thepolyglotist.com
Joined 4093 days ago

280 posts - 488 votes 
Speaks: English, Spanish*, Japanese, Italian
Studies: Esperanto, French

Message 1 of 18
30 January 2013 at 3:27am | IP Logged 
Hello everyone.
I'm currently writing a book regarding my experiences in language learning (as it's something I've done consistently since childhood, as well as something I enjoy very much and have taken a lot from).

However, besides putting my thoughts and experiences down in paper, I also want what I write to accurately reflect what a language learner is; this, however, is data that I've found to be mostly nonexistent. Other than the odd study ruling on what cerebral areas language learners have developed the most, etc, etc, there's actually very little info on the common characteristics of the language learning community.

Taking in advantage that almost all (if not everybody) in this forum is learning or has learned a language out of pleasure rather than obligation, I'd like to do a mini-survey of the community, just to get my facts in order.

I've narrowed my survey to just a few questions regarding the traits I most commonly see in language learners like myself. As these are mostly two-option questions, you can just choose one and write it down in your reply, but if you'd like, feel free to elaborate!

(Also, this is aimed at ANYONE learning a language--it doesn't matter if you speak two or twenty languages.)

- Did you start learning languages (for pleasure) before or after you became an adult?

- Do you have a set routine for studying, or are a "learn-as-you-go" learner?

- Did you have motivation or a reason to start learning languages, or started doing it as an extracurricular activity?

- Do you like reading?

- Do you consider yourself "passionate" about learning your chosen language (or, if you've stopped studying actively, were you passionate about it at the time)?

Thanks in advance to all who participate!
(Also, I was lost for a while regarding if this should be here or in General Discussion. If the mods consider this to be in the wrong place, please forgive me and move it to its proper place.)

Edited by Lakeseayesno on 30 January 2013 at 3:29am

1 person has voted this message useful

Ogrim
Heptaglot
France
Joined 4398 days ago

991 posts - 1896 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, English, Spanish, French, Romansh, German, Italian
Studies: Russian, Catalan, Latin, Greek, Romanian

Message 2 of 18
30 January 2013 at 10:29am | IP Logged 
I can give you the short or the long answers to those questions. If you want the long one, I rather pm it to you. The short answers are:

1. I started learning languages for pleasure as a "young man" (around the age of 16).
2. I used to have a set routine, but now due to lack of time it is more "learn whenever you can". I do like to follow structured courses though.
3. I started learning languages (for pleasure) because of my interest in other cultures and in literature.
4. Yes, I read a lot.
5. Yes and no - depends on the language.

Edited by Ogrim on 30 January 2013 at 11:03am

renaissancemedi
Bilingual Triglot
Greece
Joined 4117 days ago

941 posts - 1309 votes 
Speaks: Greek*, Ancient Greek*, EnglishC2
Studies: French, Russian, Turkish, Modern Hebrew

Message 3 of 18
30 January 2013 at 10:53am | IP Logged 
- Did you start learning languages (for pleasure) before or after you became an adult?
Before. French at the age of ten. I demanded it of my parents.

Well, this is a tricky question. A routine is what gets me results, so I try, but sometimes I change courses, then return to the previous course, etc. My routune is "study every day", but I make a few steps back sometimes.

- Did you have motivation or a reason to start learning languages, or started doing it as an extracurricular activity?
It's always nice to have a language under your belt, if you want to have a chance at a good job. However, my parents decided I should learn English, and as for french, I asked it of them because I loved how it sounded. As for the languages I am currently studying it's partly because they might be useful, partly because I like them. The truth is I love literature and history, and languages help me satisfy those passions. I also love fashion, and I want to read all those German pattern sites out there. I never saw languages as an end, but as a means to an end.

- Do you like reading?
Reading and writing.

- Do you consider yourself "passionate" about learning your chosen language (or, if you've stopped studying actively, were you passionate about it at the time)?
Yes.

hribecek
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 5108 days ago

1243 posts - 1458 votes 
Speaks: English*, Czech, Spanish
Studies: Italian, Polish, Slovak, Hungarian, Toki Pona, Russian

Message 4 of 18
30 January 2013 at 12:42pm | IP Logged 

After, at age 24.

A little bit set but open to new ideas.

Extra-curricular.

- Do you like reading?

Yes.

Yes, passion is and has always been my main reason for language learning.

Arekkusu
Hexaglot
Canada
bit.ly/qc_10_lec
Joined 5140 days ago

3971 posts - 7747 votes 
Speaks: English, French*, GermanC1, Spanish, Japanese, Esperanto
Studies: Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Estonian

Message 5 of 18
30 January 2013 at 3:13pm | IP Logged 

Before.

Learn-as-you-go. No method, no technique.

Extracurricular.

- Do you like reading?

Not really. Not fiction, and not for leisure, anyway. I do read a lot as a source of information and knowledge, though.

Passionate, in this and in all.

sans-serif
Tetraglot
Finland
Joined 4318 days ago

298 posts - 470 votes 
Speaks: Finnish*, English, German, Swedish
Studies: Danish

Message 6 of 18
30 January 2013 at 3:52pm | IP Logged 

Before. At least if input activities count as "learning languages". If not, after.

Learn-as-you-go. I have thought about the process of learning a language quite a lot, and I have some ideas and approaches that I like, but at the end of the day I go about it in a very unstructured way.

- Did you have a motivation or a reason to start learning languages, or started doing it as an extracurricular activity?

Motivation/reason, maybe? I'm not sure what to answer. Languages in general or for pleasure? I wanted to read some books that hadn't been translated into my mother tongue, so I read them in English instead. I wasn't trying to learn anything, I just wanted to understand the story. At the time, I had been taking German and English for a year or two.

- Do you like reading?

Yes. It's also one of the most important components of my learning "strategy".

Nope. Passionate is a big word. I'm not sure if I would say I have any true passions.

Edited by sans-serif on 30 January 2013 at 3:53pm

agantik
Triglot
France
Joined 4394 days ago

217 posts - 335 votes 
Speaks: French*, English, Italian
Studies: German, Norwegian

Message 7 of 18
30 January 2013 at 10:15pm | IP Logged 
Before, when I was about ten , I discovered my father's 1960 Spanish Assimil method as well as a bunch of
English books in the family library.

I used to, when I was a student, now for lack of time (married life with children and job, hello!)I'm rather the
learn as you go type.

- Did you have motivation or a reason to start learning languages, or started doing it as an extracurricular
activity?
I found it fascinating, I had the feeling of entering a parallel world with its own culture, literature, history I was
eager to discover.

- Do you like reading?
A lot. Up to 150 books a year in my student days.

- Do you consider yourself "passionate" about learning your chosen language (or, if you've stopped studying
actively, were you passionate about it at the time?
Definitely.

Edited by agantik on 30 January 2013 at 10:19pm

Nuuskamuikkunen
Triglot
Finland
Joined 4075 days ago

21 posts - 43 votes
Speaks: Finnish*, Polish, English

Message 8 of 18
30 January 2013 at 11:46pm | IP Logged 

After, excluding a couple very short and ineffective tries as a kid.

Yes, and no. I know what works for me, but I am too lazy to have a routine.

I always have a reason.

- Do you like reading?

Absolutely.

Yes. Too lazy to learn it otherwise.

This discussion contains 18 messages over 3 pages: 2 3  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version