sjheiss
Diglot
United States
Joined 5469 days ago

100 posts - 174 votes 
Speaks: English*, Basque

Message 1 of 4
01 February 2013 at 2:20am | IP Logged 
Hey everyone! I decided I'd stop being lazy and join TAC this year. :D My languages will be Basque (which I'm already about a B2 in, but I want to improve it), Hungarian, and Tibetan.

Basque: I want to be C1 by the end of the year in Basque. I started Basque around September 2010, and have been studying it on and off since then. I'd like to start seriously studying it more and practicing it. In addition to that, I will be learning the Souletin dialect, my favorite!

Hungarian: I am just starting this one, and would like to be B1 by the end of the year. I have a lot of materials for it, including The Little Prince (my favorite novel(la)), the Harry Potter books (not my favorite, but good for some languages), and lots of fan translations of video games, including my all-time favorite, Final Fantasy VIII. 8-) Practicing Hungarian will be easier than with Basque, so it won't be very hard to learn. Here is a great Hungarian song. :) I have been studying Hungarian for about a week (maybe a week and a half), and it's coming along nicely. I am currently learning it by playing FF8 and translating to English, which works well for me. I love Hungarian. ^_^

Tibetan: This one I just started yesterday, and I love it too! Like Hungarian I got interested in it a couple years ago (almost 3 years exactly for Tibetan) and am now returning to it. I have a ton of resources for this, including a book on the Amdo dialect, which I will probably learn eventually, or maybe soon if it is similar enough to Lhasa. I am still learning to read the script, but it's coming along quickly and nicely, and it won't be a problem. The orthography on the other hand, will be a challenge! It's much worse than French in terms of "phoneticality" (it's a word now!) but it's not impossible. Plus, so far my favorite dialect of Tibetan is Lhasa (which is odd for me, since usually I prefer non-standard languages, like the Puter dialect of Romansh, and the Souletin dialect of Basque), so I'm more determined to learn it than I might Amdo. Here is a funny song in Tibetan about the dish momo, with a short spoken part at the beginning, if you're wondering what it sounds like.

Edited by sjheiss on 01 February 2013 at 2:30am

1 person has voted this message useful

druckfehler
Triglot
Germany
Joined 4653 days ago

1181 posts - 1912 votes 
Speaks: German*, EnglishC2, Korean
Studies: Persian

Message 2 of 4
02 February 2013 at 3:36am | IP Logged 
I'm really curious how you chose these three less often studied languages. I think it's great that you're studying them and guess you'll probably have many great experiences once you're ready to talk with native speakers.

Chung
Diglot
Joined 6941 days ago

4228 posts - 8259 votes 
20 sounds
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Polish, Slovak, Uzbek, Turkish, Korean, Finnish

Message 3 of 4
02 February 2013 at 4:01am | IP Logged 
sjheiss wrote:
[...]I love Hungarian. ^_^[...]

Yup, I'm there too and don't want it any other way.

Isten hozott!

sjheiss
Diglot
United States
Joined 5469 days ago

100 posts - 174 votes 
Speaks: English*, Basque

Message 4 of 4
02 February 2013 at 5:17am | IP Logged 
Basque I chose simply because I fell in love with the language. I guess you could say the same about Hungarian and Tibetan too! My love for Tibetan is still young, but I'm pretty sure I'll stick with it. I've always wanted to learn a tonal language, and Tibetan has retroflex consonants and nasal vowels, both of which I love. :)

Thanks Chung!

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version