Tetraglot
ChinaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5658 days ago

1622 posts - 2299 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Mandarin, Esperanto
Studies: Basque

Message 9 of 11
21 June 2013 at 2:22pm | IP Logged 
Welcome back! I hope you have a nice time at the summer school, it sounds like you're on track to make a lot of progress. It's also nice to watch movies with the excuse that you're studying :)
1 person has voted this message useful

AnnetteK
Triglot
NetherlandsRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4146 days ago

13 posts - 23 votes
Speaks: Dutch*, EnglishC2, German
Studies: Croatian

Message 10 of 11
27 July 2013 at 11:00am | IP Logged 
@Crush Thank you, and sorry for the late reply. I don't count watching movies as proper studying, but it does
help to keep the language in my head when I don't have the energy for "real" study. Whatever that is ...

---------

I'm in Dubrovnik since last weekend, so the first week of school is already over. It's nice to be back here and
I'm glad to find I have more energy to study after my classes than I did last year. I'm sure one of the reasons
for that is that last year I was extremely busy at work up to the day before I left and arrived in Dubrovnik very
tired. The classes also seem less tiring though, I don't have to concentrate as much to follow what the
teacher is saying.

Having said that ... speaking Croatian is still very hard for me. My classmates all have Croatian relatives or a
Croatian partner and are much better at communicating in Croatian than I am, even though I seem to have a
larger vocabulary.

We are in class four hours a day, including a half hour coffee-break. We usually start with some basic
conversation (where have you been and what have you done yesterday ...).  This week we've spent quite a
lot of time doing grammar exercises: revising the cases, use of prepositions and verbal aspect. We've also
read a few short newspaper articles and talked about them. We get a little homework every day, usually a
writing task.

Of course Dubrovnik is also a very beautiful city and a great place to hang out for a few weeks. :-) I hope I
can make some progress with the language but I also plan to make a few day-trips in the weekends and
enjoy myself.

Edited by AnnetteK on 27 July 2013 at 11:02am

1 person has voted this message useful

AnnetteK
Triglot
NetherlandsRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4146 days ago

13 posts - 23 votes
Speaks: Dutch*, EnglishC2, German
Studies: Croatian

Message 11 of 11
09 December 2013 at 10:55am | IP Logged 
It seems I'm not very good at this keeping a log thing ... I'm doing o.k. with the language study though. :-)

After the summer school in Dubrovnik I went home for a month. At the end of September I came to Zagreb to
study at "Croaticum", the Croatian-as-a-foreign-language department of the University of Zagreb. I'm still in
Zagreb now, but last week was my last week at school. I'm going to Istria for a few days tomorrow, then flying
home on Saturday.

I really enjoyed studying at Croaticum and I feel I have made good progress. Since I can't stay for the whole
semester, I did two one-month courses. A little more expensive but it included individual tuition, which has
been very helpful because I could tell the teacher what I wanted to work on. I had 3 x 45 minutes group class
every day, and twice a week 2 x 45 minutes individual tuition. I sat the B1 level exam and passed it.

Speaking is still my weak spot but for the past month or so I've been able to handle daily life in Zagreb
(shopping, going out, travelling ...) completely in Croatian. I'll continue my studies at home and I hope I'll be
back in Zagreb soon. I've developed an affection for this city and it has begun to feel like home.

3 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 11 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version