Triglot
United States
Joined 4566 days ago

581 posts - 977 votes 
Speaks: English*, Hawaiian, Tagalog
Studies: Spanish

Message 1 of 7
10 February 2013 at 6:57am | IP Logged 
I noticed in amazon.com that there are many "test preparation" manuals for different CEFR levels for Spanish. I am intrigued that this might be interesting material to work through after completing Assimil, Pimsleur, or Platiquemos. The DELE and TELC materials seem to include "practice tests" While I realize that learning to pass one B2 test will not make one able to pass all B2 tests, it might make interesting material to work through.

Has anybody used these manuals for general language learning? Has anybody used them for preparation for the actual tests in Spanish?

Are some of these manuals better than others? TELC seems to have practice tests on line that can be downloaded.

steve
1 person has voted this message useful

hrhenry
Octoglot
United States
languagehopper.blogs
Joined 4931 days ago

1871 posts - 3642 votes 
Speaks: English*, SpanishC2, ItalianC2, Norwegian, Catalan, Galician, Turkish, Portuguese
Studies: Polish, Indonesian, Ojibwe

Message 2 of 7
10 February 2013 at 7:13am | IP Logged 
sfuqua wrote:

Has anybody used these manuals for general language learning? Has anybody used them
for preparation for the actual tests in Spanish?

I have the TELC Turkish prep material that I'm working through, because I'm sitting the
B2 exams this month. The material has given me a decent idea of what (supposedly) to
expect. It includes audio too, so I would think that it would make for decent study
material, at the very least for vocabulary.

I can't compare this to any other prep material - I didn't use any prep material for my
Spanish or Italian exams.

R.
==

dbag
United Kingdom
Joined 4823 days ago

605 posts - 1046 votes 
Speaks: English*

Message 3 of 7
10 February 2013 at 10:28am | IP Logged 
Have you read DaraghM's old Spanish logs? It looks like he used "Anaya Gramatica" B1 and B2 with a lot of success.

My feeling is that there is A LOT more vocabulary in official DELE materials than to be found in either Assimil or FSI. For example this morning I was flicking through one of the La Spiga graded readers which is graded at A1/A2, (Dos Aventuras de Sherlock Holmes) and was dismayed to find that there where quite a few words I had never come across.

I have used "punto y coma" magazine briefly and it appears to be excellent. In fact I have been thinking for a while that DELE materials are perhaps the next step.
2 persons have voted this message useful

sfuqua
Triglot
United States
Joined 4566 days ago

581 posts - 977 votes 

Message 4 of 7
11 February 2013 at 6:09am | IP Logged 
Some of the EDELSA material looks quite interesting, in that they include several practice tests in each book. I wonder if they wouldn't make a good supplement to FSI, or at least something to work through after FSI. I don't know if the tests in the EDELSA materials are close to the actual examinations.

TELC has practice exams at A1->B2 levels available for free. I think I'll play with those first.

steve

dbag
United Kingdom
Joined 4823 days ago

605 posts - 1046 votes 
Speaks: English*

Message 5 of 7
11 February 2013 at 9:30am | IP Logged 
Do you have to pay for those? DELE has some that you can see for free.

sfuqua
Triglot
United States
Joined 4566 days ago

581 posts - 977 votes 

Message 6 of 7
11 February 2013 at 7:38pm | IP Logged 
Somehow I didn't find the DELE sample tests before. I downloaded the lot. It looks
like there are many examples from the B1/B2 level, the level most appropriate for
someone who has completed FSI or Assimil. I'm not sure when I'm going to get around to
looking carefully at these, since I'm still early in FSI.

The TELC ones are for free, but there are fewer of them; they don't include the C1 or
C2 levels. The EDELSA materials are extensive, but cost money and I am not sure of the
quality. DELE has enough examples to keep somebody busy for a while, and these have
the advantage of being actual tests that were given. I bet this material might be a
good follow up or supplement to FSI/Assimil.

While my Spanish has many areas of weakness, I feel my vocabulary has been lagging the
past few months. There are many words I don't know, that haven't come up in the
"beginner" to "intermediate" materials I've studied. It is always interesting when you
learn a new word, that you would swear you have never seen before, and then you find
yourself running into it several times in the next day. It suggests to me that I often
don't know what I'm missing when I'm reading or listening to Spanish.

steve

DaraghM
Diglot
Ireland
Joined 5952 days ago

1947 posts - 2923 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: French, Russian, Hungarian

Message 7 of 7
12 February 2013 at 3:15pm | IP Logged 
dbag wrote:
Have you read DaraghM's old Spanish logs? It looks like he used "Anaya Gramatica" B1 and B2 with a lot of success.

I should add that Anaya ELE have also some very good vocabulary books.

Vocabulario. Nivel Medio B1
Vocabulario. Nivel Avanzado B2

Anaya ELE Vocabulario

For a mixture of vocabulary and grammar you could try Aprende 3 (B1) and Aprende 4 (B2). I used them briefly, but I think the Anaya ELE material is stronger.

Edited by DaraghM on 12 February 2013 at 3:16pm

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version