Groupie
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5298 days ago

53 posts - 95 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Modern Hebrew

Message 1 of 13
30 January 2013 at 3:09pm | IP Logged 
Hello everyone. I’m a native to English and am currently studying Modern Hebrew and I was hoping to get some feedback and or opinions on where I will be within the next 8 months of studying. I’ve studied a few languages in the past, but I was never able to get beyond A2. However, I’m not discouraged by this, because it’s my nature to sample until I find something that suites me.

According to this website http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Language_Learning_Difficulty_fo r_English_Speakers, which is geared towards native speakers of English by 1,100 hours I will have an S3 (General Speaking Proficiency) and a R3 (General Reading Proficiency), which probably equates to a strong B2. However, within my timeframe for studying I will probably only be able to attain 800-900 hours of direct contact with the language.

So the conditions are as follows:
Timeframe: 8 Months
Hours of study: 800-900 Hours
Overall Goal: Fluency (C1 or Greater)
General Goals in order of Importance: Speaking (1), Listening (2), Reading (3) and Writing (4).

Current Methods of Study within 3 Hour Blocks:
Speaking = 1 Hour (Pimsleur, Audio Programs, etc.)
Listening = 30 Minutes (Podcasts, etc.)
Vocabulary = 30 Minutes (Anki, Vocabulary Books, etc.)
Formal Study = 1 Hour (Textbooks of all varieties which covers Reading and Writing with exercises).

So my question is this, what are my realistic expectations for this language within the hours I will be able to reach? Will I be able to carry on conversations with ease, strain or borderline aneurism?

This is not meant to limit comments or opinions, but it would be great if the responders were; (A) Natives to English either learning or have learned Hebrew, (B) Native to Hebrew with knowledge of the complexities to English speakers or (C) Native to English, but have learned a Category II language based on the website listed above.

1 person has voted this message useful

renaissancemedi
Bilingual Triglot
Greece
Joined 4168 days ago

941 posts - 1309 votes 
Speaks: Greek*, Ancient Greek*, EnglishC2
Studies: French, Russian, Turkish, Modern Hebrew

Message 2 of 13
30 January 2013 at 3:38pm | IP Logged 
I can't do the math, but you seem to have a plan here.
Your general goals in order of importance seem fine, although I think that we generaly understand (listen and read) sooner and better than we can speak or write. I don't know if 8 monts is enough for the level you are aiming for, but then again if you study 3 hours (a day?) you are bound to progress alot. I am sure that everyday conversation will be achieved, but as far as the aneurism is concerned, I guess it would depend on the conversation.
Anyway, Hebrew is one of the languages I also want to learn, so good luck to you as well. I don't belong to the list of responders at all, but my (very) limited experience from the Hebrew language gave me the impression of not so difficult.

Rykketid
Diglot
Groupie
Italy
Joined 4643 days ago

88 posts - 146 votes 
Speaks: Italian*, English
Studies: French

Message 3 of 13
30 January 2013 at 4:30pm | IP Logged 

Edited by Rykketid on 30 January 2013 at 4:42pm

SnowManR1
Groupie
Joined 5298 days ago

53 posts - 95 votes 

Message 4 of 13
30 January 2013 at 4:39pm | IP Logged 
To renaissancemedi

The 3 hours that you mentioned are what I was using as a reference for everyone to see what and how I study within a 3 hour window. Using the example above, that's what I do Monday through Friday each day with 3 hours of study time. Everything is doubled on Saturdays and Sundays. Thanks for your thoughts.

Edited by SnowManR1 on 30 January 2013 at 5:11pm

geoffw
Triglot
United States
Joined 4498 days ago

1134 posts - 1865 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Yiddish
Studies: Modern Hebrew, French, Dutch, Italian, Russian

Message 5 of 13
30 January 2013 at 9:40pm | IP Logged 
So what happens when your "timeframe" runs out? Do you stop being able to study Hebrew? Or are you just curious about what you can reasonably expect to achieve for your efforts?

SnowManR1
Groupie
Joined 5298 days ago

53 posts - 95 votes 

Message 6 of 13
30 January 2013 at 10:12pm | IP Logged 
To Geoffw

No, I doubt I will ever stop learning this language. The timeframe I gave refers to the amount of time I have before I will be vacationing in Israel, but yes to the latter part of your question. In my personal opinion, I believe I could make it to B2, but since I have no real way of knowing this I decided to ask others who have either done this or something similar about what I should expect. Good question.

geoffw
Triglot
United States
Joined 4498 days ago

1134 posts - 1865 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Yiddish
Studies: Modern Hebrew, French, Dutch, Italian, Russian

Message 7 of 13
30 January 2013 at 10:18pm | IP Logged 
Got it. Well, I CAN promise you that if you spend 800 hours studying the language before going for vacation, you should be very well prepared, whether you hit your paper targets or not. But I also bet you'll feel like you improve a lot when you're there, too. There's something about true environmental immersion that seems to make things start clicking a little better. When the street signs, warning labels, public announcements, and surrounding conversations are primarily in the language you're studying, it just puts you mentally in a different place right away. Good luck, and have fun!

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4517 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 8 of 13
30 January 2013 at 11:20pm | IP Logged 
Gonna have to go with Geoffw here. 800 hours is a lot of time, you should do fine. The
point is, if you study a lot and practice a lot, you will do better. Giving up is for
quitters, and you're not a quitter if you spend 800 hours learning Hebrew.

This discussion contains 13 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version