Triglot
Canada
Joined 5209 days ago

2704 posts - 5425 votes 
Speaks: French*, English, Spanish
Studies: Polish

Message 1 of 7
13 February 2013 at 7:22am | IP Logged 
Just recently I came across a Youtube video of an aspiring polyglot speaking Spanish. As I listened briefly to some very non fluent Spanish that this person had cobbled together for his fans, I thought about the purpose of this exercise and the proliferation of videos of people demonstrating their language skills.

I know that there are all kinds of reasons for wanting to make these sorts of videos. Perhaps you want to show the efficacy of a method. Perhaps you are asking for a critique. Perhaps you want to dispel any doubts about your proficiency.

Or maybe you really do have something to say. Maybe you just want to talk about language learning. This seems to be the main topic of these things.

I rarely find these videos interesting because there is so little content of interest to me. As admirable as some of these feats of language learning may be, I frankly prefer listening to native speakers talking about subjects other than how the speaker is learning the language.

I wonder what other people think.
1 person has voted this message useful

hrhenry
Octoglot
United States
languagehopper.blogs
Joined 4909 days ago

1871 posts - 3642 votes 
Speaks: English*, SpanishC2, ItalianC2, Norwegian, Catalan, Galician, Turkish, Portuguese
Studies: Polish, Indonesian, Ojibwe

Message 2 of 7
13 February 2013 at 7:42am | IP Logged 
s_allard wrote:

I wonder what other people think.

I think it's been talked about to death. Search the forum to find out what people think,
if that's what you're really after.

R.
==
9 persons have voted this message useful

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4486 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 3 of 7
13 February 2013 at 10:27am | IP Logged 
Stirring up controversy for no reason is not funny, s_allard.
5 persons have voted this message useful

iguanamon
Pentaglot
Virgin Islands
Speaks: Ladino
Joined 5041 days ago

2237 posts - 6731 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Portuguese, Haitian Creole, Creole (French)

Message 4 of 7
13 February 2013 at 12:15pm | IP Logged 
What a youtube "polyglot" does or doesn't do means nothing to me. I worry about my own learning. That's what concerns me.
6 persons have voted this message useful

s_allard
Triglot
Canada
Joined 5209 days ago

2704 posts - 5425 votes 
Speaks: French*, English, Spanish
Studies: Polish

Message 5 of 7
13 February 2013 at 1:42pm | IP Logged 
I did a search on the question and I realized that the question has been raised many times. Not necessarily in terms to my satisfaction but that's a minor issue. So I tender my apologies and will let the matter die. No harm intended.

Edited by s_allard on 13 February 2013 at 1:42pm

tastyonions
Triglot
United States
goo.gl/UIdChYRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4444 days ago

1044 posts - 1823 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Spanish
Studies: Italian

Message 6 of 7
13 February 2013 at 1:53pm | IP Logged 
s_allard wrote:
Just recently I came across a Youtube video of an aspiring polyglot speaking Spanish. As I listened briefly to some very non fluent Spanish that this person had cobbled together for his fans, I thought about the purpose of this exercise and the proliferation of videos of people demonstrating their language skills.

I don't know, I imagine there are a lot of motivations, as you said. I've posted recordings (though not videos) before, and my only desire is to get genuine critiques -- to imagine "showing off" at my level would certainly be ridiculous and pretty delusional. :-)

But I agree, I do enjoy it more when they talk about something other than just how they learned the language.
Quote:
I rarely find these videos interesting because there is so little content of interest to me. As admirable as some of these feats of language learning may be, I frankly prefer listening to native speakers talking about subjects other than how the speaker is learning the language.

Well, I imagine all of us prefer listening to natives when we are in learning mode, since they are the model we strive to imitate! In terms of actual learning of your TL, polyglot videos are of course just a little side-road curiosity, and perhaps a motivational tool.

Edited by tastyonions on 13 February 2013 at 1:54pm

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6482 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 7 of 7
13 February 2013 at 2:03pm | IP Logged 
OK, then let the matter die..

3 persons have voted this message useful

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version