Triglot
Italy
lang-8.com/1108796Registered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4198 days ago

287 posts - 393 votes 
Speaks: Italian*, English, German

Message 1 of 3
27 January 2013 at 8:31pm | IP Logged 
can anyone tell me how known russian is in lithuania ?
1 person has voted this message useful

sillygoose1
Tetraglot
United States
Joined 4446 days ago

566 posts - 814 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian, Spanish, French
Studies: German, Latin

Message 2 of 3
27 January 2013 at 9:01pm | IP Logged 
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russian_language
1 person has voted this message useful

p.nezinia
Triglot
Lithuania
Joined 4131 days ago

4 posts - 6 votes
Speaks: Lithuanian*, Sign Language, English
Studies: Finnish

Message 3 of 3
27 January 2013 at 10:25pm | IP Logged 
As it is stated on that wiki article, some people in Lithuania speak Russian as a mother tongue, almost all of the people who now are 30 y/o and older are more or less able to speak Russian as a "foreign language" because of the former soviet politics. But after the independance, everything that is Russian became somehow unbearable for everybody, and we tried to get rid of it as much as we could, so there were no Russian statues left in the squares and no Russian cartoons left on the TV and no Russian literature left in the studying programmes and no Russian lessons in schools. So most of the kids who grew up during that time can't speak a word Russian. Nowadays the importance of Russian language for our everyday life is understood again, and I think a major part of new generations that are growing up now will be, again, more or less able to speak this language. Too bad I'm a kid of that "lost" generation... :)

3 persons have voted this message useful

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version