Denmark
Joined 4404 days ago

11 posts - 11 votes
Speaks: Danish*, German, English, Russian

Message 1 of 3
03 February 2013 at 3:12pm | IP Logged 
Hello everyone.

Long story short.
I was plannign an exchange semester in Finland, and therefore I started to study
finnish by myself, and it has been going quite well.
With the help of some small white lies,I have been given permission to join an advanced
finnish class (10 hours a week) for free at my University. The classes will start
tomorrow.
But today I realised that a University in Estonia would be much better for my
education. So I have chosen to apply there instead of Finland.

That leads me to my question. Should I still take the finnish class?
I will start a self study of Estonia, but will it be a good idea to continue with
finnish?
1 person has voted this message useful

Chung
Diglot
Joined 6966 days ago

4228 posts - 8259 votes 
20 sounds
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Polish, Slovak, Uzbek, Turkish, Korean, Finnish

Message 2 of 3
03 February 2013 at 3:45pm | IP Logged 
When does the semester in Estonia start?

10 hours of class per week of advanced Finnish for free sounds like a nice deal even if you won't get an extraordinary amount of benefit since the chance for exposure from a the teacher (native speaker?) can't hurt.

If you're sufficiently advanced in Finnish, it might not be the worst thing to start learning some Estonian since it's even easier to confuse concepts in the languages when your proficiency is lower. See this summary for a comparison of the two.
6 persons have voted this message useful

geoffw
Triglot
United States
Joined 4498 days ago

1134 posts - 1865 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Yiddish
Studies: Modern Hebrew, French, Dutch, Italian, Russian

Message 3 of 3
03 February 2013 at 3:47pm | IP Logged 
I don't think you'll find anyone here who will tell you it's bad to know more languages. It sounds like you're asking if Finnish will be worth the extra effort, which is really only something you can know yourself. If you have a clear need for one language in particular, you need to dedicate yourself to it as well as you can. But if you want to study another one out of interest, that's fine, as long as you don't let it interfere with your actual needs.

2 persons have voted this message useful

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version