Diglot
United States
Joined 4935 days ago

491 posts - 617 votes 
Speaks: English*, GermanC2
Studies: Danish

Message 9 of 211
15 February 2013 at 8:27pm | IP Logged 
@Fasulye: Die Sache mit dem Dänischen habe ich mir anders überlegt. Ich mag die Sprache zu sehr, um auf sie zu verzichten, Ich habe mich dazu entschlossen, mit dem dänischen Selbststudium weiterzumachen, zusammen mit dem deutschen. Vielleicht beiße ich mehr ab, als ich kauen kann, aber diese skandinavische Sprache zieht mich an wie ein Magnet.

@Sunja: I’m kind of embarrassed not to have any real German literature in my collection. I just picked out stuff that looked interesting and never thought I’d display it on a forum full of accomplished high-level language learners. Maybe I’d be better off reading works that Germans consider examples of exemplary stylistic usage intead of memorizing the names of tiger tank cooling system components.

@Cavesa: You bet. What I wouldn’t give to be able to somehow make a living with German. It’s a little late in the day for me, though, I’m afraid.

Edited by AlOlaf on 15 February 2013 at 8:28pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Cavesa
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4796 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, FrenchC2, EnglishC1
Studies: Spanish, German, Italian

Message 10 of 211
15 February 2013 at 8:38pm | IP Logged 
Don't be ashamed of your list (if it makes you feel better, I'll put a similar one on my log. Full of fantasy, sci-fi, thrillers, detective stories and similar things that might make "serious intelectuals" vomit). You're learning German for yourself and for your interests, not for being judged by people who don't even know you.

It's never too late, they say. Opportunities with languages appear at any time, even when one doesn't expect it. And I don't understand that "it's too late" attitude in your case. Yes, I am younger, that may be the reason of not understanding, but you can still probably plan for about 20 years, that's a lot. Perhaps even much more, who knows. And becoming, for example, a translator of texts related to your field, that may be a great way to pass time once you go to the retirement. Just an idea, sorry if I am offensive in any way, I don't mean to.
2 persons have voted this message useful

AlOlaf
Diglot
United States
Joined 4935 days ago

491 posts - 617 votes 

Message 11 of 211
15 February 2013 at 8:49pm | IP Logged 
There wasn’t anything remotely offensive about your reply. No, I’m glad to hear that I’m not the only one reading non-literary stuff. And thanks for the encouraging words. I guess I’m sort of a glass-half-empty type; I expect the worst in order not to be disappointed. You will post that list, won’t you?

Cavesa
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4796 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, FrenchC2, EnglishC1
Studies: Spanish, German, Italian

Message 12 of 211
15 February 2013 at 10:09pm | IP Logged 
I am usually the pessimist too. :-)

I will, probably when I'm near the end of any of the Super Challenges. For now, I am adding the books to my log one by one, today there are children books by Évelyne Brisou-Pellen (a series of adventures of a young scribe in the middle ages).

Well, the only case when you could be misunderstood on this forum would be posting a list of books read in your native language (unless they are language learning related). :-)

Fasulye
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2012
Germany
fasulyespolyglotblog
Joined 5634 days ago

5460 posts - 6006 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: German*, DutchC1, EnglishB2, French, Italian, Spanish, Esperanto
Studies: Latin, Danish, Norwegian, Turkish
Personal Language Map

Message 13 of 211
16 February 2013 at 6:32pm | IP Logged 
AlOlaf wrote:
@Fasulye: Die Sache mit dem Dänischen habe ich mir anders überlegt. Ich mag die Sprache zu sehr, um auf sie zu verzichten, Ich habe mich dazu entschlossen, mit dem dänischen Selbststudium weiterzumachen, zusammen mit dem deutschen. Vielleicht beiße ich mehr ab, als ich kauen kann, aber diese skandinavische Sprache zieht mich an wie ein Magnet.

Das freut mich, insbesondere, weil ich auch die dänische Sprache so gerne mag, aber nicht nur die Sprache, sondern auch das dazugehörige Land!

Fasulye

BAnna
Triglot
United States
Joined 4409 days ago

409 posts - 616 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Spanish
Studies: Russian, Turkish

Message 14 of 211
17 February 2013 at 6:13am | IP Logged 
Welcome to Team Schnitzel! You have a wide range of books on your list. It will be fun to read what you think of them. Was the order random or is that how you plan to read them? The only one I've read was Der, Die, Was: funny, but a bit over my level at the time.

I 100% agree with you, there is nothing worse than an abridged audiobook for language learning purposes!

Viel Spaß!

AlOlaf
Diglot
United States
Joined 4935 days ago

491 posts - 617 votes 

Message 15 of 211
17 February 2013 at 2:14pm | IP Logged 
Thanks, BAnna! I tried to put them in order from easiest to most difficult, but it’s hard to tell just by flipping through them. I knew one of them belonged near the end when I noticed the second sentence was a 102-word-long minefield of imbedded clauses and elevated vocabulary. The Harry Potter books, on the other hand, seemed like a good place to start. I like having the matching audiobook to listen to in hopes of pounding the German intonation into my brain.

I can tell you love the language like I do and see from your log that you mean business. I feel like I’m in the right place.

Mach’s gut!

Edited by AlOlaf on 17 February 2013 at 2:35pm

AlOlaf
Diglot
United States
Joined 4935 days ago

491 posts - 617 votes 

Message 16 of 211
19 February 2013 at 6:05pm | IP Logged 
Es ist eine Woche her, dass ich dem Team beigetreten bin und ich dachte, ich sollte einen Fortschrittsbericht vorlegen. Was mein Ziel betrifft, habe ich:

fünf Kapitel aus Harry Potter und der Gefangene von Askaban vorgelesen.

die letzten zweieinhalb Stunden von dem Hörbuch der Kammer des Schreckens im Auto gehört. Dann ging ich zu dem des Gefangenen von Askaban über.

mir 70 Minuten einer Sendung der Filmreihe Heimat II angesehen.

Zusätzlich habe ich mich ungefähr 45 Minuten mit einer Muttersprachlerin per Skype unterhalten.

Ich hatte gehofft, mehr erreichen zu können, aber Valentinstag-Aktivitäten hatten Vorrang und nahmen viel Zeit in Anspruch.

This discussion contains 211 messages over 27 pages: << Prev 13 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version