Written), French, English, Persian, Quechua, Portuguese
Studies: Modern Hebrew

Message 5 of 8
26 January 2013 at 12:20am | IP Logged 
Kallimni Arabi and the other resources already provided are excellent, IMO.

I would also take a look at Kalaam Gamiil.

mahasiswa
Pentaglot
Groupie
Canada
Joined 4242 days ago

91 posts - 142 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Spanish, German, Malay
Studies: Arabic (Egyptian), Persian, Russian, Turkish, Mandarin, Hindi

Message 6 of 8
26 January 2013 at 3:02am | IP Logged 
I actually just bought Kalaam Gamiil and after 3 months of study this is a godsend of a resource and only
$25 bucks or so and arrived in 2 days from the site I ordered it (with free shipping). I was just wondering
what the diff is between Kallimni Arabi and Kalaam Gamiil? It's the same publishers and from the
outward appearance, I would assume very similar formats for the two.

I can tell you that Kalaam Gamiil is 12 lessons starting with vocabulary, moving to sentences,
situation/dialogue, grammar, and finally drills. It starts with the basics: Phrases, The Nominal Sentence,
the use of Fiih ('there is'), Ordinal and Cardinal Numbers; and the final lesson treats: The Past Tense of
the Participle + Imperfect Verb Structure, The Past Tense of the Variable/Invariable Word + Imperfect
Verb Structure, Patterns of Verb Vowels.

The best part is that Kalaam Gamiil, after a 3 year hiatus, is receiving volume 2 of the series this March! I
plan to spend 6 hours per chapter and hopefully by April I'll be able to move on to the second volume. I
already completed 3 months of 3-hour/week private tutoring in MSA and Pimsleur's Egyptian Arabic
Level 1 and I also own (but haven't completed) Wightwick's Easy Arabic Reader and Thinking Arabic
Translation and Assimil L'arabe sans peine. Kalaam Gamiil is a godsend.

EDIT: props for:
stelingo wrote:

Some free resources
http://phone.lingnet.org/default_arabic.asp
Audio in 3 dialects including Egyptian.

Edited by mahasiswa on 26 January 2013 at 3:08am

Jappy58
Bilingual Super Polyglot
United States
Joined 4448 days ago

200 posts - 413 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, Guarani*, Arabic (Levantine), Arabic (Egyptian), Arabic (Maghribi), Arabic (Written), French, English, Persian, Quechua, Portuguese
Studies: Modern Hebrew

Message 7 of 8
27 January 2013 at 7:44pm | IP Logged 
mahasiswa wrote:
I actually just bought Kalaam Gamiil and after 3 months of study this is a godsend of a resource and only
$25 bucks or so and arrived in 2 days from the site I ordered it (with free shipping). I was just wondering
what the diff is between Kallimni Arabi and Kalaam Gamiil? It's the same publishers and from the
outward appearance, I would assume very similar formats for the two.
[/QUOTE]

The difference between the two series, IMO, is the accessibility. Kallimni Arabi is excellent, but it certainly requires a foundation in MSA in order to be able to use it efficiently. Many feel that they need native help in order to progress through the book well, as it was intended more for in-class use. That being said, intermediate MSA is all that's really needed.

Kalaam Gamiil is more accessible, but still requires some background in MSA. I estimate that by completing the first volume/book, students can reach a solid B1 level.

Both courses are engaging, IMO, and feature authentic Egyptian (Cairene) Arabic. They weren't out when I was studying Egyptian Arabic, but I certainly wish they were. I used "Spoken Arabic of Cairo" which is also a solid course, but less up-to-date compared to the other resources.

I am looking forward to viewing Umm Al-Dunya, an advanced course by the same author of Kalaam Gamiil.

I also highly recommend this website. It features extensive vocabulary lists (MSA and Egyptian), colloquial expressions, and some grammar topics.

RogueMD
United States
Joined 4830 days ago

72 posts - 82 votes 

Message 8 of 8
27 January 2013 at 7:57pm | IP Logged 
Thank you to all for your responses. I would never have found these resources on my own; nor known if they were
of any worth even if I had found them.
I appreciate the assistance.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version