Manx: Bringing a language back from dead

Language Learning Forum : Specific Languages Post Reply
iguanamon
Pentaglot
Virgin Islands
Speaks: Ladino
Joined 5072 days ago

2237 posts - 6731 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Portuguese, Haitian Creole, Creole (French)

Message 1 of 3
01 February 2013 at 11:54pm | IP Logged 
The Isle of Man is a beautiful and quirky place. It's located in the Irish Sea between Northwest England and Ireland. It's the home of the TT Motorcycle Races. The movie Waking Ned Devine was filmed in its entirety on the island, subbing for Ireland. It's not technically part of the UK or the EU but a Crown Dependency. My daughter was born there and I have lovely memories of the time I spent in Port St Mary. This article appeared on the BBC website Manx: Bringing a language back from the dead.

If anyone is interested in some free language resources: Ynsee Gaelg- learnmanx.com has loads of free downloadable resources.

Edited by iguanamon on 02 February 2013 at 12:06am

6 persons have voted this message useful

Josquin
Heptaglot
Germany
Joined 4654 days ago

2266 posts - 3992 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Latin, Italian, Russian, Swedish
Studies: Japanese, Irish, Portuguese, Persian

Message 2 of 3
02 February 2013 at 12:35pm | IP Logged 
That's a very interesting article. Thank you for posting it. I have been interested in the Celtic languages for some time now and I'm always glad to find some new information about them. If you're interested in the "original" language, there is an interview with Ned Maddrell, the last native speaker of Manx, on YouTube. Of course, it is in Manx, but even if I don't understand anything, it's interesting to listen to this language: Interview with Ned Maddrell
3 persons have voted this message useful

beano
Diglot
United KingdomRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4432 days ago

1049 posts - 2152 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Russian, Serbian, Hungarian

Message 3 of 3
02 February 2013 at 11:30pm | IP Logged 
I find it really sad that not so long ago, speakers of Celtic languages were effectively bullied out of using their
native tongue, being made to feel that it was a symbol of backwardness and low social standing. Parents
even refused to pass the language on to their children. They probably thought it was the only way forward,
but it dealt the languages a sickening hammer blow.

It now seems totally inconceivble that having the ability to speak two languages was regarded as a negative
thing.

2 persons have voted this message useful

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version