bobloblaw
United States
Joined 4421 days ago

2 posts - 2 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Portuguese, Japanese

Message 1 of 7
13 February 2013 at 2:22am | IP Logged 
I'm looking for German and Japanese transcripts for Pimsleur. Wondering if anyone has run across a copy?

Edit: I've already finished the first 30 lessons of each language, so I'm looking specifically for transcripts for Pimsleur II and III. I find transcripts really complement the audio well—not sure what the company is afraid of.

Edited by bobloblaw on 13 February 2013 at 2:32am

1 person has voted this message useful

LaughingChimp
Czech Republic
Joined 4499 days ago

346 posts - 594 votes 
Speaks: Czech*

Message 2 of 7
13 February 2013 at 3:12am | IP Logged 
Pimsleur is desined as a purely auditory course. You are not supposed to use transcripts.
2 persons have voted this message useful

hrhenry
Octoglot
United States
languagehopper.blogs
Joined 4930 days ago

1871 posts - 3642 votes 
Speaks: English*, SpanishC2, ItalianC2, Norwegian, Catalan, Galician, Turkish, Portuguese
Studies: Polish, Indonesian, Ojibwe

Message 3 of 7
13 February 2013 at 3:34am | IP Logged 
bobloblaw wrote:
... I find transcripts really complement the audio well—not sure
what the company is afraid of.

Echoing what LaughingChimp says.

It's not that they're afraid. Transcripts are not part of the method. Their "challenge-
response" technique wouldn't (and couldn't) take advantage of any printed material
anyway.

Honestly, if transcripts for dialogs are what you're after, there are plenty of other
self-teaching courses out there that will provide that for you - Assimil, Teach
Yourself, Colloquial, etc.

R.
==

iguanamon
Pentaglot
Virgin Islands
Speaks: Ladino
Joined 5062 days ago

2237 posts - 6731 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Portuguese, Haitian Creole, Creole (French)

Message 4 of 7
13 February 2013 at 4:25am | IP Logged 
Pimsleur is designed as an audio only course. They have lately taken to including a small reading portion. The course is imperfect(as are all courses). It serves well as a supplement for other more comprehensive methods. Use it that way.

jeff_lindqvist
Diglot
SwedenRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6709 days ago

4250 posts - 5710 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: German, Spanish, Russian, Dutch, Mandarin, Esperanto, Irish, French
Personal Language Map

Message 5 of 7
13 February 2013 at 8:11am | IP Logged 
Maybe the (obvious lack of) content is the main reason why Pimsleur don't want anybody to post transcripts...

"Hey, I paid $250 and what the course taught me was.... THIS?"
3 persons have voted this message useful

iguanamon
Pentaglot
Virgin Islands
Speaks: Ladino
Joined 5062 days ago

2237 posts - 6731 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Portuguese, Haitian Creole, Creole (French)

Message 6 of 7
13 February 2013 at 12:38pm | IP Logged 
I recently completed Pimsleur Haitian Creole. I know and agree with most of the knocks against it- too much English, no transcript, too few words taught, somewhat creepily suggestive dialogs, etc. That being said it was still useful. Useful because of the graduated interval recall system, native speaker pronunciation and ease of use- I listened in the car and while walking. If all I used were Pimsleur and nothing else, I would not have made the progress that I have. If you use it as a supplement it works very well. The course could be much better, as configured, if they would just change some things-

1)Eliminate sexism get rid of dialog that either is, or could be construed to be, sexist. Fairly or not, perception is reality.

2)Use less English Though there were prompts in the Tl beginning around lesson 23, there should be more TL prompts earlier and less English.

3)Admit what you are Admit that your course is a good supplement to other methods and not a one-stop solution for your language learning needs. Market it that way and I think sales will increase.

4)Update the vocabulary While this course is fairly up to date. It would've been nice to have some reference to the digital age- email, internet and computer lingo, if only to say- "Is there an internet cafe near here? I need to check my email."

5 Stop focusing on business travelers Though this particular course did not have any businessman talk- no references to dry cleaners, meetings, taking notes and other business related vocabulary and phrases, many of their courses do. They need to make their courses more relevant to people who like to travel and are interested in the country's or region's culture. This course, though only one level, did that to a large extent.

6) Drop the price. I think they'd sell more of their courses if they dropped their overpriced product by at least half or even 2/3. They should end the whole cd business and go all digital.

Still, all that being said, Pimsleur was a really good supplement to my other methods. I like the audio only approach as it makes it independent of having to sit in front of a computer or with a book. It can be taken anywhere. I don't need or want a transcript as I agree that it defeats the purpose of the course, at least for western languages. The prompts put pressure on you to recall in a timely manner. If you don't, the audio moves on with out you. I didn't bother with the reading lessons because I didn't need them. For me, Pimsleur is a supplement. So if you're going to use Pimsleur, use it as I do, as a supplement, only if you can get a copy second hand or from your library.

2 persons have voted this message useful

hrhenry
Octoglot
United States
languagehopper.blogs
Joined 4930 days ago

1871 posts - 3642 votes 
Speaks: English*, SpanishC2, ItalianC2, Norwegian, Catalan, Galician, Turkish, Portuguese
Studies: Polish, Indonesian, Ojibwe

Message 7 of 7
13 February 2013 at 4:27pm | IP Logged 
iguanamon wrote:

5 Stop focusing on business travelers Though this particular course did not have
any businessman talk- no references to dry cleaners, meetings, taking notes and other
business related vocabulary and phrases, many of their courses do.

I know not all of the Pimsleur courses are business travel related - maybe it's just
the newer ones that don't focus so much on business themes.

I went through the Ojibwe course before and am going through it again, this time
supplementing it with other material, and it has absolutely no business travel dialogs
in it.

From what I understand, it was funded by various grants made available to the Ojibwe,
not the usual Pimsleur funding. The dialogs weren't created by Pimsleur either,
although the dialog creators worked with Pimsleur to ensure the methodology was
retained. The course was also created specifically for adult/young adult Ojibwe wishing
to learn their own language while retaining their culture, so a lot of the dialogs
pertain to pow wows, hunting, other ceremonial things, etc.

I generally like the Pimsleur method, but like most people, I wish it covered more
ground. That said, it's not all that difficult to extend the program to your own needs.
I've spent on average 20-30 minutes for each lesson adding material that effectively
doubles the vocabulary and grammar practice, if not more. I planned it out in advance,
though, and was fairly careful in choosing my extra material.

R.
==

Edited by hrhenry on 13 February 2013 at 4:29pm

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version